Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/)
-   -   A520 or other model of Canon digital camera (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/a520-other-model-canon-digital-camera-71186/)

koy Nov 5, 2005 8:20 AM

I'd like to know.

Is it strong? if it' dropped ..

I have Panasonic lumix..it dropped just once time (2-3 feet from the floor) ..now, I can not use anymore.

so, I might be buuy A520..but I wanna know Is it stong?

novicecamera Nov 16, 2005 5:29 PM

I'm pretty sure it depends on the surface onto which the camera was dropped, which part of the camera hit the surface, etc. I don't know if anyone has conducted a study on which camera is the "sturdiest"

On a lighter note - are you planning to make a habit of dropping cameras? As a general rule, I try not to drop my cameras - seems a prudent approach you should consider following :?

propwash Nov 17, 2005 5:15 PM

Funny you should ask that qustion. I was in a store today looking at the 520. I noticed that when I turned it on, the lens extended, but the little blades covering the glass didnt' retract fully. The lens cap was only about 10% opened. I fiugred that the camera had probably been abused by so many people palying with it while it was on display. After I moved on, a little boy picked up that camera and dropped it about 3 feet onto a carpeted floor. I picked it up and now the lens cap retracted properly. The camera seemed to be fine after its ordeal.

I have a Panasonic Lumix LC-33. My son dropped it from shoulder height onto our concrete garage floor. Other than a tiny scratch on one corner of the case, that camera is also none the worse for wear. All functions work propperly two years after he droopped it. I think it all depends on what part of the device takes the brunt of the blow when it is dropped. I have seen some items die completely when subjected to a very minor jolt, and others seem to be fine after absorbing a huge impact.

alkemyst Nov 17, 2005 8:44 PM

QFT! I have seen many digicams falling while out and about...many powered up fine....some were dead.

Like cell phones though, I have dropped them several times and nothing is wrong...occasionally problems happen. My 8260 was dropped a lot, then one day it fell maybe 30 inches and died.

personally my wife and I put on our wrist straps first. Taking pictures on many vacations has people running into you not paying attention.

QFT! I have seen many digicams falling while out and about...many powered up fine....some were dead.

Like cell phones though, I have dropped them several times and nothing is wrong...occasionally problems happen. My 8260 was dropped a lot, then one day it fell maybe 30 inches and died.

personally my wife and I put on our wrist straps first. Taking pictures on many vacations has people running into you not paying attention.

alkemyst Nov 17, 2005 8:46 PM

I have no idea what just happened. Sorry about the triplicate post.