Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 8, 2004, 1:04 PM   #1

"The Bean" is a new sculpture in Chicago's new. Millenium Park. The park was just opened and dedicated a month ago, completed only 4 years late, but truly a special place now that it's finished. I just learned that the title of this piece is Cloud Gate and that it's creator, Anish Kapoor, hates the nickname, The Bean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/rgrotts/bean3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/rgrotts/bean2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/rgrotts/bean1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/rgrotts/bean4.jpg

Also check out http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=81for some other angles on the park.

Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2004, 1:19 PM   #2

I can see what you mean by "special," Bob. I really like this photo. At first glance, I noticed the parallax (?) in the buildings but as the bean came into view, I decided this adds something to the grandeur of the shot. The soft, round bean is contrasted by all the silver and city buildings. It's full of contrasts, and you've captured it well. It is clean and clear and very appealing.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 1:44 PM   #3

Wow! Great series of shots. I like Bean1.jpg the best. I like the way it shows the new framed by the old and at the same time the new bean frames some smaller subjects. This is outstanding.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 3:30 PM   #4

Wow, thats awesome! I love the sky in the reflection! Awesome shot that fits the challenge perfectly!
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 4:16 PM   #5

I can only emphasise what has already been said.

Great work RGRotts.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 8:19 PM   #6

Lovely shots of the bean. Only sorry I wasn't around to see it on its completion.

Thanks for the update , nice shots.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 8:38 PM   #7

Thanks Y'all...guess I picked the right morning to head downtown....
Old Aug 9, 2004, 3:01 AM   #8

Holy tomatoes. Super dramatic shot. If you use any of the photoshops even Elements parallax is easy to fix.

Suzan

Bean 3 is definately my favorite.

ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:26 AM   #9

hm....isn't paralax when you look through a non-slr viewfinder, and wat you takea picture of isn't wat you saw, because the angle of view from the lens was an inch lower than wat you were seeing?

anyway...

rgrotts...beautiful shots....you did well with exposure on them all...you picked GREAT angles....i like "bean 3" the best.....but the one you show in the thread shows wat it actually is the best....you can see some details on the bean itself..like some lines where the sheet metal overlaps...

very cool sculpture..great shots of it!

thanks for posting!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:38 AM   #10

Thanks again for all of the appreciative feedback. I decided to check out "parallax" and the on line Merriam Webster dictionary says the following....

[align=left]Main Entry: par·al·lax
Pronunciation: 'par-&-"laks
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French parallaxe, from Greek parallaxis, from parallassein to change, from para- + allassein to change, from allos other
: the apparent displacement or the difference in apparent direction of an object as seen from two different points not on a straight line with the object; especially : the angular difference in direction of a celestial body as measured from two points on the earth's orbit
[/align]

At this point, I don't understand what caused the "tilted building" effect it or how to fix it. Maybe I'll just pretend that it was intentional and not tell anyone how I did it....

It does make me wonder what's really going on with the lense in my camera.