Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon EOS dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-eos-dslr-41/)
-   -   Never ending questions - I have questions (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-eos-dslr-41/never-ending-questions-i-have-questions-164417/)

JohnG Jan 14, 2010 1:45 PM

Flash does not affect depth of field or subject isolation. BUT, it is another variable and when playing around with flash you can get inconsistent results (sometimes under exposed, sometimes overexposed) which can be somewhat frustrating.

gman1987 Jan 19, 2010 3:05 PM

How much does the lens effect the depth of field? Using my kit lens will I be able to manipulate the dof like a higher end lens? I took a few pictures this weekend but didn't see a lot of differenc in the dof from the lowest f# to the higher numbers I used. Is this because my lens only goes to F/3.5?

Hards80 Jan 19, 2010 3:08 PM

also, i am assuming since you said 3.5, you are shooting it at its lowest focal length (18mm). and a short focal length will have a larger dof anyways, especially on a crop body (more dof from smaller sensor), so at 18mm you are not going to have any shallow dof really at 18mm at 3.5 anyways, especially if you are any measurable distance away.

the amount of depth of field will be influence not only by the aperture, but also the focal length, distance from subject, and sensor size.

gman1987 Jan 19, 2010 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1041937)
also, i am assuming since you said 3.5, you are shooting it at its lowest focal length (18mm). and a short focal length will have a larger dof anyways, especially on a crop body (more dof from smaller sensor), so at 18mm you are not going to have any shallow dof really at 18mm at 3.5 anyways, especially if you are any measurable distance away.

the amount of depth of field will be influence not only by the aperture, but also the focal length, distance from subject, and sensor size.

Let me get this right. the 3.5 is only achieved at the 18mm focal length? Does that mean the 5.6 is the widest aperture at 55mm?

shoturtle Jan 19, 2010 3:18 PM

yes on the kit lens 5.6 is the widest it gets at 55mm

gman1987 Jan 24, 2010 6:35 PM

I was looking around craigslist and found a Canon 50mm 1.8 (11) for sale for $50. A few questions. Is this what is considered a prime lens? What would you use this for? Even though I haven't figured out how to use the lens I have, would this lens at this price be a good idea anyway? I'm just thinking that if it is something I will eventually use maybe I should jump on it. Thoughts?

shoturtle Jan 24, 2010 6:55 PM

Yes it is a prime lens, and the plastic fantastic is a very good one, ant 50 bucks is pretty good for it. I sells for about 100 new. You can use it for portraits, low light, and even macro shooting if you set it to mf. This lens will be able to give you a nice bokem effect when you set it to the wider apertures. It is a great little lens.