Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:25 PM   #101

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
And I really don't have much faith in Nikon as a company these days. WIth their recent move to introduce a D40x only less than 3 months after they put the D40 to market. What is in their drinking water over there???
Actually it's sad to say but I think they understand the market fairly well. The camera manufacturers have brainwashed people into believing megapixels are the only thing that count. So, while nikon came out with this camera and a low price, canon has a 10mp camera for not much more. The masses have drunk the megapixel coolaide and that's the deciding factor for which camera is better in their mind. So, nikon throws a 10mp sensor in the same camera and voila now the masses believe it's every bit as good as the 10mp counterpart from canon. Remember, I'd bet 90% of camera buyers don't come to forums like this, don't do any research and buy cameras based primarily on marketing. And the marketing that's been sold to everyone is mp, mp, mp, mp.

Sad, but my guess is - the tact will work.
Putting out a 10MP version of a model they only put out less than 3 months ago doesn't not show their knowldge of the market. And definitely does not demonstrate their understanding of how to run a good company. What it does show is desparation and confusion.

After spending the R&D dollars they have to put the D40 to market (and continue to spend) they suddenly announce it's replacement in record time, the D40x. In less than 3 months. Which I think is an industry record. So in a month or two (or whenever the D40x hit the market place) consumers will have choice between the 6.1MP version (D40) or the 10.1MP (D40x) version. Hmmmm...which one will most people choose? Errrrr I mean which one will the "brainwashed" opt for?

I can see it now. "Hey Habib!! The 20000 D40's sitting in the stock room aren't selling!! What to do?" barks Aziz. "Use this black marker and draw an "x" on the front! Tell them we have plenty of D40x's!" says Habib. :-)

And let's not forget the many current D40 owners who thought they got a good deal. How do you think they feel?

Never mind the fact that the D40x is to exist along side the D40 as it's "sister" camera. Good thinking Nikon! NOT!!!

Not too smart IMHO. Nor is their D2Hs 4.1MP/8fps "pro" DSLR. Nor is their Flagship model the D2Xs. Are they targeting the sports photographer or the commercial photographer? They don't seem sure. At least Canon has so far had a clear vision of which model is best suited for which target market. And are keeping ahead of the game by consistently kicking out industry attention getters like the 1DM3. Is Nikon working on a "1DM3 beater"?? Hmmm... The D2Hs should have been an attempt at beating the 1DM2N IMHO.

Any how back to the topic at hand. The 40D. :-)

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 8:21 AM   #102

Being that Canon just introduced the S5 IS/SD850IS does this mean Canon might actually introduce the 40D in the coming weeks? Hmmmm?

Actually, I'm surprised Canon introduced the two cameras so soon after the PMA show. I assumed there wouldn't be any new announcements till the Fall.

Hope the 40D will really be an improvement and not just another "20D to 30D" change with superfical changes.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote