Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:18 AM   #1

Sorry for the cross posting. Most people with teh XTi wouldn't be looking in a sub catagory of flashes.

I know I need a flash from some of the shots I took with the stock. Should I get the 430EX ($299) or spend about $150 more and get the 580EX? I wont be buying multiple flahses, I wont be doing this for a living. I will be taking pictures at Car shows, inside the house, places like disneyland etc. I dont think I will be shooting alot of shots in a row, but I hate to wait for my flash to charge up. I do like using it to bounce my flash off the ceiling. Will either do?
I have a Sony F32x flash. And its OK. If I can trust the guide numbers (which I'm not sure how to use)It rates:
Stock on XTi: 17
Sony F32X: 32
430EX: 43
580EX: 58

Is there that much difference in 43 vs 58? TO warrant a $430+ flash?
starstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:18 PM   #2

you could get a Sigma 500DG Super for the same price as the 430EX. The Sigma has the same features as the Canon 550EX which the 580EX replaced.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:57 AM   #3

I ended up getting the 430EX. I think it would suite what I need. I liked some features.

Btw, how can I tell the difference in e-ttl and e-ttl II? My camera and flash is compatable with version 2, but how can I tell if its "on"?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:44 AM   #4
NHL

The E-TTL(older) and E-TTL II(newer) is done automatically inside the camera - You can't control it...

BTW when you bounce the flash is absorbed by the material reflected so you might want the higher GN
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5

Its strange, I had the Sony flash, which is lower than the 430EX, but unlike the Sony, I have to up the FEC by at least 1.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:44 PM   #6

If i remember correctly, the main difference ETTL-II has over ETTL-I is that the newer version takes distance-to-subject into consideration. But this is only useful when the flash head is facing forward in its defualt position (which is just like a built-in flash... but more powerful).
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote