Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:25 PM   #1

Is it true that even when the camera is off power is still being drawn frombatteries (e.g. NiMH)? Though, I'm assuming if it is true, that the amount of power being used is so minimal it's not worth worrying about? Correct me if I'm wrong. It just seems like a real hassel to remove/insert your batteries from/to your camera every time you want to use it. Just to maxiumize the power.

And if power is being used when the camera is off what is the power being used for?

A member of this forum told me he does this. Which is why I brought up this question.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:50 PM   #2

Generally, the switches used to power the camera on and off are electronic switches, and require a very small current in order to work. How small? I don't have figures for all cameras, but based on what I have seen, just a few microAmps. This is probably going to be less than the self-discharge of the battery.

I inadvertently left my camera turned ON in my camera bag for a week, and noticed no difference in performance when I used it again. I don't worry about removing battery unless I know I won't be using camera for over a month, and that hasn't happened yet.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:59 PM   #3

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Generally, the switches used to power the camera on and off are electronic switches, and require a very small current in order to work. How small? I don't have figures for all cameras, but based on what I have seen, just a few microAmps. This is probably going to be less than the self-discharge of the battery.

I inadvertently left my camera turned ON in my camera bag for a week, and noticed no difference in performance when I used it again. I don't worry about removing battery unless I know I won't be using camera for over a month, and that hasn't happened yet.

brian
Hey Brian,

I don't think I'll be doing the "in/out" (wink) with my batteries (I have a Sony DSC-H1 and it uses 2 AA batteries). Too much of a pain. Just wondered if it was true that some power is actually still being used even when the camera is off. Again, I'm assuming if it is it's too little to be concerned about.

I'm just on my 2nd charge. Haven't started shooting again yet. Just got my camera at the end of June 2006.

Cya.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote