Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:52 PM   #1

Default I Need a good first lens for my 77D - I am new at this.

I purchased a Canon 77D body only. I need a good everyday lens without breaking the bank. I am not a professional photographer but like to take pictures of the family, vacations and nature (landscapes and birds). I think I regret not having bought the camera with a kit lens (18-55mm). My friend suggests a 50mm only (prime?) lens but my thought is that may be too limiting. I like Canon and I am reluctant to purchase a lens by any other maker - although that is only because I don't know any better - I have nothing to base that opinion upon. I have been online and know that a lens can be quite expensive. The cost of a "kit lens" is appealing - your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Price is a big factor for me - if price were not a factor then I would have purchased a pro lens with the camera - thank you! Dan in Florida
Moofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:48 AM   #2

Unfortunately, the "Kit Lens" is only inexpensive when you buy it as part of the kit. Since you bought your 77D "body only", that option is no longer available to you.

I don't think the 50mm prime would work well for most of what you want to do. I'd recommend the Sigma 17-70, but if you're reluctant to go with third-party lenses, there's the Canon 17-85. It's not as good as the Sigma and it costs more, but it's a Canon. That should work well for much of what you want to do, but it might not always be long enough for birding. For that, I'd suggest the Tamron 70-300, but the Canon 70-300 will work as well.

You might be tempted to look for a single lens to cover everything, but jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lenses never work as well as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges. And, after all, you bought an interchangeable lens camera for that very reason.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:47 PM   #3

TCAV: thank you for your thoughts and effort put into your kind reply. I appreicate your help. Dan
Moofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:40 PM   #4

You've probably done something by now but a few quick thoughts. For what you want to shoot you need to go from wide angle for family/indoors shots to "normal" for travel/family/landscape to telephoto for nature/animals/birding. With the 1.6 crop factor of Canon sensors you need a fairly wide lens on the wide end. The only single lens that comes to mind to cover all those aspects is the Tamron 16-300. Canon makes an 18-300 but that extra 2mm width on the wide end will make a significant difference indoors. A two lens solution would be something like the Canon 15-85 which helps a bit more on the wide end and 70-300 or 100-400 but that's going to get up there in price some. What did you end up doing? What are your thoughts now that you've got a few months experience with it?
Leo_B is offline   Reply With Quote