Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Biweekly Shoot Out (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out-78/)
-   -   Point A to Point B- The Decision (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out-78/point-point-b-decision-184070/)

smac Feb 11, 2011 10:37 AM

Point A to Point B- The Decision

This was taken awhile ago but it came to mind when I saw this challenge.
Cheers,
Steve

smac Feb 11, 2011 10:42 AM

A more traditional submission to the challenge. Another shot taken awhile back but came to mind when I saw this challenge. Now I am off to see if I can capture some current pictures for the challenge.

See you soon,
Steve

Ordo Feb 11, 2011 10:54 AM

I can't believe that first pick. Truly amazing. What a capture!

vsch1 Feb 11, 2011 12:01 PM

Love the first image.....point A or Point B?

Looking forward to seeing more.

calr Feb 11, 2011 12:59 PM

Although this is not a common sight, I have seen photos in magazines of blackbirds doing this. I didn't know that there were Red-Wing Blackbirds in northern California.

Cal

Walter C Feb 11, 2011 1:49 PM

#1 looks like he is trying to walk on stilts. Just my odd perspective. Nice shots.

smac Feb 11, 2011 8:14 PM

Thanks everyone. Cal, we have a huge population of Red-wings. I think they come down here to get away from all the wet weather up north. :D

Walter, I love your perspective. I totally see it now. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before you mentioned it. Thanks

mtngal Feb 11, 2011 11:15 PM

I like the first one, too. Red-wing blackbirds can be so much fun to watch (last year I watched a couple of them around mating season, it was funny). While I didn't get a picture of one doing the splits, I got a few funny ones and had a wonderful time watching. They have these birds in the mountains around Southern California, too. They are supposed to be common, but they are clever at staying out of sight so I don't see them all that much.

zig-123 Feb 12, 2011 6:04 AM

I love the first image. You did well to capture it so perfectly.
Zig

pj1974 Feb 12, 2011 6:46 AM

Hi Steve

Both great shots. The first one is a truly amazing 'nature is this like?' photo moment! Well captured! So, did you only get one of this bird, or were there others (in a sequence?) Ha ha... birds CAN do the splits! (I can't).

The second photo I also like. Perhaps if you had a bit more angle (ie if you were a bit higher) it might have accentuated the road, or if you were lower and closer to the line, that would have been the emphasis. As it is, it's a nice balance.

Cheers

Paul

smac Feb 13, 2011 9:01 PM

Thanks Paul, No that was the only shot I got. Shortly after snapping that one he let go and chose the cattail on the right for a perch.

Cheers, Steve

smac Feb 13, 2011 9:03 PM

Thank you Mtngal and Zig. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.
Cheers, Steve

bhammitt Feb 14, 2011 4:47 AM

Love that first shot!!!

smac Feb 19, 2011 8:02 PM

Thanks Bob.