Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/)
-   -   New Canon SX10 IS loud zoom mechanism? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/new-canon-sx10-loud-zoom-mechanism-165182/)

dtakias Jan 24, 2010 12:07 PM

New Canon SX10 IS loud zoom mechanism?

Last week after lots of searching I managed to source a refurbished SX10 IS in new condition with 1year Canon warranty. Also bought a 270EX to help me get some good night shots :)

My problems is that the zoom mechanism sounds a bit loud and doesn't feel smooth when holding the camera.

Today I went down the shops and after trying the zoom mechanism on the SX20 I could tell the difference! The one on the SX20 feels much smoother and nearly silent!

Is there something wrong with my SX10? Or is it because the SX20 is a newer model and possibly uses an improved mechanism?

I can still return the camera under my 7days cooling off period so please advise :confused:

mtclimber Jan 24, 2010 2:08 PM

dtakais-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

Generally speaking, the zoom mechanism should be smooth and quiet. Some zooms do have pre-determined intervals. However, the zoom mechanism should be quiet and not emit a grinding noise.

You are protected by your 1 year Canon Warranty. However, if it bothers you, I would return the camera.

Sarah Joyce

Hards80 Jan 24, 2010 2:12 PM

the zoom mechanism should be no different on the sx10is and the sx20is.

dtakias Jan 24, 2010 2:34 PM

Thank you for your replies. It's good to be here.

Unfortunately I couldn't test another SX10 in store because there was non left! I've tried two electronics stores but they only had the SX1 and SX20

costa Jan 24, 2010 6:55 PM

sx1 has the same mechanic, electric, lens and zoom as the sx10

dtakias Jan 26, 2010 8:02 PM

ok thanks. unfortunately they cannot replace it but they can get me a refund!

mtclimber Jan 26, 2010 10:05 PM

dtakias-

In as much as this is bothersome and the portent of future problems, it is probably wiser to take the full refund, and look for another SX-10.

Sarah Joyce

dtakias Jan 28, 2010 5:31 PM

I actually tried an SX1 IS today and the zoom felt a bit smoother, so maybe mine has been dropped or something....question now is do I stay with it or aim for the *noisy* SX20?

I have also invested in an external 270EX flash so it may be better if I stay with canon!

mtclimber Jan 28, 2010 8:31 PM

dtakias-

Having purchased the EX-270 flash, you pretty much have to go Canon. However, I would look on E-Bay and www.keh.com for a used SX-10, which might repeat your same scenario, but potentiallsave you some $$. The SX-10 will show less noise than the SX-20.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber Jan 29, 2010 12:00 AM

dtakias-

I found lots of SX-10 cameras over on E-Bay and as I was looking around, one sold for $223.00 delivered, which I thought was a pretty good price.

Sarah Joyce