Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 26, 2003, 3:35 PM   #1

Default uneven charging should I be concerned

Hi All

Have just given one of my sets of batteries their second charge (Maha 401 charger) and one of the four took approx 1hr 30m - 1hr 40m longer to charge than the others (slow charge setting).

This seems a very big difference. Should I be concerbed ? Is the unit faulty ? Should I look at getting it replaced ?

Thanks

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2003, 4:07 PM   #2

Sounds odd to me, but I don't have a lot of hands on experience.

Are you sure that all the batteries are the same age and general usage? Did they all get used the same way since their last charge?
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 4:24 PM   #3

yes all charged to full, then inserted in my A70 and battery warning flashed yesterday on my A70 so re-charged today.

Stef
Old May 26, 2003, 9:25 PM   #4

You might want to ask in the Canon forum to see if that camera is known to draw charge from the batteries one at a time or in parallel. I bet it draws in parallel, though.

I doubt that this is normal. What it's a sign of, I have no idea.
Old May 28, 2003, 3:17 PM   #5
Administrator

I would not be worried. The 401FS uses four independant charge circuits so that each cell gets exactly what it needs. That's the problem with the usual "pair" type chargers that require two cells to charge - one can have more charge than the other and so the low cell doesn't get a full charge. The 401FS monitors each cell and gives it the charge it needs -- no matter how long it takes.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 4:39 PM   #6

Steve

To me the question isn't about the charger. The 401FS is a very good charger. I think the proper question is "Should the Canon A70 discharge the batteries at different rates? Or should they all be depleted the same amount?"
Old May 28, 2003, 4:54 PM   #7

now you've got me worried again Eric
Old May 29, 2003, 8:00 AM   #8

stefank

Sorry about that! If that wasn't you question, then Steve is exctly correct. That model MaHa charger has separate circuts for each battery, so it can handle charging batteries at different levels of charge. It's the only way to go.

If you were wondering why the batteries had different levels of power, then I'd ask in the Canon forum. Others there might say "oh, it happens all the time" and then you (probably) have nothing to worry about.
Old May 29, 2003, 8:20 AM   #9

yep sounds like a plan. thanks for that

stef
Old May 29, 2003, 1:12 PM   #10

No two cells are the same - not quite true actually but you would be lucky if your set of cells were.

When I used to race model cars the battry packs were computer matched so they were all the same. The matcher would go through loads of cells to find the matched ones (six sub C cells in a pack).

The ones with the highest capacity and fastest discharge rates were given to the sponsored drivers and the rest sold to the public and they were very expensive. This matching process was time consuming.

Before the cells were matched they would be put through several charge/discharge cycles to settle them down and sometimes pushed - charged to buggery to make em have it.

So you pop down to the shops and buy 4 new shiny AAs. First they are below their optimum capacity, 2 they are a little skitty and can cause the charger to false peak (cut-out) and are you'll be lucky if they end up with the same capacity.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote