Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 16, 2004, 9:32 PM   #1

I'm breaking the rules also but this was done recently and I may set up another in the next week or so. This was done to advertise and sell card sets on eBay and as cover art for possible packaging of these cards for retail sales. Haven't gotten to that phase yet but I have sold some sets by word of mouth. These were setup on black velvet which made it relatively easy to "purify" the blackness of the background.

Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2004, 4:43 AM   #2

No comments yet?

I think you've got a good product photo there RGRotts (is there something I can call you for short? ). You've got a little purple fringing and the resize hasn't improved things. But it is far better than most eBay pictures. And far better than most pictures on shop websites.

Well done.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:14 AM   #3

True picture-in-picture! Fantastic job, bob. All photos are nicely done. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:59 AM   #4

very nice, well done. I tried to have a look earlier but your photo refused to come up.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:23 PM   #5

Nicely done, did you print these greeting cardsyourself or did you have them professionally done?
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 2:33 PM   #6

Great Work, RGRotts !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:51 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. The shots are mine and have done very little color adjustment. I cropped for 4x6 printing because the Strathmore cardstock I buy only comes in 5x7 with space to add a 4x6 print. Initially I was printing my own on my Canon i960, but it seems that when doing volume printing, it's cleaper to have them done. I take a CD to a nearby retailer (Walgreens) and they print 50 4x6's for $.20 each, While U Wait....The colors stay true and they dry instantly. Some folks like the orchids, others my spring "collection" and I'm planning to add to the Christmas collection this coming season.....Interest has been encouraging enough that I have printeda "catalog" of almost 200 prints in index sheet format, 9 images to a page...
Old Sep 19, 2004, 8:45 PM   #8

Rob,

Very nice work. I've often thought about doing what you are doing but just haven't gotten around to it.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 9:08 PM   #9

Hi Rgrotts,

Just letting you know - the brushwork (partial background removal) is pretty visible if you have a new monitor that is excessively bright/contrasty. If you're using this to sell your wares (they look nice otherwise!), you might want to make sure the whole background is properly erased to a uniform black and no brushmarks are left so no part of your target audience sees what I'm seeing.

Seth

(now if I can just figure out how to get this thing to be a bit less obnoxiously bright...)
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 4:04 AM   #10

Thanks for the heads up SJ.....I can see what you mean if I turn up the brightness on my monitor also. In print form, that doesn't show but I agree, should be cleaned up a bit. I'll probably reshoot this anyway because that upper left card / image isn't one of my better ones at this time.....