Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/)
-   -   Canon S3 IS (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/canon-s3-81655/)

vwmom Feb 21, 2006 9:33 PM

OK.. no bitching.. lets just compile info and thoughts on the new one popping out... SO far..

Upgrades from S2 to S3

- 5mp to 6mp

- 16:9 widescreen (not sure it's purpose yet.. we'll see i guess)

- aded ISO 800 capabilites (with the same 1/2.5" Type CCD .. how are they predicting less noise?) Complaints of the 610 and 620 make me concerned about this (ie.. same sensor.. more mp)

- movie snap.. (same features different name?)

- color.. ok.. looks like all other cameras now.. (kinda fond of my S2 bling..lol)

- they added 'sports' to shoot modes.. what settings does this involve?

- Custom colors.. they seem to have added another toy within that menu.. can't tell yet

- 0.2" larger lcd.. now 2" even

Now for the uncertanties...

- is the lense cap the same?.. it appears so in photos

- is the flash now totally automatic? or do u still lift it?

- UA lense.. that's the same right?

On the European site it has Intervalometer capabilites in the specs.. I can't get onto the US one right now.. Is that true?

edited for spelling

vwmom Feb 21, 2006 9:39 PM

I notice now that I've been able to get on.. The sample images are all in the low ISO range.. Sure be nice to see the higher ones.. :roll:

The S2, you need to manually raise the flash. I wonder if it's automatic now (I think it was in the S1?.. correct me if I'm wrong please). The tabs still appear tobe there. Photos taken from dpreview.

vwmom Feb 21, 2006 9:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

vwmom Feb 21, 2006 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They extended the space for the larger lcd downwards.. my S2 has a lip along the bottom this doesn't.. the overall demensions seem to be the same with the addition of a few grams.

videosilva Feb 21, 2006 10:04 PM

Face it, its JUST the S2 painted black. Hopefully the black will iliminate " THE FOG EFFECT".

brianhare Feb 21, 2006 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wouldn`t get all excited about this myself,,,,,they did the same with the kodaks,,,brought out the DX6490,,,then the DX7590,,which had a few new features,,,but nothing worth opening your wallet again for,,,then they brought out the Z7590 which only added a live histogram and different dock link port...

800 ISO unless on a dslr is going to have enough noise that the pics are going to suffer greatly...my other camera (not the S2 of course) ,has ISO 800,and it`s basically useless ,,but can get you a low light shot if you absolutely have to get it,,but at a great cost,,,lots of noise..

The only appealing thing to me on the S3 i see is the color...i really prefer a black camera,,only because wear marks show less...

I could care less about 6 megapixels if noise is a cost,,,i`d prefer 5 with less noise at the higher 200-400ISO....

Guess we`ll see what Steve thinks soon....i really value his input....

Oh,,,and this picture shows what i think about the so-called fog effect..

Brian

vwmom Feb 21, 2006 10:12 PM

AGAIN.. This thread is to DISCUSS the S3.

Thankyou brianharefor your constructive comments.

brianhare Feb 21, 2006 10:13 PM

Sorry vwmom,,,but i had to add the pic,,lol

If you`d prefer i`ll remove the pic and last comment if you like.

Brian

vwmom Feb 21, 2006 10:15 PM

omg.. CUTE puppy!!!!!! My son walked in and giggled about the dog yawning (he's 2)

I found something else.. The estimated retail price on the Canadian site is $800.00 :shock:That's 200 more than the S2.. 350 more than what I paid on sale. It doesn't seem to be that much of a price jump in the US does it?

brianhare Feb 21, 2006 10:21 PM

Thanks,,,,,Sarah wouldthanks you too,,,but she`s tired right now..

Anyway,,,on thoughts of this new Canon,,,would be really interesting to see if if noise is reduced at the 50-400 range,,,and about the LCD screen,,,i would think that the body of the camera would have to be inline too or it might interfere with a tripod being mounted...

Brian

brianhare Feb 21, 2006 10:25 PM

vwmom,,i paid 420.00 Canadian for mine,,,bought it off ebay,,then again i buy everything off ebay....basically i was in the market for a camera again and really couldn`t pass this up....i`m willing to bet the price drops drastically on the S3 as they have stiff competition from a lot of other cam makers...

Brian

vwmom Feb 21, 2006 10:30 PM

It's odd though that the us price is soo different.. the exchange rate isn't THAT diff. When someone can get the rebel for less than 200 more on sale.. WHY would they opt for the S3? :mad:

I can't see how the lower lcd should hinder use of a tripod.. but brings another question.. I wonder if they'vebrought the metal tripod mount back.. or is it still plastic?

brianhare Feb 21, 2006 10:37 PM

Well i can tell you this,,,you can get the rebel for about/or under 200 more,,,but getting a lense system to match the S2 or S3 is going to hurt,,,and you have to carry it too.At least this camera is quite easy to carry on a trip......lol..oh,,and on the LCD, it looks to be almost hanging below the camera in a pic i saw...can`t imagine them doing that though..

Brian

vwmom Feb 21, 2006 10:45 PM

Good point.. consumer point and shoot yes. As my S2 will end up down the road (one my DSLR fund has established itself) as my 'everyday' camera.. But still 800 seems heafty for a P&S.. I'm sure you're correct in the fact that it will drop due to competition. The new Pany is unfortunatly on the high side too I think.

Yup.. my S2 I got around 475 cdn from a store though.. matched sale price and a crap load of coupons..LOL I can't stomach paying retail. .. why people do I'll never know.. Even if a store has something at 'regular' price.. 8/10 times you can get the salesperson to drop the price or add 'freebies'. Most people either A.. don't think stores can do this.. or B.. have the guts to ask. In all factuality.. That's why it's called 'suggested' retail price.

videosilva Feb 22, 2006 12:08 AM

When the S2IS came out I paid $699.99 Can PLUS 15% tax.

Nice picture of the dog.

brianhare Feb 22, 2006 8:39 AM

Thanks videosilva..

Brian

dequardo Feb 22, 2006 10:19 AM

Same manual flip up flash. You can spot the small tabs on each forward edge if you look closely.

ShutterRunner Feb 22, 2006 2:29 PM

I was planning on getting a S2 for a trip to Africa in June. With the release of the S3, when do you think prices for S2's will start to drop? I think the S2 is adequate without dropping the extra & for the S3.

vwmom Feb 22, 2006 2:46 PM

My guess would be in the next month.. obvioulsy the closer the better, but then you risk low stock.. not sure. But yup.. for the price diff. especially I don't think the S3 would be worth 'waiting' for. I'd get the S2 sooner than later for your trip.. make sure you have time to get aquainted.. The longer I have my S2, the more I learn about it and the better my photos look. Just a thought.

---------------------------

I'm curious as to why Canon doesnt show sample shots at the high ISO they seem to be basing the new model on.. Ok.. most cameras can do low.. so why have THREE examples?.. All pretty simple shots too. EVERY little tidbit that I've found online.. through it all, I've heard no hint to ANY change in the actual sensor.. Hopping up theMP on what was there, seems like trouble.

Maybe we should start an S4 thread and email it to Canon..LOL

ShutterRunner Feb 22, 2006 3:02 PM

Thanks for the response! I do agree with your advice...I went to stores to "test-drive" the camera and there certainly are a lot of features to get acquainted with!

bigsyd Feb 22, 2006 5:11 PM

From what I have read so far, for me, I would consider upgrading.

I like the idea of gaining another whole stop via Higher ISO. From what I have read from initial reports and reviews, ISO 400 Image Quality on the S3 mimmicks ISO 200 on the S2. To me, ISO200 Image Quality on the S2 is passable. And from what I have seen, they are using a new CCD Sensor.

I also like the newly added feature of a live Histogram. That will definitley help capture better exposed images.

Oh yeah, I also think the black body color is slick too.

I guess everybody will have to assess the situation for themself. To me, its worth the upgrade.

vwmom Feb 22, 2006 5:25 PM

As posted in the other thread. The sensor hasn't changed.. That's the thing I was hoping they would do with the new model (as were others).. A jump in MP isn't going to make a difference in my opinion.. But Canon could surprise us with something not told.

mchnz Feb 22, 2006 6:21 PM

As I understand it the sensor has changed. Some people suspect it a new sensor from Sony - I think they believe this because it matches the specs:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17280034

vwmom wrote:
Quote:

As posted in the other thread. The sensor hasn't changed.. That's the thing I was hoping they would do with the new model (as were others).. A jump in MP isn't going to make a difference in my opinion.. But Canon could surprise us with something not told.

vwmom Feb 22, 2006 10:04 PM

There is NO concrete statement that says the sensor has changed. Canon hasn't announced a name change or different description of any sort other than a jump from 5 to 6 Mp. Any rumour that mentions a Sony sensor are by regular people that are guessing why the same camera having a tough time at 400 ISO, can magically do 800 now.

bigsyd Feb 23, 2006 3:18 PM

My thinking is that there had to be a sensor change. For one thing. S3 is supposedly doing images at ISO400 which look like the S2's ISO200 images. That being the case and the fact that they can now squeeze ISO800 and 6MP, I gotta believe the S3 has a new censor.

But like you said, what do I know. But if you ask me, by changing the model name to S3, its easily possible that they could have changed the sensor.

vwmom Feb 23, 2006 3:20 PM

Where have you seen example photos from the S3 at 400 ISO?

bigsyd Feb 23, 2006 5:13 PM

vwmom wrote:
Quote:

Where have you seen example photos from the S3 at 400 ISO?
There are more detailed discussions on another Digital Photography Review messageboard. There is talk that the Canon is using a Sony sensor in the S3 and images have been produced to show IQ of this sensor.

But keep in mind, I dont work for Canon nor do I have any insdie information.

bigsyd Feb 23, 2006 5:16 PM

Athough very small, here is a ISO800 sample used for marketing:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...13077&pageno=1

videosilva Feb 23, 2006 5:53 PM

Almost all the digital cameras are using Sony chips. In reality most people are using an off branded Sony camera of some sort.

vwmom Feb 23, 2006 6:38 PM

Look at that example.. I HATE is when marketers do that.. The same to the right says 800 ISO.. the one that's blurry shows nothing. What's the point of making a comparison?.... Also.. the 80 ISO photos shown on the other page give you the option of viewing a FULL photo. Really makes you wonder.. UGh.. guess we'll still have to wait.

dequardo Feb 25, 2006 9:21 AM

vwmom wrote:
Quote:

There is NO concrete statement that says the sensor has changed.
Yes there is and it is stated in the press release.

vwmom Feb 25, 2006 11:36 AM

It's gone from 5 to 6mp.. but it's still the same size.. Taking in example of the 610 and 620.. I don't think that will benefit the cam.. but obviously.. still too early to say.

dequardo Feb 25, 2006 4:25 PM

READ the press release. Slowly.

vwmom Feb 27, 2006 11:11 AM

Photos from the PMA of the S3.. It's actually grey!!.. The photos up to now, looked closer to black. This def. still has the 'speckle' look.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma2006/Canon/

dequardo Feb 27, 2006 11:44 AM

Agree that it looks more dark gray than black. Could just be thesepictures though. Canon's picture looked black black.

vwmom Feb 27, 2006 11:45 AM

In the camera desciption is says gunmetal grey.... I thought it would be closer to black.

roland79 Feb 28, 2006 8:08 AM

Regarding the flash popup, I'm happy with it manual, becouse every time i must take a picture in low light condition, i use the flash as a last resort. Always i try to solve the problem with higher ISO, or increasing exposure time, helped by a tripod.
However, never use ISO 400 on s2 IS.
For me, if the quality of pictures taken on S3 at ISO 400, equals iso 200 on S2, will make upgrade. So, i will wait some reviews...And i don't have any hopes that the 800 ISO setting will be usable.
And till next year, i hope to see some very beag leap forward in this domain, becouse of the davinci technology from texas instruments....

vwmom Mar 1, 2006 1:49 AM

So the S3 is listed on Amazon.com as the Canon Pro Series S3.. hmm.. .lol

Anyway.. It says it will be ready to ship May 31st.. why don't they just say June then?

dequardo Mar 1, 2006 6:57 AM

So they can quote a 'May ship date'? Amazon is typically VERY conservative when it comes to ship dates.

cward0625 Mar 1, 2006 10:57 AM

I have been interested in S3iS, but i need a digi cam for a trip i have on the 21st of May. With the release date on amazon being may 31st, it doesnt look like I will be able to get the S3IS. I am not a photographer, I am only now in researching getting a new camera finding out about ISO and polarizers, etc. I have had a MinoltaDimage Xt, a Canon A85, and a Canon SD200. All 3 of these cameras I have been pleased with the results on 4x6s. I just need a camera with a big zoom, and I want to make some 8x10s for framing and putting on the wall. I dont think i have the eye you guys have, I see the noise on alot of these cameras when viewing on a computer screen but fail to see that noise on 4x6s, and the few 8x10s I have printed on an sd200.

Basically, in explaining all that (my knowledge/experience/expectations of a digital camera) I was just wondering what my alternatives are.

To me the S2IS is looking like the best bet, the price will be $200 cheaper than the S3IS but will the S3IS for someone like me likely have noticeable differences in output?

I really would like to get the S3IS, because it is the latest technology, but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, due to the timing of my trip. I just dont want to be disappointed that I didnt wait for the s3?

Any feedback would be appreciated...