Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/)
-   -   Sony Tele converter, Canon S3, why so good? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-21/sony-tele-converter-canon-s3-why-so-good-106616/)

Changeling Nov 15, 2006 2:07 PM

I have researched getting an S3 for several weeks now and one question really bugs me!
Why does the "SONY" Tele converter DH-1758 do so darn well on a Canon S3?

I would have thought that a Canon Tele converter would have been better, but that doesn't appear to be the case!

Doesn't something like this "Stick" in Canons throat?
Changeling

Rick-S Nov 15, 2006 5:23 PM

Teleconverters by nature are pretty generic and are easily brand swapable in most cases. However, they are not necessarily of equal image quality.

Here's an old link that does a nice comparison of three high quality, well respected TCs, The Oly B-300, Oly TCON 14B, the Sony HGD-1758. The test camera was the venerable Oly C-2100UZ 2Mp ultra zoom camera. To my eyes, as much as I hate to admit it, the Sony is the clear winner. You'll need to give the page a little while to load, 30 seconds or so.

Canon also made some very respected TCs back in those days, that generally received favorable comments on the forums.

----------------------------------
Edit - 18 Nov 2006 - 2150hrs
Hmm, I could have sworn I included the link. I even proofed it.

Anyway, here it is ...

----------------------------------
Re-Edit at 2200hrs
Well. it seems to be stripping the link. My bad. Apparently, I don't understand the procedure.

Changeling wrote:
Quote:

I have researched getting an S3 for several weeks now and one question really bugs me!

I would have thought that a Canon Tele converter would have been better, but that doesn't appear to be the case!

Changeling

mrphotoman Nov 18, 2006 12:29 PM

you forgot to post the link.

Rick-S wrote:
Quote:

Teleconverters by nature are pretty generic and are easily brand swapable in most cases. However, they are not necessarily of equal image quality.

Here's an old link that does a nice comparison of three high quality, well respected TCs, The Oly B-300, Oly TCON 14B, the Sony HGD-1758. The test camera was the venerable Oly C-2100UZ 2Mp ultra zoom camera. To my eyes, as much as I hate to admit it, the Sony is the clear winner. You'll need to give the page a little while to load, 30 seconds or so.

Canon also made some very respected TCs back in those days, that generally received favorable comments on the forums.

Changeling wrote:
Quote:

Changeling

Rick-S Nov 18, 2006 8:58 PM

I edited the original post to include it (the link). Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Rick

mrphotoman wrote:
Quote:

you forgot to post the link.

Rick-S wrote:
Quote:

Changeling wrote:
Quote:

Changeling

fat_miao Nov 20, 2006 11:34 PM

would the issue of Canon's being 1.5x while Sony's being 1.7x that made the choice.

I myself are using my S3is with Sony's, coz i can't get the Canon anything cheaper than Sony here.