Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:10 PM   #31

one other thing that i found on the D200 that i like is their battery meter features. not just the Canon low battery icon it gives a charge % and how many pictures have been taken on the battery charge. (also works perfectly with the battery grip)

a nice feature for the xxD
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:35 PM   #32

lemondster wrote:
Quote:
one other thing that i found on the D200 that i like is their battery meter features. not just the Canon low battery icon it gives a charge % and how many pictures have been taken on the battery charge. (also works perfectly with the battery grip)

a nice feature for the xxD
Good point! I'd also love to see that in the 40D. Better battery use info readouts. Along with improved "battery life". I'm sure we could always use a newer model with even more "shots per charge". With or without the battery grip (e.g. 2 battery packs).

It's going to be a long wait till the 2007 PMA show to find out what's going to be included in the 40D. Assuming that's when the 40D will debut. I hope it does.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:40 AM   #33
Super Moderator

I agree about the battery.

This weekend I started out the day still showing 3 bars, even though I knew it wasn't full. But I was in a rush and forgot to bring a spare.

After about 5 shots it was down to 1 bar, and then the AF started malfunctioning and so did the IS on my lenses.

I was worried my camera was malfunctioning, but when I got home I put in a new battery and everything seems fine.

This is the first time I've ever been caught out, and it was just because I was in a rush. Also I suppose that because the batteries are now 2 years old they are not holding a charge as well any more. But I don't feel that in general I need MORE charge per battery, but a % meter would be very useful.

Also I would rather that the camera simply stop functioning than give me erratic behaviour with a low battery charge. It was bad for my nerves!
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:17 PM   #34

Dark...

Didn't mean to offend.... Sorry if I did....

Wasn't really aiming my response at you,,,,,,,,

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:02 PM   #35

rhett7660 wrote:
Quote:
Dark...

Didn't mean to offend.... Sorry if I did....

Wasn't really aiming my response at you,,,,,,,,

R~
Hey Rhett7660,

None taken. Offense that is. :-) I was just stating my own position. As I'm about to buy my first DSLR...when the 40D is released...or there abouts.

But thanks for your post my friend. Perhaps we can all PM these kinds of post in the near future. Friendly suggestion.

On with the show...
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:43 PM   #36

Well I'm waiting for the 30D, actually I'm waiting for enough $$ to buy it. If the 40D or whatever comes out before that well so be it.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:46 AM   #37

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
The Canon XTi vs the Nikon D50 (entry-level DSLR). Canon 30D vs the Nikon D80 (advanced hobbyist). The Nikon D200 vs _____? (semi-pro or should I say "advanced amateur and a half"? Heh!). Just seems to me the 5D with it's FF sensor would be lumped into the "pro market". It too with no real peer (entry-level pro). Then you have Nikon's D2Hs vs Canon's 1D Mark II-N (8.5 fps cameras for the sports journalist). And then the Canon 1Ds Mark II vs the Nikon D2Xs (the PRO). At least that's how I see it and how I'd compare the two manufacturer's line-up.
I wouldn't rank 30d in comparison to D80. 30d is more closer to D200. D80 only does 3fps while 30d does 5fps, which is a big difference IMHO. And canon 1dMK2 is still the king of sports shooter's world. Only camera which does 8.5fps at 8MP. And remember Nikon doesn't offer any FF.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:18 PM   #38

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
The Canon XTi vs the Nikon D50 (entry-level DSLR). Canon 30D vs the Nikon D80 (advanced hobbyist). The Nikon D200 vs _____? (semi-pro or should I say "advanced amateur and a half"? Heh!). Just seems to me the 5D with it's FF sensor would be lumped into the "pro market". It too with no real peer (entry-level pro). Then you have Nikon's D2Hs vs Canon's 1D Mark II-N (8.5 fps cameras for the sports journalist). And then the Canon 1Ds Mark II vs the Nikon D2Xs (the PRO). At least that's how I see it and how I'd compare the two manufacturer's line-up.
I wouldn't rank 30d in comparison to D80. 30d is more closer to D200. D80 only does 3fps while 30d does 5fps, which is a big difference IMHO. And canon 1dMK2 is still the king of sports shooter's world. Only camera which does 8.5fps at 8MP. And remember Nikon doesn't offer any FF.
Hey bobbyz,

Well, actually I WOULD still say that the 30D "IS" (not "image stabalization" btw...heh) Canon's "D80". As it is the model one up from the entry model. Priced in the same neighborhood as the D80 ($300 CAD price diff for the body). And it still offers the hand-holding "scene modes" for the the "gung-ho photographer wannabe" with zero experience. Of course this is my own humble opinion. Which I believe Nikon/Canon shares. As well as the reviewers when comparing either model.

And while having 5 fps in the 30D is good to have I personally wouldn't use that feature as "the feature" to lump it in with the D200. The D200 is considered a "semi-pro" camera, in my opinion, because of it's many customizable features, has dedicated WB/ISO/QUAL buttons and because it doesn't have any scene modes. So, with the D200, I think Nikon assumes the buyer will have somewhat of a knowledge base. And is likely a "working" photographer. Or one in the making.

As for the "king of the sports shooters" I think you're close...but, that honor actually goes to the replacement of the 1DMK2...the MK2N.:-) . And you're right in saying that Nikon doesn't have a FF camera. Which I am sort of surprised at to tell you the truth.

Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:39 PM   #39

As you said, the D200 is a level above 30D. In the crop segment D200 does look a level above others in quality and features.

That doesnt mean 30D is bad. I own a 30D and i admire D200.

Its good to appreciate good products. Be it Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sigma.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:03 AM   #40

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
As you said, the D200 is a level above 30D. In the crop segment D200 does look a level above others in quality and features.

That doesnt mean 30D is bad. I own a 30D and i admire D200.

Its good to appreciate good products. Be it Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sigma.

Vj
Couldn't agree with you more. I have already said many times how terrific a DSLR I think the 30D is. Which is exactly why I'm waiting around for the Canon 40D. If the 30D is any indication. With the 40D there should be noteable new features and improvements.

Only a few more months and counting till the 2007 PMA show. :-)