Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:44 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
Fair enough, it was a suggestion. I haven't seen many more than about 20 active users. If they're all posting in different places, it could explain why posts aren't getting replies.
Personally, it doesn't much matter what gear someone used. A good shot is a good shot.

*shrug*
Exactly. Ditto.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:49 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
Fair enough, it was a suggestion. I haven't seen many more than about 20 active users. If they're all posting in different places, it could explain why posts aren't getting replies.
Personally, it doesn't much matter what gear someone used. A good shot is a good shot.

*shrug*
I get that too and I think that my point behind consolidation of some groups is one way to avoid having 20 people posting in different places. Four thirds and Micro Four Thirds s/all be merged into a single forum, ditto with the sony forums.

I also wouldn't stop just in the gear forums, we could really combine some of the post your photos groups and make them sub-groups or just one big group with labels.

One of the things that made the biweekly shoot out popular was that it was never just one thing and participation was encouraged.

Finally I wanted to address something else you mentioned about people just saying "nice shot" over and over. I think the opportunity to instead introduce a "like" type functionality would really help to alleviate this clutter while allowing people to give and get positive feedback. Other VB forums like this I have seen allow users to "like" a post and the author can see a count of likes and or who liked the photo.

Flickr has moved to this type of format where you post pictures and other users can favorite the photo or make a comment, this providing an avenue to give positive feedback without resorting to "nice shot". Users can then pick other users to follow and be presented with a stream of the people who you follow's work. At first I didn't like it but now it has gathered steam and I have to say it works.

One could imagine the post your pictures section here being similar with the ability to follow users who's work you're interested in or maybe even follow types, replacing things like the wildlife and landscape sub forums with tags that could be subscribed to. Users would have customized views or views by tag or views by friends or view all options and instead of engaging in the "nice shot" banter they can just like or comment when they have something to add.

On the other hand Flickr pretty much killed their group discussion sections by burying them which is a shame. I think any move by Steve's towards a like setup for picture posting section would need to keep the existing group discussion formats in the gear sections.

Just my .02