Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1

A shot of delicious, delicious Acropole pizza from a few years back. I guarantee you've never had pizza like it - it's a very secret family sauce, and it's to die for. Only available in Pictou County, Nova Scotia - I've never even tasted anything APPROXIMATING the taste of pizza from Pictou County.

Set up the old Nikon Coolpix 4300 in the microwave on a self timer and tripod. Macro mode. Apologies for the blown out area, in those days i didn't know anything about highlights and lowlights. C&C welcome/encouraged!

Chris
Attached Images

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:31 PM   #2

It looks good. It almost like the camera got a taste!

You say the pizza has a very unique flavor. What is it similar to? I know that Japanese pizza is loaded with all kinds of seafood and other Japanese delacasies.

Cal

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:58 PM   #3

Excellent shot. That's gonna be tough to top. (get it...pizza...top.....uggg that was a terrible pun )
ShutterBugSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:35 AM   #4

Sorry, its not Acropole...it's DiGiorno! Just kiddding. Very original angle.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:48 AM   #5

Thanks all for the comments, glad you liked the angle! Walter and ShutterBugSmitty, you gave me a good chuckle!

Cal, the major difference is the sauce (though the cheese is a bit thicker than most places give you even when you ask for extra, and the pepperoni is a really hot variety that i've only been able to find in Nova Scotia). The sauce, instead of being a red tomato-based sauce, is actually a brown sauce. I'm not too sure what's in it, but
it is really spicy and has a real zing. Maybe even like some combination of bbq and pizza sauce, with extra spice thrown in. it's delicious.

I guess there was a greek family who immigrated to the area in the mid 1900s, and all of the kids opened up pizza places using the same sauce as a base. You've got Acropole, Ted's, Alice's, Sam's, Sam's II, Andre's, Andre's II, and a couple others. For example, Ted's has about an inch of cheese on top, whereas Andre's II (and presumably Andre's!) is a bit spicier. Acropole is probably the most popular!

I guess the most compelling argument i can make for the pizza back home is that Pizza Hut came in and had to shut down within 6 months because it wasn't making any money, meanwhile these mom-and-pop places are thriving. Good for the local economy, bad for the waistline! :)
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:53 PM   #6

Nice shot.
Now I got to figure out how to get the sause off the inside of my monintor. <G>
~BC~
twistedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:42 AM   #7

Yammy......thanks for offering
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote