Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:03 PM   #1

Default 7D Mark II Shutter Release/Timer

I want to do some astrophotography and am in need of a shutter/timer release. I would like to start out with a wireless device. Do any of you have any good suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Tangula
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:02 PM   #2

G'day Tangula
When you say 'astro' - do you mean 1) continuous startrails or 2) short exposure pics of the milky way??

As far as 1) goes all you need is a $10 remote control to lock the shutter in continuous mode, and for 2) a super-fast lens .... F1.4 to F2.0 and ISO 6000+ can achieve lots of things

So ... a tiny bit more info from you please - and then the answers can follow quickly
Hope this helps, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:45 PM   #3

Greetings Phil,

I want to do several things, 1. Take photos about 15 minute long exposure of the northern lights. 2. Take photos of the Milky Way and 3. Do long exposure evening shots of the sky and various subjects (old buildings and old vintage cars) under the stars.

Obviously, I am very new to night photography so I may need to do a lot of practice and would rather have something that does not have a cable attached to it. I did take an hour class of ghosting and long exposure painting and might play around more with that as well.

If you have experience with camera straps I am looking to carry two cameras and would like to straps that hold one on each side of my body when I hike the hills with my dog. Do you know much about which dual straps would be good?

Thank you so much for always answering my questions Phil. I really appreciate the time you take to help me.
Tangula
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:00 PM   #4

G'day Tangula

Your list of 'wanna' items sounds like some of mine at times ... us mob of 'togs, we don't want much do we

1. Take photos about 15 minute long exposure of the northern lights.
To my knowledge, very few dSLR cameras when set to "B" will run for over 5 minutes, factory set so as to not overheat the sensor. While it is quite probable that the sensor could do a 20 or 30 minute exposure, the camera maker seem to keep it lower for [warranty] safety reasons. You can test your camera with the lens cap 'on' and on the computer later, look at the exif data to see the exposure time so created

What it does mean for most of us is the need to create a 'long' exposure via a series of shorter exposures, stacked via software after the event ~ and to achieve this we create stuff like 100 or more 30 sec / 60 sec exposures to build up the final picture. The software I use for all this stuff is from 'Startrails.de', a free / donation product, really excellent and easy to use

2. Take photos of the Milky Way
This stuff is very different from startrails, as here you do not want 'streaks' - so it is short exposures, taken with wide-angle lenses at high ISO settings and very wide apertures. This is where people are favouring their 'nifty-50' if they have one, as the F1,8 max aperture does make it easier to grab a beaut result - recognising though that the lens is not a wide-angle one

3. Do long exposure evening shots of the sky and various subjects (old buildings and old vintage cars) under the stars.
Here it seems you are talking about the 'regular' long exposures up to one minute duration, the sort of stuff we all seem to do from time to time. When I do these, if there are street lights / shop windows that will cause the exposure meter to mis-read somewhat, I set the camera to EV-1.0 to keep the skies 'black'

4. Do you know much about which dual straps would be good?
Not really - dual cameras has not been my style since I gave up doing weddings some 30-or so years ago. But for my bush walking sort of stuff, I have added a 2nd 'tummy' strap to my camera - this being about 1-1/2" wide with "D" clips at each end, and I wrap it around my tummy and it holds the camera tight against me as I go clambering over rocks and silly stuff like that. I have seen wedding 'togs with a heavy duty "H" shaped harness holding 2 cameras, but I know nothing about them as to maker or price

Hope all of this makes sense
Phil
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:10 PM   #5

Wow, Phil thank you so much for all the information you provided. I took a couple hour class regarding long exposure and we got into some deep discussion about taking photos of the stars and milky way. The gentleman that was giving the training said he would love to go out and take photos with someone rather than always go out alone so once our weather cooperates we plan to go out and shoot some night skies. The temperatures have been below zero with predictions of storms again for the next several days. He had some photos where he did what he called painting. For example he had a photo of a sign in front of a beautiful starry sky. He said he set his camera up for a 20 second exposure in the dark, then took a flashlight and shined it on the sign and turned it off and let the camera process. It was gorgeous. I want to go out and play around with this to see what I can come up with. That is why I was looking for a wireless shutter/timer release. I would love to be able to walk out to the object, shine a flashlight on it while I am remotely taking the photo.

In this class he had some luminex (sp?) wire in different colors that we used to create interesting lighting in the dark. We also had a very small glass bulb that he attached a small flashlight that we could write something while our cameras were processing in the 30 second timeframe. You had to write your word backwards...such as EVOL was love and then it would show up properly on your photo. It was really neat. I am just learning to use my camera well rather than using the auto settings. LOL It is so much fun and I am so excited to see how much my photos improve from the classes and all my reading.

I really appreciate all the information you are sharing. THANK you so much.
Tangula
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:12 PM   #6

Hi Again Tangula
Yes - isn't it beaut the things we can do with the camera + a bit of imaginative fun !!

Also - try a child's sparkler that burns for 15 - 30 seconds .... gently bend the wire stem into a loop, tie a bit of string - maybe a foot or so long - and twirl is around your head during the exposure. You can create all sorts of circular patterns going every which-way

Also from the $2 shops are child's flashing gizmos - try these as well while you wave these around in the dark creating shapes & patterns

Have FUN !!
Phil
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:22 AM   #7

Phil,

It would be fun if one was a wedding photographer to take some of the glowing wire and bend it into the shapes of hearts, in the dark flash your light on a couple fancy glasses of bubbly and the hands with rings...have the hearts and even the first names of the bride and groom get a photo of the bubbly and the hands with rings of the bride and groom in front of the illuminating lights. There seems to be endless amounts of potential. If only I knew how to photograph better. ha ha.

Take care Phil. I love seeing your photographs in the wildlife forum. You have some beautiful creatures out there in Oz Land.
(Hugs)
Tangula
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:27 PM   #8

The 7DMKII has a built in intervolometer (SP) that you can program for length of espouser as well as how long between shots. Check you manual for the details

Hope this helps.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:01 PM   #9

Thank you so much for your Mugmar. I have bee reading so much about my camera and the endless capabilities this camera has.