Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/)
-   -   NEw Canon EOS300D!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/new-canon-eos300d-12925/)

gunawan9 Aug 20, 2003 11:16 AM

NEw Canon EOS300D!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a new Canon EOS300d and only retails for $999

http://www.canon-europe.com/EOS300D

I think this is a good news for some people who's looking for a new SLR camera for less than $1000

wow

gunawan9 Aug 20, 2003 1:13 PM

it's retail for $899 body only and $999 with lens

wow I am so excited :)

btw it's going to be called EOS rebel digital

dcrawley Aug 20, 2003 4:52 PM

EOS Digital Rebel (US name) / EOS-300D (Rest of world) / Kiss Digital (Japan name)

hk_traveller Aug 20, 2003 6:19 PM

Hope that formal review and comparison with 10D will be released soon!

eric s Aug 20, 2003 10:05 PM

Although it will be compared to the 10D, it is really in a different class.

Yes, many things are the same, but they are different in important ways. The controls seem to make some things much harder they they should be (for example setting ISO or focus mode), the body isn't metal, it only takes 4 shots in a row. Lower max ISO. There are others.

To its credit it will be lighter and smaller. Less weight is almost always a good thing.

But the reality is that it's going for a different market. And I think there will be a market for it.

Eric

gunawan9 Aug 20, 2003 11:38 PM

The bad thing about this camera is the Plastic body.
I know that it makes the camera lighter, but it also makes the camera looks cheap.

i heard thet from canon review, it says that you can't see the difference in quality between eos300 d and eos 10d.
It also fix the soft image issues that's coming from EOS 10d.

I really want to see the comparison review between the EOS 10 d and EOS 300 D

I hope by next year, most of the new digital SLR camera's price will be less than $1000 :)

ardvark50 Aug 20, 2003 11:58 PM

Dcresource.com is listing the technical differences between the two on the main page.

eric s Aug 21, 2003 1:57 PM

What "soft picture" issue on the 10D?

Pictures from a camera in its class will be soft by default. This is intentional and by design. Because there is no universal sharpening level for all pictures. By not sharpening very much, it allows you to do as much (or as little) as you want on your computer. You can't "undo" sharpening very well, but you can easily add at.

I would much rather have this behaviour than for it to produce great "out of the camera" pictures most of the time... and really screw up those amazing rare shots which don't fall into the normal conventions of photography.

Eric

fporch Aug 22, 2003 5:59 PM

Bane of Olympus......

The timing and pricing of this 300EOS digital camera is obviously timed to foul-up the release of the Olyumpus E-1. May force Olympus to reconsider their pricing strategy - maybe.......

ardvark50 Aug 22, 2003 7:00 PM

Yeah, especially since the 300eos kit comes with a smaller lense designed for digital ala oly.

ardvark50 Aug 22, 2003 7:01 PM

Also, i can't wait to see what canon comes out with to compete with the sony f828.

jsmeeker Aug 28, 2003 6:49 PM

This is so cool.. Yeah, plastic body.. But it's well under $1000.

http://www.canoneos.com/digitalrebel/index.html

hopefully, more consumer level dSLR cameras will follow. The D30 would be cool, but at $1500, it's very expensve fr a guy who used to use a mostly manual, including focus, film SLR.

Altos Aug 30, 2003 11:25 PM

less than excited about the 300D... (but I'm an amateur)

I am sure the new 300 will thrill some/many people. However, there are a lot of camera's coming out that appeal to individuals who do NOT want to buy multiple lenses. There is a large segment of the market that wants a 28/35mm to 180/200 lens. True, purists may not need nor want this type of lens. But I believe that a major portion of the buyers do. Having a 28-90mm lens just about guarantees that the purchaser needs at least 1 more lens. So that $999 kit really doesn't cut it. It's really $1199 to get enough versatility for the typical, not profession consumer. Frankly, I think this camera will be a bust in the sales department.
I can appreciate the enthusiasm but...
Just an opinion.

Altos Aug 30, 2003 11:34 PM

300D...

I should have noted the obvious examples, Nikon 5700, Di7,
Fuji 7000 or Sony 828 (among others).

For most non-pro's who don't want to carry a bag full of stuff to get versatility, these products will far surpass the 300D. If the real selling point is "SLR" the get a true pro-SLR. But this offering just seems a bit short. Oh well...

Enjoy !

Onur Aydin Sep 6, 2003 1:57 AM

Dear Altos;

By the cameras that you presented, I hope you're not trying to consider digital rebel with nikon 5700 and minolta di7.

While minolta's all-time style "noises" isn't considered "clear" to our current digital photography world, (but damn they take great landscape shots :)) Nikon 5700 is a mid-level digital from a company that created a legend of digital photography d100 ...

On the other hand from your list for two others we have to wait until october & november to see what they have done. (More picture samples on the web) (actually some from great artists)

While considering Digital Rebel, I'm one of those who'll wait until the new year as well :) (Maybe around Christmas :)) ; on a SLR quality, Canon always been the icon of the industry. I believe they didn't do it wrong ... As far as the samples I'm seeing right now, they are quite succesful.

Kind regards;
Onur Aydin
http://idan.photopoints.com

sjms Sep 6, 2003 9:41 AM

the issues in the D7i and above series can be alleviated by a $40 program. noise is in all digital images. its just how/when to deal with it. Neat Image is a tool for all images. the term "clear" is improper here. the images are point sharp for its camera type.

the issues with the 5700 must be alleviated with a new camera. it produces an over all beautiful image. it falls short on other issues that cannot be fixed by firmware. it is a hardware issue.

to consider the D100 a legend sort of misses the boat. did you see the D1, D1x and D1h along the way along with the D30, eos1d and 1ds. those were the first and second volleys in the revolution. the D100 was an evolutionary step not a revolutionary step. just as the 10D and 300D is a evolutionary steps too. there is nothing new there just a optimized digital bodies for the price point. marketing done well.

eric s Sep 6, 2003 10:54 AM

The only thing I would say might qualify as "revolutionary" about the D100 is its battery life. It is just amazing.

But that hardly qualifies the camera as revolutionary.

Eric

sjms Sep 6, 2003 11:11 AM

thats wht it is so relatively slow compare to its big brothers

Onur Aydin Sep 6, 2003 7:46 PM

Dear sjms;

First at all thank you for your nice reply. I've been on forums all my life and it's truly hard to find people that can reply to thoughts in a nice, and intelligent form.

Minolta's style always have been this way. That's why in almost all other digitals there is a sharpening option to reach Minolta's unique ability. On the other hand, Minolta should tried at least on the digital world to customize their sharpening option.

I completly agree about 5700 ... The thing I can't understand is this; a company that can create d100 and all the d series, creates a hp mid level digital. It's like Porsche brings a "camry" to the industry. Bad marketing decision my opinion. (Even though it has been quite succesful in sellings, but surely less than d series market succes)

About why presenting d100 as a legend , all d series are legendary products :) An option to mid-level photographers (%40 of photographers) helping them become "hidh-level" in photography ; is a great revolution and will always be ... :)

NHL Sep 6, 2003 8:09 PM

Quote:

On the other hand, Minolta should tried at least on the digital world to customize their sharpening option.
... I thought they already had this option on the D7/i/Hi! By selecting Sharpness to Soft (-), instead of Normal, the somewhat perceived noise subsides quite a bit, also lowering the contrast reduces it too. :wink:

Onur Aydin Sep 6, 2003 9:59 PM

Dear NHL,

I'm just checking out the samples on the photo-sharing web sites, and unfortunatly I didn't see any soft results from a minolta ...

On the other hand, a carl zeiss lens would do the trick probably :)

Regards; Onur.

NHL Sep 7, 2003 2:03 PM

Quote:

I'm just checking out the samples on the photo-sharing web sites, and unfortunatly I didn't see any soft results from a minolta ...
You're probably right, this setting (if used) is reflected in the EXIF info but most owners don't bother since they don't think it's big of a deal! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

On the other hand, a carl zeiss lens would do the trick probably :)
Isn't the noise cause by the processing. How can a lens correct this? But a poorly designed lens can add to the CA for example... :wink: