Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 3, 2007, 3:15 PM   #1

OK - since a post is limited to 2 pics and I already posted something you can see from "outside" now I got 2 shots for you with details from "inside". Link to a big picture was already provided in 1st citadel post. I consider these to be "details" since they show a special detail of thewhole building.

#1 - inner courtyard with entrances to shops and some balconies (yes - you can rent a flat in that building)

#2 - a wall: notice the different kinds and sizes of windows and the non-geometrical overall "feeling" - that's how the architect wanted the building to be.

Hope you enjoy them, have fun.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:56 PM   #2

Very interesting design.

Thanks for sharing
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3

Thanks again for sharing. I don't know if I could live there. My mind is too ordered to constantly put up with that chaos. Don't get me wrong. I would love to visit there and, of course, photograph the place.

Are the inside of the flats and stores as chaotic as the outside?

This reminds me of a story told to me by a good friend. When he was a Lieutenant in the US Navy, he was stationed in Japan for a period of time. He rented a private house while he was there and decided to build a table for a particular location inside the house. It was a corner location. He took all the measurements and proceeded to build the table. When he completed the table, he brought it into the location where it was to sit, he slid it into the corner but the edges of the table did not line up with the walls. His Japanese houseboy was helping him to move the table. He said to the houseboy "I am sure I measured correctly and did everything accurately". The houseboy calmly said "Table not problem, Mr. Bruun. Japanese house not always straight!"

It reminds me of a problem I often have when I am woodworking. I cut the board off twice and it is still too short.....

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4

Nice shots of some neat, creative buildings. Makes me wonder how they are lit at night....
RGRDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:38 AM   #5

Thanks for all the nice comments!

As for the "chaos" - yes and no. They are chaotic in a special way - less straight lines than in modern architecture, less symmetric constructs, no strife for perfection. Unusual (to say it in a friendly way) color combinations. Even the ground and the stairs are not even - in the means that you have to watch your steps in order to make sure you won't stumble. No really harsh edges, but a more wave-like playful smooth up and down which is very hard to photograph because at this time of the year you aint get some harsh light, especially inside, to produce enough contrast. I already tried to take some photos - but it's hard to find the right place and angle and then - there are always people and I can't crouch on the ground in broad daylight, you know?

The stores feel more like in a old building and sometimes more like a hobbits cave than a room. Flats are all (or nearly all) unique and you have to sign a contract to not alter some things inside to follow the principles of F. Hundertwasser. If you go inside you also get that "in a cave" feeling which can produce a somewhat "cuddly" feeling at times (hard to describe).

As for your story Calr, you can be lucky if one wall is straight in ONE direction there. No joke.

@RGRDigital

Uhoh - I am not sure about this - the cathedral is lit, of that I am sure, but the citadel? At first thought I'd say NO - there are peoples flats inside and this would not be very good to lit their windows all the night from outside!

Will pay more attention to this next time, though.

Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:32 AM   #6

Very unique! Nice work capturing this.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:55 AM   #7

Very interesting and unique....nice composition, too.
vsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:58 AM   #8

Makes a cool photo! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:38 PM   #9

Eeps! I missed the last comments! Thanks Bob, vsch1 and Donna!

Composition is something I try to grow into - extending my wish to "capture a moment" with the idea of also choosing a nice position to do this - because I feel this makes pictures more "intense".