Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:27 PM   #1

I think I posted the frist one in the wrong forum so i'm posting it here:

I found a local Canon dealer in Hawaii who said his next shipment should be in this week. He has a package deal for the XTi and the 17-85 IS lens for $1299. Is that a good deal?

He also wants to sell me the 580EX for $470 for my indoor shots. He believes getting a low F lens wouldnt be worth it and I'm better off with the lens he's offering for everyday use and it will take fine "famly party" shots indoor with the flash.

Is that flash overkill? He said he has 430EX for $200 something. But said the cycle time is way worse. I would be able to take much more quicker shots with flash with teh 580EX, take MORE shots and the flash has a better even coverage width wise. And thats why I shouldnt get the 430ex.

Any help?

He also said he could set me up with the 70-300 IS lens for like $699 or something.
starstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:55 PM   #2

simple,

anything unbelievable is always not worth the try.

If its acceptable and like 100-150 dollors off the actual market value it shud be legitimate.

But do check the www. resellerratings.com for users reviews.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:15 PM   #3

I figured that his price was right. I was meaning deal, like was it worth what he was offering?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:09 PM   #4

Why not compare a reputable online dealer? For example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

B&H offers an XTi body for approx. $800, and the 17-85 IS for $510, so $1299 is good, if not amazing. (However, B&H is out of stock on the XTi at the moment.)

B&H offers the 580EX for $380, though. (The 430EX is $240.) I give the prices with full US warranty, rather than the gray market versions.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether it's better to deal with a local shop or online.

I have no connection with B&H, other than having purchased one item (a 430EX) from them. The main peculiarity in dealing with them is that they accept no orders from Friday night to Saturday night; the owners are orthodox Jews.
bobkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:18 PM   #5

ok this is MY fault. I had put up a previous post on what I was looking for in a dslr. When I meant if this was a good deal, I meant if it was good for what I wanted. I forgot that I wasnt posting this in the original post of mine.

I didnt post them together because I was asking some questions about flashes and I didnt want that to be mixed up in my original post. sorry to confuse everyone.

Here was my original post (btw, I settled on the XTi):

First of all I have a Sony 828 and I love the macro/zoom/features of it. But its breaking. Keeps turning off for no reason, anyways not to dwell on that. This is what I'm looking for:
1) DSLR
2) Good MP (greater than 8MP)
3) Good low light (A must as the Sony could never do that good without introducing noise)
4) Built-in flash (Just because I'm lazy and sometimes just wont have the room to carry the larger flash)
5) Some sort of anti shake
The kinds of shots I would be doing is indoors, scenery, people. Like that of one would take on vacation. I hate using flash unless I had to. Which is why I want a camera that can do indoor (iso 800+) without introducting too much noise. I want something that I can do wide shots of family. My 828 did 28mm, which I found was decent. I want to be able to shoot with zoom. My 828 did 200mm which I found was a good distance. I want to spend around $2k with lenses and camera.
I was thinking about the new Canon rebel xti or the Nikon D80 or D200.
What kind of lens? I dont want to carry alot of lenses with me. But I know you cant get a all-in-one with low light ability.
Please help! I only have a short time. Why? Going on the yearly trip to the mainland with the family. And this is the only time I'll confive the wife to allow me to get a new camera.

Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:06 AM   #6

All the entry level dslrs have an onboard flash. The one you are looking at is much better/more powerful/does more but for where you are now I would hold off the flash and buy one later if you need it.
The 17-85IS is excellent though my personal preference would be to get a fast lens in that range rather than that IS one. You can get a 18-50f2.8 and a 50f1.8 for less than the canon.
Get a longer lens too if you are not going to buy the flash and have some more dollars to blow. Sigma 70-300APO is very good and very cheap. The 70-300IS you mentioned is probably ideal for you though IMO it is over-priced (in general, not just your quote). If you don't get a long zoom then the 85mm of the IS is going to seem very short as your longest lens.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:52 AM   #7

Theres a science to this which makes my head hurt. :?

I understand IS is great for hand shake and does nothing for a moving target.

I understand a low F-stop (like <2.8 )will be good to take better low light shots.

But at <2.8 I also understand the DOF will be shallow. Like my subject will be in focus but mabe a few feet infront and back of my subject will be blurred.

Kinda makes me wonder how I lived with the one built on my Sony 828. Then again, it was a 28-200mm(35mm equiv)with a f2-8, which I'm not sure if I'm reading that right as that would be a awsome lens.

Anyways, I pickup the camera tomorrow. I still have no idea what lens to get or even to get the flash. He did mention in passing about getting like a 50mm 2.8lens for like $99 or something. To use for indoors. Must've heard that wrong. Price doesnt sound right.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:43 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I think the dealer's advice is sound.

If you are not desperately price sensitive then the following combo will serve you very well indeed.

400D + 17-85 IS.

70-300 IS.

580EX Flash.

If you can afford that kit then go for it. There are a million different combinations possible, but as you are new to the DSLR setup you could do a great deal worse (and spend more money doing it) that go with that setup.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:59 AM   #9

add to peripatetic.

a 50mm f1.8 would be a great lens with respect to potraits or how one can use the 50MM.

its very good in low light and is cheap(arnd 75)

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote