Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:50 AM   #2

! Very creative!

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:04 AM   #3

I agree, very creative.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:35 AM   #4

It is creative, alright, but that's about all I can say about it. I have visited that lighthouse. I have been inside and climbed to the top. I have been all over the grounds. The lighthouse has been beautifully restored and is very interesting to visit. It is not a psychedelic piece of Christmas candy.

I do not like anything about this image. You have posted some great shots but this is not one of them.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:10 PM   #5

I stayed at the campgrounds for a week. I too walked all over the park and climbed to the top, twice, where I was able to get some interior shots of the amazing Fresnel lens. Several nights I walked to the base of the lighthouse and discovered as the evening progressed the moisture in the air lit up as bright rotating spokes, two white to every one red. It is quite a sight! I took it as a challenge to capture the scene. While I think that the photo is accurate I also feel it falls short of the impact that one gets standing there.

Cal, as moderator, your comments bear some weight. Our styles differ, but I consider your comments as constructive criticism, and at times counterpoint to other views. Your comment, " It is not a psychedelic piece of Christmas candy" makes me wonder if you have ever visited the lighthouse late at night.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:09 PM   #6

No, I haven't seen it at night. The one time I was there, I was on a trip down the coast which terminated at Crescent City, CA. I think we saw a half dozen lighthouses on that trip although that was not the objective. There is a beautiful lighthouse in Crescent City.

I would like to see the Umpqua River Light at night. Is there actually red coloring in the lens to produce an alternating white/red pattern? I am seeking to learn about the lighthouse, here.

I still don't care for your picture but I'll end my discussion here.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:33 PM   #7

Yes, every third panel is red. I don't remember what they used but my wife says it is rose crystal. The lens was made in France in the late 1800s. On the tour they let you poke your head inside the lens. This is one of the shots inside the lens.

philby is offline   Reply With Quote