Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Biweekly Shoot Out (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out-78/)
-   -   Unrealized - The Sky is the Limit (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/biweekly-shoot-out-78/unrealized-sky-limit-203502/)

Curmudgeon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 PM

Unrealized - The Sky is the Limit

1 Attachment(s)
Some of you may recognize this engineering feat!

She never got to show her stuff but what a beauty she is!

Calicajun Dec 11, 2012 8:56 AM

Nice shot, looks like she ready to take off to the sky. Toured that plane once back in 1982, it was something to see.

selvin Dec 11, 2012 12:34 PM

That's an awesome angle. Truly impressive bit of aviation istory.

saly Dec 11, 2012 12:57 PM

Is that the Spruce Goose? That is a very effective capture!!

zig-123 Dec 11, 2012 1:50 PM

That is a very impressive capture of a very special aircraft.:D

Zig

VTphotog Dec 11, 2012 4:07 PM

In it's own way, it reminds me of the Jackson Browne album cover showing the Statue of Liberty surrounded by scaffolding.

brian

calr Dec 11, 2012 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saly (Post 1330215)
Is that the Spruce Goose? That is a very effective capture!!

It is, indeed, the famous Spruce Goose on permanent display at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, Oregon.

Another notable airplane to see there is Boeing 747 mounted on top of a building that houses a water park of all things.

Cal

smac Dec 11, 2012 11:57 PM

Wow! AND I mean it. Love that shot.

ramcewan Dec 12, 2012 7:59 PM

Great image and theme. Out of curiosity is it a crop of a wide angle shot or a stitch or ??

Curmudgeon Dec 13, 2012 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone for the nice words.

I was up that way in September and stopped by. They are actually evaluating this shot to sell in the gift shop. I will believe it when a check clears the bank.

Ramcewan, it is a single wide angle HDR (5 or 7 exposures) shot cropped. This is where the Nikon showed it's stuff. It was shot at close to 17mm. I would like to go back and do a stitch job on this one. Maybe next summer.

Here is another from inside. It is a stitched pano of four shots (I believe shot portrait orientation). I tried to do this as an HDR but I would wind up with the same people in multiple places and a bunch of ghosts!

zig-123 Dec 13, 2012 4:52 AM

thanks for posting the the additional photo. The people help to show the size of the aircraft.

Calicajun Dec 13, 2012 7:47 AM

It's to bad that the display area has so much other stuff around the plane. I toured the Goose when it was on display in Long Beach, CA, sitting in the middle of a large display area with nothing around the plane. Sure made it seem even bigger sitting there all by its self.

smac Dec 13, 2012 9:05 AM

Hey, that's great news. I wish you the best of luck with the sale. It certainly is worthy. I really like the second shot as well. Great work.

Cheers,
Steve

mtngal Dec 16, 2012 1:09 PM

That first one came out great! I, too, saw it when it was in Long Beach. It was a very dramatic display, a fascinating bit of history. At least it has a good home now.