Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:44 PM   #91

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:

But if Canon drops the ball with the 40D (which I'd doubt being that there are new technologies in the 1DM3 that could be implemented in the 40D...like the 3" LiveView screen,

DarkDTSHD,

I'd like you to meet the Canon boss Fujio Mitarai, you can see that he doesn't have enough with Nikon, now he's trying to mess around with Sony. We have Canon DSLR vs Nikon DSLR, we'll soon have CanonTVvs Sony TV.

The Canon boss is on the offensive, good luck to him. :-)

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/02/news...ce=yahoo_quote

I think he has "Bill Gates syndrome". In that he wants to dominate all areas of electronics. Not just cameras and copiers. Canon versus Sony. Hmmmm... Far from easy but Canon is thinking of using SED and OLED technology. So they might have something there. If they can get their flat-panel TVs designed properly, working right, and selling competitively. Actually below the price of Sony TV's. Sony has always been the one with the priciest TV's on the market. In comparison to the other companies like Toshiba, JVC, Panasonic...etc. With only elite companies like Loewe and Runco (though Runco is more known for it's front projectors...but I digress). :-)

But back to DSLRs...As I said, I'm still VERY interested to see what Nikon comes up with to combat the 1DM3. And What Nikon will do to compete against the upcoming Canon 40D. Now if only Canon and Nikon will stop keeping us in the dark...hehe...how about a light spritz to wet our appetites??
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:47 AM   #92

Being that Nikon just made a second announcement. Introducing their new D40x. Though Canon already made their second with the 1DM3. So perhaps we won't hear from Canon again before the PMA show is over. I'm not sure if companies have made more than two announcements before the show in the past. Would be nice to have Canon announce the 40D. Though, at this point, I suppose that isn't very likely. But who knows...maybe Canon is planning to make an even bigger splash by not only introducing the 1DM3 but also the 40D later. One can hope...
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:27 AM   #93

DarkDTSHD,

Did you see that they replaced the 6MP to a 10MP to catch up with the new trend, from now on there's no moreless than 10MP cameras. There is no new feature as self cleaning sensor to compete with Canon. Nikon should upgrade the D50 or launch the new D200 at this moment than wasting time on the D40X. Very funny, I thought Nikon would do something about the Canon Mk3, instead they fired back with the D40X, Canon is laughing. At this yearPMA show, people will stop by at Canon booth to check out the MK3, what do they see at Nikon booth, the D40X? The sleeping giant is still sleeping.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:33 AM   #94

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD,

Did you see that they replaced the 6MP to a 10MP to catch up with the new trend, from now on there's no moreless than 10MP cameras. There is no new feature as self cleaning sensor to compete with Canon. Nikon should upgrade the D50 or launch the new D200 at this moment than wasting time on the D40X. Very funny, I thought Nikon would do something about the Canon Mk3, instead they fired back with the D40X, Canon is laughing. At this yearPMA show, people will stop by at Canon booth to check out the MK3, what do they see at Nikon booth, the D40X? The sleeping giant is still sleeping.
Hey coldshot,

Yep. I read the new specs for the D40X. I too would have preferred to see a "D200x". Sooner the better. But it's still early yet. Maybe Nikon wil make a 3rd announcement as will Canon with the 40D? But as I said. It doesn't seem likely at this point. Yet nothing is impossible.

But, if this is it from Nikon then yes Canon will be LOL!! Maybe yawning even.

And didn't the Nikon D40 just come out not too long ago?? Could have sworn it was only a few months ago. Or is it my imagination?

In any case I'm just itching to get some word from Canon about the 40D. Confirmed specs and release date.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:42 AM   #95

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Hey coldshot,

And didn't the Nikon D40 just come out not too long ago?? Could have sworn it was only a few months ago. Or is it my imagination?

What happened to the ones who just bougth the 6MP D40? They're pss off to see a new 10MP D40X, expect to see some reaction from them. So, check your saving account, the Canon 40D will soon land in your hands. :-)
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:10 AM   #96

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Hey coldshot,

What happened to the ones who just bougth the 6MP D40? They're pss off to see a new 10MP D40X, expect to see some reaction from them. So, check your saving account, the Canon 40D will soon land in your hands. :-)
I just got an e-mail this morning from my friend in California. Turns out the D40 was released in December 2006. He just got his in early January. Almost immediately after it was out. So that means the D40 has only been on the market for 2 months!!! WOW!!!! I think that is a first for the DSLR market. Maybe the D40x is what Nikon really wanted to give but thought they had to rush to get something to market last year. As Pentax was to release a budget DSLR in the K100D in the same price category.

And yes I can hear D40 owners kicking themselves now. I'd be angry too. Though no one could have guessed Nikon would do this to D40 owners. Only two months later and a replacement camera has already been announced. 10MP with an ISO range of now 100-1600. The 40D was 200-1600.

But for me it's still between the Canon 40D and the Nikon D200x. Which one will I end up with? Hmmm...
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:29 AM   #97

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:

And yes I can hear D40 owners kicking themselves now. I'd be angry too. Though no one could have guessed Nikon would do this to D40 owners. Only two months later and a replacement camera has already been announced. 10MP with an ISO range of now 100-1600. The 40D was 200-1600.

But for me it's still between the Canon 40D and the Nikon D200x. Which one will I end up with? Hmmm...
I'd rather pick the D50 than the D40 if I am in the market for an entry level Nikon system.

If the Canon 40D has the Digic III processor, I'd go for it, I want speed, speed and speed, unless Nikon can beat Canon on that department.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:38 PM   #98

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:

I'd rather pick the D50 than the D40 if I am in the market for an entry level Nikon system.

If the Canon 40D has the Digic III processor, I'd go for it, I want speed, speed and speed, unless Nikon can beat Canon on that department.
I'm pretty sure the 40D will have a DIGIC III chip. I think that's a given. As well as the fact that it will be a 10.1MP camera. What isn't a given is what 1DM3 technologies will be borrowed. And is what I'm eagerly waiting to find out. Will it have the 1DM3's improved useable ISO range of 100-3200? Rule of Thirds grid? LiveView (which I actually don't care about)? Only time will tell.

And I really don't have much faith in Nikon as a company these days. WIth their recent move to introduce a D40x only less than 3 months after they put the D40 to market. What is in their drinking water over there???

I'm only still considering Nikon for their upcoming D200x. As the only camera Nikon's gotten right was the D200. I'd say that is Nikon's "1DM3". A camera that let them make their mark. Now Nikon has to top the 1DM3. Easier said than done! And of course if the 40D delivers Ii'm defintiely getting the 40D. Rather back a company that has their heads screwed on striaght. Clear business vision.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:03 PM   #99

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
And I really don't have much faith in Nikon as a company these days. WIth their recent move to introduce a D40x only less than 3 months after they put the D40 to market. What is in their drinking water over there???

I'm only still considering Nikon for their upcoming D200x. As the only camera Nikon's gotten right was the D200. I'd say that is Nikon's "1DM3". A camera that let them make their mark. Now Nikon has to top the 1DM3. Easier said than done! And of course if the 40D delivers Ii'm defintiely getting the 40D. Rather back a company that has their heads screwed on striaght. Clear business vision.
WhenCanon claims the Mk3 is the fastest camera in the world, I expect Nikon has something special to compete with Canon in other area...but so far nothing happens yet. The D80 has no new technology except with more features than the D70, now the D40X with an increase 10MP as the D80 but lower the flash sync to 1/200th sec., to me that's a wrong move.

Now we can move to the second round, 40D vs D200X, which one will get to the market first. I can see that Nikon engineers are desperate to come up with something fancy in their next DSLR otherwise the Nikon boss will fire them all. On the otherside, the Canon boss doesn't even care what Nikon is doing, he's daydreaming about a new Canon TV so he can claim... the first TV blah blah blah in the world,...... he is smoking something too. :-)
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:04 PM   #100

Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Actually it's sad to say but I think they understand the market fairly well. The camera manufacturers have brainwashed people into believing megapixels are the only thing that count. So, while nikon came out with this camera and a low price, canon has a 10mp camera for not much more. The masses have drunk the megapixel coolaide and that's the deciding factor for which camera is better in their mind. So, nikon throws a 10mp sensor in the same camera and voila now the masses believe it's every bit as good as the 10mp counterpart from canon. Remember, I'd bet 90% of camera buyers don't come to forums like this, don't do any research and buy cameras based primarily on marketing. And the marketing that's been sold to everyone is mp, mp, mp, mp.

Sad, but my guess is - the tact will work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote