Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Biweekly Shoot Out (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out-78/)
-   -   Silhouette : Ovaltine Sunrise (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out-78/silhouette-ovaltine-sunrise-28113/)

Jun 25, 2004 6:40 AM

I call this "Ovaltine Sunrise". Anyone remember Ovaltine or Fiddle Faddle? They used to be made in my home town. Now the old factory is converted to condos but they preserved the smokestack. The covered walkway is actually the fire escape which is between the stack and me, the shooter. This shotwasn't planned until I saw the opportunity. I was doing a series on local historical buildings & houses when this scene popped into view. (I may have posted this in "Architecture " already.....then again, I don't remember, so what the hey)

http://img70.photobucket.com/albums/...unrise_800.jpg

jackrussell Jun 25, 2004 6:43 AM

Nice shot, you can't get much more backlit than that. :-)

gmaker Jun 25, 2004 7:56 AM

Very nice shot. And I remember both products. Am I dating myself?

Gil

Jun 25, 2004 8:05 AM

Gil, you'r possibly dating yourself particularly if you ever used those when they said Made in Villa Park, IL. I think the productsstill around but I haven't paid attention to them in awhile. Some summer days you could smell the cocoa for 2 or 3 miles around town, And cocoa bean mulch was "all you want for free"!

monkey143 Jun 25, 2004 8:45 AM

Very nicely backlit. I remember them both. Anyone hear of Peeps? They're made near me - but not in my town. I love those, especially stale ones, after Easter! :-)

gmaker Jun 25, 2004 9:02 AM

Monkey: you must be joking!!!!!:(

Jun 25, 2004 9:17 AM

Peeps used to be just for Easter but now they have them for most major candy holidays....Stale ones are just not as sticky as fresh and taste about the same...just like stale marshmallows.

monkey143 Jun 25, 2004 10:31 AM

They have a chewier texture. Who eats Peeps without ever trying them stale?!?!?

photosbyvito Jun 25, 2004 10:35 AM

ughh....chewy peeps? that sounds pretty gross...lol...maybe....hmm..

peeps are pretty nasty to begin with....pure sugar...great for kids ;)

Vito

i know ovaltine....they still make it....and fiddle faddle is still made too...

monkey143 Jun 25, 2004 4:32 PM

You guys wouldn't believe it - but I was doing my weekly grocery shopping and I happened upon PeepStars! They're white with red and blue speckles, for the 4th! I was so excited I almost took their picture. The cellophane has been torn and they will be at prime aging tomorrow. :-)

discodudette Jun 25, 2004 9:09 PM

First off, great shot! I really like the lighting behind it and it drew my eyes imediately! Great shot!

monkey143 wrote:
Quote:

Very nicely backlit. I remember them both. Anyone hear of Peeps? They're made near me - but not in my town. I love those, especially stale ones, after Easter! :-)

No way! Another similarity! Everyone thinks that I'm gross because I looove ths stale ones. I get them on easter, stick them next to my bed for acuple days and then delight myself in the delectable goodness that I call "peeps grandeur". I also microwave them which is very very good but if they get too big they get all over the microwave... which isn't fun.

Jun 25, 2004 9:31 PM

From Ovaltine Sunrise to microwaved Peeps......amazing thread.

discodudette Jun 25, 2004 11:22 PM

And I know of ovalteen and I am only a teen... so if that makes any of you feel younger! ;)

Jun 25, 2004 11:39 PM

Dudette, you make me proud.....

photosbyvito Jun 25, 2004 11:43 PM

hey...i did too! i'm older..like 15..but still!

Jun 25, 2004 11:46 PM

Vito, aren't you up kind of late for your age? Of course I'm nearly old enough to be your grandfather so I only need 4 or 5 hours a night.......Yeah right!

discodudette Jun 25, 2004 11:51 PM

Its called summer vacation! woo hoo! It's here for a reason!

photosbyvito Jun 25, 2004 11:58 PM

yeah...i should be sleeping..but i'm not finished posting to all the photos people have posted...lol

Vito

monkey143 Jun 26, 2004 6:18 AM

Wish I had a summer vacation! Enjoy it, guys! Microwaved, hunh, DD? I'll have to give my 4th of July PeepStars a go when they get stale (opened them yesterday, still soft this morn. I hope they didn't add some anti-stale ingredient!) :-)

bcoultry Jun 26, 2004 7:45 AM

Somewhere on the Internet, there's an entire site dedicated to Peeps.

Jun 26, 2004 8:24 AM

And somewhere in these forums is a pic of a box of yellow ones with a purple one mixed in.....PS trickery