Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 29, 2004, 3:07 PM   #1

You wanted to show motion? How's this? I was out in the garden one day (14th May to be precise, I had to hunt for the pictures) taking photos of Pickles playing. The aim was to freeze her in the air. My camera doesn't have a very fast shutter though and I was just about learning what the buttons on it do.

I've done an edit to this one. Let me know if it looks ok or not. The top right corner looks a bit rough to me.

Here is the entry.

And here is the resized original.

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 5:54 PM   #2

ferny wrote:
Quote:
I've done an edit to this one. Let me know if it looks ok or not. The top right corner looks a bit rough to me.

Well, a patient job, ferny.

Try to frequently and randomly change the zone where you pick up the clone stamp. This will avoid the appearence of patterns that cause the top right corner look a bit rough to you.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 7:26 PM   #3

Hahaha! Pickles looks like a slinky! I can only see one little bit of "blockiness" in the upper right corner.I think you did a really good job of cloning, but maybe I just need a new monitor! LOL :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 9:32 PM   #4

haha...i'll be the tough critique on this one....

the shots shows motion alot (haha so critique-y so far right? )

buuut i can see that you cloned....like sergio said, if you pick up from different spots each time, that really helps...

i had an idea, why not blurring it out? making the look of a small DOF...

you had ALOT of stuff to clone out, and you did VERY well...but, as i said, i was being the "tough critique" so i LOOKED for any signs of cloning

good entry ferny!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:01 PM   #5

That's a good idea, vito! I am pretty good at "disguising" my mistakes. My mom said I could mess up anything in the worst way and make it look likeI had purposely done whatever it was - and it looked better than the original! (just sharing a personal, happy memory of my mom) :-)Anyway, Vito's right. How about a nicevignette or something else where you cloned? I'm at work and this monitor must not be any better, since it still looks great to me. Pickles still looks like a Slinky! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 1:56 PM   #6

I read Vito's suggestion that perhaps you could achieve a DOF appearance by blurring rather than cloning things out, ferny. So, of course, I had to experiment.

My attempt at doing that is using a technique I just learned in PS. It's kind of complicated and I didn't apply it real well yet. However, what I'm posting below give the flavor of what can be done. Basically, I applied the PSCS lens blur filter through a gradient in which the blurring effect is least at the bottom of the image and greatest at the top of the image. With experience I am sure I can make it look much better, but I'll leave that as something ferny can play with :-)

Attached Images

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:14 PM   #7

wooow! geoff! i didn't know there was a filter for that!!! that's awesome!

testing it now

i was just figuring of blurring five layers, blurring more and more each layer, and masking them so they blended ok...

cool...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:19 PM   #8

Good job Ferny,

Vito, instead of using layers, you could use the lasso and make a large circle around subject, blur, slightly smaller circle, blur, and so on till you got the desired effect.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:37 PM   #9

Vito,

Here's the link to the technique discussion:

http://www.forum4designers.com/archi...4-7-97203.html

BTW, the gradient layer mask technique described will work with any filter, any effect, anything!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote