Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:19 AM   #21

Have an old original digital rebel, and the 20d, just bought the XTi rebel for $420 from USAphotonation, body only. Should be delivered in 3 days, can't wait to play wih it. So dont buy the damn thing for 700-800 bucks friends.!

Ordered the viewfinder extender to keep my nose off the LCD and got a grip/battery holder to give it more to hang onto.

JGB
pacman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:18 PM   #22

$420?! No offense, but you're probably going to get screwed. :sad:
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:56 PM   #23

First thought was that it was too good to be true, so I shall have to find out. For 300 bucks off I am willing to try. I shall keep you informed!

If they screw me I'll have American Express investigate their butts and get my money back. They saw life is an adventure!

JGB
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:57 PM   #24

,,,,,,,,,,,,,they SAY life is an adventure....that is.............
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:37 PM   #25

pacman1951 wrote:
Quote:
just bought the XTi rebel for $420 from USAphotonation, body only. Should be delivered in 3 days, can't wait to play wih it. So dont buy the darn thing for 700-800 bucks friends.!
Ordered the viewfinder extender to keep my nose off the LCD and got a grip/battery holder to give it more to hang onto.

JGB

I don't want to rain on your parade pacman 1951 but I checked out USAphotonation to see if they would ship internationally. The google search threw up some really bad complaints. See here http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=USA...8&oe=utf-8

If I were you I'd cancell that order right away. Good Luck.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:15 PM   #26

Cancelled it this morning. The word is out, that place is bad news. I called to confirm shopment and they insisted I buy 400 bucks more worth of stuff cause the Gray Market item comes barebones! Told them to ear crap and cancel.

Figured it was too good to be true, but had to see what kind of slimeballs they actually were...............And they are grade A Number ! slimeballs.

So pass the word.......usaphotonation.com .....is crappola!

Ordered the XTi at Digital Photo........have bought from them before they are legit I know. Body only XTi cost $775. There was no tax or shipping charge.

Thanks.

JGB
Old Oct 3, 2006, 2:52 PM   #27

Glad to hear you never got stung.
The more people who get to know about these outfits the better.
$775 sounds good when compared with the UK price.
The best I can find works out at around $906:-?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:43 PM   #28

Hi all, I got my XTi last week from Ritz camera, with the lense. I am so pleased with the camera and the quality of photos. :?I used to have a Canon AE1 so I am used to the function wheel. The photo quality is superb. I have to rave particularly about the red-eye handling. I take band photos. Most of the time, folks are not looking at the camera and nearly every photo requires fixing. Not with this one. Out of about 25 pics of action/band scenes, I only had 1 that required some photoshop work. And, I thought the quality of each pic was so good I didnt need to fix anything like color balance, brightness or contrast. I had to do some cropping but that's normal. This camera will save me alot of time in post processing because I am very fussy over the finished product.

Because I take pics of people jumping around on stage, I have used the continuous shooting function. It's so useful. One pic the guy has his eyes closed, the next he doesnt. problem solved! The response time is instantaneous, and I amusing an older card type I.

question; given that the screen is large I worry about scratches. I know you can get a flip-up screen cover, and a plastic cover, but are there any other options out there?

thanks!!

CC
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:43 PM   #29

Not sure if you mean LCD screen overlay by "plastic cover", but this is what I've used with my 20D, and now 30D. I just bought a 10 pack Belkin PDA LCD overlay from the local 99 cents store, cutout the overlay to match my screen...and voila...the best part is that the overlay sticks nicely to the screen...and it doesn't leave a sticky residue on the screen if you decide to remove/replace it one day. It's very effective in preventing scratches to LCD screens...did the same for my cell phone, too!
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:26 AM   #30

AlpineMan, thanks so much! yes that is exactly what I am looking for.

Where would I get these PDA overlays ? Maybe at RadioShack ? I will look around.

I can hardly wait for this weekend. The fall foliage here in NH is at the peak, the weather is predicted to be sunny and around 60-65 degrees. Lots of action on the ol' shutter for sure! :|

thanks!

CC
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote