Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/)
-   -   Canon G12 Problem (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/canon-g12-problem-190945/)

george.upriver Aug 8, 2011 7:56 PM

Canon G12 Problem

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I have a Canon G12 that I purchased new back in May that occasionally takes completely messed up photos. By messed up I mean that the photo looks like it is way over exposed but also has hundreds of evenly spaced white lines running horizontally through the photo. This first occurred back in June and then went away for a while. Today I went to take a photo and it was doing it again. I tried changing the settings Av Tv Auto P etc and the problem did not go away. I shot a movie and it looked fine but switching back to photo mode still gave bad photos. After I removed the battery and then reinstalled it the camera worked fine.

I've attached an example image to show what I am talking about.

Any feedback on this issue would be much appreciated.

Shutterbug74 Aug 8, 2011 11:36 PM

I'd send it into Canon as it will be under warranty. Keep the picture on a SD card and reference it or attach it to the file when you send the camera. Ensure that you are detailed with how often this is happening, during what conditions, etc.

lesmore49 Aug 17, 2011 10:48 PM

I have a G 12 purchased January 2011. I've never seen that effect. My G12's been good...touch wood. I agree with Shutterbug.

Steve40 Sep 9, 2011 6:39 PM

Bad sensor.

JimC Sep 9, 2011 8:29 PM

+1

Bad sensor.

busher11 Mar 23, 2012 4:11 PM

My Canon G12 that we have at work just started doing the exact same thing. Did you ever get it resolverd.

laure Jan 21, 2013 12:46 PM

Same Problem of over-exposure and lines

I have the exact same problem with my Canon G12. All the pictures are over-exposed and with hundreds of lines.:( Video is fine however.

It happened in the past and I removed the battery and put it back inside and it was fine. I did not know what was going on. And it happened again this week. This time, whatever I do, it is not doing any better.

Since I live in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, I called a Canon authorized support center. The closest being in Merida (at 167 miles distance). The guy told me that with those symptoms I have to change the diaphgram.
However I read online that we have to change the sensor. Anyone knows what is the real problem ? Diaphragm or sensor replacement ?
I prefer to know what has to be fixed before I ship it (and I am not sure that those guys in Mexico know what they are doing...).:doh:

Please help !
Thanks

JLams123 Oct 7, 2013 1:58 PM

Exact Same Problem!

Hey! Did you ever figure this problem out? My camera has the exact same problem :(

jamesharoldparkin Oct 17, 2013 1:39 AM

G12 over-exposure

My 18 month old very well looked after G12 has just started having the same problem. No issue with video, but photos are all completely over-exposed. Canon have now said that there is a problem with the shutter assembly, which comes as a kit with the lens and it all needs replacing. No apologies, no acceptance of poor quality equipment, just cough-up the repair charge (US$180). Really disappointing. The only reason I am getting it fixed is because I also have a dedicated underwater housing, otehrwsie I would have told them to stick it.

bandana Jun 27, 2014 6:16 PM

Canon G 12 image sensor problem

It is a CCD Image Sensor problem. My camera has the same problem. This happens when the camera is bumped or stuck really hard with something. For sometime I didn't know how the sensor got defective in my camera. I looked at the body of my camera carefully and found a ding at one corner of the bottom of the camera. I never knew when that happened. You can buy ccd image sensor in Ebay and replace it by yourself or get help from professionals (camera repair centers in your area). They will do the job.

CamBum Jul 25, 2015 10:09 AM

Our G12 just started having the same overexposed results over a week ago when we were on vacation. Replaced battery and memory but the same results.