Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:44 PM   #11

Quote:
well if your going to wait for the 40d, maybe you should go ahead and wait for the 50d or maybe even the 60d. There is always going to be a new model on the horizon. It makes no difference which one you get, it will be replaced by a new model in just a few short months. I have the 20D and was not at all tempted by the 30D, as it was just not what I would concider an upgrade, but just a new and improved model of the same camera. I have no idea when or what the 40D will have to offer, but my idea of an upgrade would be moving up to the 5D, 1Dn, or 1DS Mark II. I would much rather be out taking pictures than waiting for the next new camera to come out.
Couldn't AGREE MORE!!! I just picked up the 30D..... And I couldn't be happier... The same thing applies to computers... something better and faster is always around the corner.. but I would rather be taking pictures now then later~~~

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:23 AM   #12
Super Moderator

It's very true, I am in IT and will always tell clients to buy it when you need it but then never go back and look at the price in 2 month time otherwise you will be annoyed!!! LOL

Found out the problem with the 30D, well actually it was 2 problems, the Camera was causing part of the back-focus so was doing it with different lenses, but also the Sigma 17-70 was also slightly out so I now havea new body and lens and I'm very happy!!! Just waiting for everything else to arrive today..... boy it is like Christmas (without the birth of Jesus etc!!!).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:42 AM   #13

Mark..

Tell me about it.. I was like a kid in a candy store when I purchased my 30D and some accessories... My wifetold the lady behind the counter.. "We don't need kids we have you"... How true it is....lol....

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 4:34 PM   #14

Hope you're happy with your new 30D Terry.

I'm in the position you were in. "Which DSLR should I buy mode". Was considering the 30D but like you (were) I'm now thinking I'll wait for possibly the 40D (or 50D...or what ever the replacement is called). I'd like to see if Canon willgive usa Nikon D200 beater. Though, some you Canon fans will say that would be the 5D. I personally disagree. Both in terms offeatures, performanceand cost.

Has Canon mentioned anything about producing a "D200 beater"? Obviously, at this point, it doesn't look like there will be any new debuts at Photokina. Perhaps at the 2007 PMA show...maybe...I don't think Canon will sit on their hands too much longer. I actually thought the 30D was going to be competitive before the 30D was released (and I'm not saying the 30D isn't a good camera...it IS obviously). Not just a trivial redo of the 20D. As some revewer put it "...they should have dubbed the 30D the 20Da".

I'm in no hurry to buy but am seriously considering a DSLR in the near future. And the Canon 30D replacement or the Nikon D200 (or it's replacement) will be my two main choices. Currently, I'm playing with a Sony DSC-H1. Very happy with it's performance thus far.

Have a great weekend guys! :-)

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 2:19 AM   #15

im also waiting for a 40D. my reasoning/excuse is that i own the 20D and dont see the value in upgrading to the 30D. i have my fingers crossed for a weathersealed body, and higher resolution. unfortunately if you look at canons track record (10D in Spring 03, 20D in Fall 04, 30D spring 06) it would indicate that the xxD would hit the shelves in FALL 07. i hope this is not the case and canon releases a new model this spring to keep the competitive edge.

lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:09 AM   #16

lemondster wrote:
Quote:
im also waiting for a 40D. my reasoning/excuse is that i own the 20D and dont see the value in upgrading to the 30D. i have my fingers crossed for a weathersealed body, and higher resolution. unfortunately if you look at canons track record (10D in Spring 03, 20D in Fall 04, 30D spring 06) it would indicate that the xxD would hit the shelves in FALL 07. i hope this is not the case and canon releases a new model this spring to keep the competitive edge.

I'm with ya lemondster. If you already own a 20D it would make little sense to run out and pickup a 30D. Which is really still a 20D with very minor tweaks. Should have called it the "20Dn".

I also hope that Canon doesn't decide to sit on their hands till next Fall as you mentioned. Nikon already has a real winner with their D200 camera. And owns the "semi-pro" market IMHO. Though some would say the Canon 5D would also be considered a "semi-pro" camera and maybe the "leader". But functionally (and possibly in terms of performance) I think the edge still goes to the Nikon D200. Which happens to be one of my top pics. Actually, that will be the camera I go with if by PMA 2007, Canon does not come out with a "D200 beater" in the shape of a 40D. I'm not 100% sure I can wait till next Fall. I'm already getting the shakes. "MUST buy DSLR now.....". (no not really but close) Though, if Canon can deliver...maybe I will wait till the Fall of 2007 after all. Shrugs.

Features/improvements I hope to see in the 40D include: dedicated ISO/WB/QUAL buttons a la Nikon D200, dust removal/protector, bump the resolution from 8.2 to 12.8, even better real world battery life (not that it's bad now esp with the battery grip and a 2nd battary pack)...etc. I'm sure they will include the new DIGIC III processor.

All we can do now is wait for PMA 2007.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:32 PM   #17

welli think that the thing that keeps the 5D from being considered a SEMI-pro camera is that it has the full frame sensor and no built in flash. i could care less about the flash, but i kind of like my slightly smaller snesor size. i get cheaper telephoto not to mention my EFS 17-85 ISUSM would still work. hope full they will only wait 12 months (d60-10D)

btw i like the sound of 20D MkII better fwiw
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:00 PM   #18

lemondster wrote:
Quote:
welli think that the thing that keeps the 5D from being considered a SEMI-pro camera is that it has the full frame sensor and no built in flash. i could care less about the flash, but i kind of like my slightly smaller snesor size. i get cheaper telephoto not to mention my EFS 17-85 ISUSM would still work. hope full they will only wait 12 months (d60-10D)

btw i like the sound of 20D MkII better fwiw
That was exactly what I was thinking. It's because the 5D is a FF camera like the flagship. And I do like the pics I've seen taken using the 5D in picture galleries (keeping in mind there's no substitute for using prints to judge pic quality vs. viewing on a monitor). But I don't think it's worth paying more than 2x the cost of a 20D/30D and probably the 40D for maybe a 20% improvement in picture quality. If even. Though, I think the improvement is noticeable. Better to get the 40D and some high quality glass instead.

And I agree with you when you said you hope Canon only waits 12 months. I'd love to find out in February 2007 what Canon has instore for the 40D. If it's another "label change" (e.g. 20D to the 30D) with no noteable new feature additions or design changes...I'm getting a Nikon D200. :-)
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:33 PM   #19
Super Moderator

I see the xxD as having two upgrades; for the landscape and portrait shooters the natural upgrade is the 5D, for the action and wildlife crowd it makes sense to go 1DMkIIN.

The xxD are great in that they can cover both areas quite well. My main interests are landscape and portrait so the 5D is the one I'm looking at, but for action and wildlife a number of members here have already gone 1DMkIIN.

The prices aren't that different between the two bodies either.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:50 PM   #20

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I see the xxD as having two upgrades; for the landscape and portrait shooters the natural upgrade is the 5D, for the action and wildlife crowd it makes sense to go 1DMkIIN.

The xxD are great in that they can cover both areas quite well. My main interests are landscape and portrait so the 5D is the one I'm looking at, but for action and wildlife a number of members here have already gone 1DMkIIN.

The prices aren't that different between the two bodies either.
Hello peripatetic,

I'd agree with you in that the current 30D already provides a kind of "middle ground". With features suited for both portrait/wildlife and action photography. It's a great camera period! So, there really isn't much I'd expect to see in the 40D. Just the features I've mentioned.

And should I end up with the 40D I'm not sure I'd upgrade beyond that. Do I really need the additional weather sealing in the body of the N camera? The additonal 3 FPS? The nifty built-in battery grip of the N camera...wooHOO!! For more than twice the cost? Hmmm...

As for the pricing between the 5D and N cameras there is a bit of a difference here in Canada. There is a $1200.00 CAD price difference. So for us Canucks it is significant. At least for me it is. As I'd prefer to concentrale my budget on good glass. So, the only alternative for Canadians wanting an N camera would be to buy from the US. In the US the N camera is only $200.00 more than the 5D bought in Canada. But we would be stuck with a "US Waranty". And should anything go wrong...