Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:51 PM   #41

It was more than 3 yr ago, when a friend of mine was the proud owner of brand new canon 10D, while I just had a 'lowly' point & shoot Canon G3, and we both taking pictures of his daughter wedding. It turn out that I have more "keepers" & had more artistics than his. So, 40D or 50D.... or not, if my camera has a limitation, I will use my creativity to compensate it.
This is not to boast my skill/talent, but what the heck - before DSLR, many famous photographers took many best pictures in the world with their 'old fashion' 35mm camera. In this nowadays, personally, I think we are spoiled by hi-tech more or less.
If I have money now but can't afford the Canon 5D or Nikon D200, I would buy 30D or D80 (depended on what lens I already have) and start shooting; whenever the next version came out, I wouldn't mind selling my 'old' 30D/D80 with a lost in order to buy the latest. There is a price for everything, missing 6 months or more of shooting picture in order to wait for the next 'best one' could be a 'price-less'.

QV

Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:39 AM   #42

Quanvu wrote:
Quote:
It was more than 3 yr ago, when a friend of mine was the proud owner of brand new canon 10D, while I just had a 'lowly' point & shoot Canon G3, and we both taking pictures of his daughter wedding. It turn out that I have more "keepers" & had more artistics than his. So, 40D or 50D.... or not, if my camera has a limitation, I will use my creativity to compensate it.
This is not to boast my skill/talent, but what the heck - before DSLR, many famous photographers took many best pictures in the world with their 'old fashion' 35mm camera. In this nowadays, personally, I think we are spoiled by hi-tech more or less.
If I have money now but can't afford the Canon 5D or Nikon D200, I would buy 30D or D80 (depended on what lens I already have) and start shooting; whenever the next version came out, I wouldn't mind selling my 'old' 30D/D80 with a lost in order to buy the latest. There is a price for everything, missing 6 months or more of shooting picture in order to wait for the next 'best one' could be a 'price-less'.

QV
Hello QV,

I'm not surprised you got more keepers using your G3. I've been to the http://www.pbase.com site looking at shots taken by users of the Canon 30D, Canon 1D Mark II N, Nikon D200...etc. And I have to say I was surprised at how bad some of the results were. Many looked shots looked like they were taken with a budget compact P&S camera. Most looking like quick snapshots rather than well thoughtout pictures. Proving the point that it's not the camera used that makes the picture. I think most of us here know this already.

As for me, I'm still playing around with my Sony DSC-H1 (5.1MP, 12x optical zoom...etc.) and have been very happy with the results. Given my limited experience. But, I do definitely see more possiblities with a DSLR. You have much more control of the overall picture taking process. All things considered. So, as I've been saying, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the manufacturers have instore for us at the 2007 PMA show in February. Will it be the Canon 40D? Or, will I end up with a D80 or D200? (Shrugs)

I'm in no hurry at all. :-)

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 4:26 AM   #43

Hmm. I am new here and I only very quickly scanned through the posts but..

Am I the only only waiting for the 40D to come out so that they can buy the 30D for cheap?

After the rumours about the 40D coming out in September, the prices over here in Singapore dropped from about SGD2400 to SGD1800 (grey market). That is a big drop. I am waiting to see if and when it 40D finally appears, will it drop further.

:blah:

stanley_c_wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:55 AM   #44

...or better yet...when the 40D comes out...the 20D can be had for almost free (well, not exactly).
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:08 AM   #45

Well, today (Thursday Feb 22) Canon has announced their EOS 1D Mark II-N replacement. The impressive (at least on paper) 1D Mark-III. WOW!! It's another Canon landmark camera aimed at the pro market or wealthy amateurs.

New landmark features include:

Dual DIGIC III chips, 10 fps @ 10 MP making it the fastest DSLR on the market, 3" LCD with Live View (making the 1D Mark-III the 2nd DSLR with that feature next to the Olympus 330), new AF system with 19 cross type sensors, EOS intergrated cleaning system, ISO range up to 3200 (expanable to H:6400!!), wider/brighter viewfinder and "PictureStyle 1" (whatever that means).

[align=left]But, no sign of the 40D. Unless they mention it in the next few days or during the PMA show. Doesn't seem likely as I would have thought they would want to introduce the 40D with the 1D Mark-III.

And being as the 1D Mark-III has a 3" LiveView screen...does that mean the 40D will also have it? Hmmmm... :idea:

As for the 1D Mark-III...I want!!!
[/align]
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:35 AM   #46
NHL

IMO the biggest improvement is its battery - The MrkIII is now more powerful and lighter with 1% increment display
-> This was the most archaic part of the old 1 series

The next one is the low-light sensitivity of the AF, shooting in the dark without an ST-E2 or flash was terrible (My older 10D didn't need theses accessories in the same conditions) :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:12 AM   #47

It's going to be interesting to see how all the new features play out. When you read the release there are quite a few changes. Like anything else - some will work as advertised and some will not.

Personally I like the low light focus, true ISO 3200 (expandable to 6400), more cross type sensors (and different selection pattern) and 10fps (back to the 1v levels).

Remote file transmission, auto switching from 1 card to 2nd could also be very useful. Although I found the live preview a bit strange - that is more of a studio feature - given this is a replacement for the mk II N and not the 5d or 1dsmk II I thought this was a rather mismatched feature to include on this model.

Should draw a lot of attention to their booth in a couple weeks at PMA!

Some other interesting features as well.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:55 AM   #48

The fastest DSLR in the world. Canon has fired a big gun across Nikon camp. :-)

Can't wait to see the new 40D.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:21 AM   #49

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
The fastest DSLR in the world. Canon has fired a big gun across Nikon camp. :-)

Can't wait to see the new 40D.
...more like "Canon has fired a big Canon across Nikon camp." :G

I'm just impressed by the dual Digic III chips...now our DSLRs are like PC's with the Intel Core Duo 2 CPU's. Hehehe.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:04 AM   #50

Just out of curiosity does any one know if the 1D MarkII N had an "ISO Auto" feature (as is available in Nikon cameras like the D200)? I downloaded the manual and it looks like the ISO speed can only be selected manually (2 button press/main dial).

I know the 30D has it while you're in the "basic zone" mode but limited the "ISO Auto" to an ISO range of 100-400. Hopefully with the 40D Canon will extend that to a useable range of 100-1600 if not 100-3200.

I just assumed that if the Mark II N does have "ISO Auto" I'm assuming so would the Mark-III.

Looking forwards to Steve's review of the Mark-III.

Thurs 5:34 PM...just found out the 1D Mark-III does have "ISO Auto"...that it can automatically select ISO speed betweeen 100-3200. See here...

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm3/html/15.html

Lots of info ont he 1D Mark-III...not sure what Phil Askey was moaning about over at http://www.dpreview.com. There's a fair bit of information already made available and I'm sure he'll get his mits on a 1D Mark-III in a few months to test. :roll:

And I hope to see some of the new features found in the 1dm3 trickle down to the upcoming 40D. Having the "LiveView 3-inch LCD" would be nice. As would the "rule of thirds" grid. FINALLY!! They put it on a DSLR! Canon has been listening to me after all!! :-)Hope they also include ISO Auto with the same "useable" range of 100-3200. Crossing my fingers but not holding my breath.