Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:23 AM   #1

I have read in several places that storing NimH batteries in the fridge or sometimes freeze is a goo idea for extended periods with out use. I knowthat Sanyo transport batteries refrigerated. Is this the best idea, charge the sets , seal to keep dry then throw in the back of the fridge (if storing for a month or 2)?

But then I read how many times battery users find traveling in cold climates drains the batteries. Is this matter of the battery has been operated while still at that temperature rather than they drained while exposed to the lower temps?

Has anybody found a method of warming and then keeping them warm in camera to keep a long shoot life in winter conditions?
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:38 PM   #2

Hello Creeduk,

The best for NiMh cells is to use them.

Cold temperatures slow down the chemical reaction. This is good to slow down self discharge, but bad if you are trying to use your camera in cold weather. I don't have a lot of extra batteries and store mine at room temperature.

In cold weather shooting you can keep your camera inside your coat, or keep an extra set of batteries in your pocket. When the batteries in your camera give out, switch them out and put them into your pocket. You may be able to get a few extra shots from them after they have warmed up and your replacement set has been used up.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:58 PM   #3

Thanks again Tom. I plan not to have too many sets on the go. Used to used rechargeable's as a kid a lot but fell into the trap over the last few years (with the Kids toys) of buying the cheap huge multi-packs of AA's. Now I am trying to work out (apart from the camera) what other uses I can put the batteries to do. The RC cars are one thing that they will work well in then no sure about the kids hand held games like leapfrog or if NiCad would be better.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote