Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:00 PM   #1

I came across this thread about a month or so ago: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19721647

I personally have been satisfied with my 30D as far as noise goes...it's up to par with my former 20D. But for those who're experiencing more noise that others, checkout the article above.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:47 AM   #2

Ive had my 30D for about 4 months now and Ive got no issue with noise, I tend to shoot at ISO 320 and up anyway for wildlife and sports, Ive been shooting at ISO 640 recently and cant complain about the level of noise, if any is present neat image fixes it anyway.

This is a test shot for those interested a 100% crop (ignore the quality of the shot itself, it is handheld at 300mm) in ISO 640, Canon 30D and straight from the camera in low light conditions, absolutely no editing except the crop. I personally don't have a problem with the noise levels on this camera, this shot will come up fine with levels, a little sharpening and if need be noise reduction so I really don't think the comments about noise and this camera are justified

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:54 AM   #3
Super Moderator

From what I could see that thread isn't about higher noise per-se, it's about the noise profiles at different ISO settings, and basically that the 1/3 stop ISO setting are basically just a fudge, not real.

i.e. the ISO at 160, 200, 240 are identical.

I can't see this as anything other than typical dpreview storm-in-a-teacup and panic by the uniformed masses.

Yawn.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 8:05 AM   #4

my point was about the fact that Ive read a lot of talk about so called noisewith the 30D on and off over the last three months. Ive not seen this problem with the camera myself. Did the same talk come about when the 20D was released?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:45 PM   #5

Can somebody post an ISO1600 and ISO3200 100% crops please. I am getting totally unacceptable images at these settings. Or atleast i am assuming that these are bad images.

It would be great if some one can help here.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Why don't you post an example.

Full image resized and a crop of a noisy bit.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:52 PM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Why don't you post an example.

Full image resized and a crop of a noisy bit.
Also, please make sure you have done NO editing to the photo other than cropping a 100% crop to post. The way you edit a photo can bring out more noise - especially if the image was underexposed and you adjust to correct that (whether in RAW conversion or levels - whatever) - those types of edits will definitely bring out more noise.

But, in the end, it is always possible that expectations are too high. ISO 3200 images just are not going to be as good as ISO 400 images (of course there are rarer shots that are but at the gallery level you're going to get less keepers at ISO3200 than if lighting conditions allowed ISO 400).

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:57 PM   #8

i perfectly understand the kind of picture one should expect at 3200.

the thing that i want to know about is the artifacts that the images carry.

i am attaching two pictures. One the actual image and the other 100% crop

As u can see there are lot of red spots everywhere in the image. I wasnt sure if its just the way ISO3200/1600 come out. And hence was hoping to see images.

Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:58 PM   #9

and the 100% crop.

the top is the trouser(in black)

Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:58 PM   #10

and the 100% crop.

the top is the trouser(in black)

Attached Images