Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:53 PM   #11

OK, I am going out on a limb here (no pun intended) and pen my feelings about this picture.

To me, this picture is all about life and death. The upwards slant of the young limb signifies life stilted at its start. As a child would reach up to their parent, so did the limb reach up to the sky.

The hollow within the main trunk evokes emptiness within the parent, no longer able to sustain themselves, much less thosedependent on them. And in the background, darkness of death encroaching.

I did not find the picture as pleasant as #3. Yet I cannot help but feel a story behind this picture.

P.S.

I know, I know....don't take the brown acid. Flame away, I have my teflon shorts on.
mitchcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:22 PM   #12

When a picture does something in a person's head--whether happy or sad, good or bad--that picture has succeeded, at least for that one person.

There are some photographs that came out of the Dust Bowl days that absolutely wrench my heart. I don't know that I could ever live with those pictures, but they sure do affect me. And imagine this: many of those photographers had never before held a camera until the government sent them out there to take pictures of what the rest of the country needed to see. Pure amateurs, but they sure had vision.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:27 AM   #13

I saved two trees for last, this being one of them.

I'm not sure what to think. I didn't even see the branch in the center. To me trees should have something unsusal about them. That is what gives trees their character. The more peculiar the twists and turns the more they catch your eye but the branch wasn't what caught mine. It was the textures.I like this picture. I think I like it for the fact that it doesn't say much it just lets your eyes wander and feeds the senses.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:43 AM   #14

Taken at night with flash , of course, so only the subject is visible at all. The bark is off, the heartwood is open to pests and disease, but healing has begun, and the tree struggles for survival, like all living things.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:54 AM   #15

This is the other non-professional photograph. What I know: It was taken in a graveyard near sundown. The light hit that tree "just so," catching the photographer by surprise. He took a gang of pictures, but this was the only one that somehow spoke to him of the connection between life and death. Though the background was extremely dark, it wasn't originally as dark as this. Had it been a dim gravestone in the background, he might have allowed it to remain. I'm getting to be the worst old fogey about digital manipulation, but because this very same thing can be done and is often done in the traditional darkroom, I'll happily accept it.

Do I like the picture? I'll tell you if I ever decide.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote