Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:16 AM   #51
Super Moderator

There are many "disappointed" folks out there on the internet, but their chief complaint seems to be a lack of megapixels.

I guess the camera companies only have themselves to blame for that. :blah:

But in so many respects this seems to be a truly remarkable camera. No single feature by itself is revolutionary, but there are so many new features that combined they do add up to an astonishing advance in camera technology IMO.

One feature that has received relatively little comment, but to me is quite amazing is the ability for the user to self-calibrate the camera to his lenses! OMG! No more complaints about bad copies of lenses and having to send in the camera and lenses to the service centre for calibration. You can do it yourself. If one of your lenses shifts over time, you can re-calibrate. Any front or back focus problems can be sorted out yourself.

I would estimate that probably 95% of "bad copies" of lenses are no more than the factory calibration for that copy of the lens puts it out of acceptable parameters with the factory calibration for that copy of the camera. This feature should make it possible to never have to worry about that again.

This feature in itself is the closest to "revolutionary" for professional photographers IMO. The only restriction that I can see is that if you happen to have 2 copies of a particular lens you cannot set the calibration differently for those 2 copies. It treats all members as a class.

I had no intention of being tempted by a 1 series camera, I'm waiting for the next iteration of the 5D, but this is such an amazing piece of equipment that I really am thinking about it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:17 AM   #52

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I had no intention of being tempted by a 1 series camera, I'm waiting for the next iteration of the 5D, but this is such an amazing piece of equipment that I really am thinking about it.
Oh, I think Canon is playing a very interesting game. Most speculated about 1 or even 2 new versions of the 5d coming out and a new 1ds or a new 1 series combining the 1ds mk II and 1d mk II N. I think Canon is going to generate a LOT of buzz with this release. I think a LOT of folks are going to be thinking exactly what you are. I, myself, have been saving up for a new camera this summer. My eye was always on the mk II N, but I thought - if they just push the focus system down to a xxD camera I'll buy that. Fortunately I've been able to sell enough work that the mk III will be possible. But for many people it just isn't. I wonder if Canon had dropped the price by $500 how many people would flock up to the 1-series. I realize that it's an easy marketing tactic to say "we gave you all these advancements and still kept the price the same" - which is true. It is probably still a great deal at $4k,but that was what made the 5d so appealing - it was a stretch but not out of reach.

I think Canon is playing things smart - on this anniversary year, start at the top and create buzz and I'm betting they'll do another release this spring before the final releases at photokinia. I would expect by then every camera accept the 400d will have been replaced.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:05 AM   #53

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Oh, I think Canon is playing a very interesting game. Most speculated about 1 or even 2 new versions of the 5d coming out and a new 1ds or a new 1 series combining the 1ds mk II and 1d mk II N. I think Canon is going to generate a LOT of buzz with this release. I think a LOT of folks are going to be thinking exactly what you are. I, myself, have been saving up for a new camera this summer. My eye was always on the mk II N, but I thought - if they just push the focus system down to a xxD camera I'll buy that. Fortunately I've been able to sell enough work that the mk III will be possible. But for many people it just isn't. I wonder if Canon had dropped the price by $500 how many people would flock up to the 1-series. I realize that it's an easy marketing tactic to say "we gave you all these advancements and still kept the price the same" - which is true. It is probably still a great deal at $4k,but that was what made the 5d so appealing - it was a stretch but not out of reach.

I think Canon is playing things smart - on this anniversary year, start at the top and create buzz and I'm betting they'll do another release this spring before the final releases at photokinia. I would expect by then every camera accept the 400d will have been replaced.
I think you're right. I'm sure if Canon dropped the asking price for the 1dm3 by $500.00 USD that many more people would be eyeing the camera. In addition to people like me. People who have been dreaming about owning a 1dm2n but hesitated due to the high asking price. I know I would be that much more interested. But as it is, even at $4k USD, I'm still more than a little interested.

Though, as I mentioned I am still interested to see what Canon brings to the table with the 40D. Will it just be another "20D-30D" type of camera with very minor tweaks. Or will it be a "1dm2n to 1dm3" type of move? If the 40D has the "rule of thirds" grid, 3" LiveView LCD, and a useable ISO Auto range of 100-3200, then I'm saving myself $2500 CAD. Otherwise it's the 1dm3!!

I wonder how long it's going to take Canon to announce the 40D and it's specs. Hmmm....
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:31 AM   #54

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
But with all the advanements in the 1dm3 I am seriously considering it as my first DSLR. As the DSLR I buy I don't plan to replace every 3 years like some people here. :-)

Though, as I mentioned I am still interested to see what Canon brings to the table with the 40D. Will it just be another "20D-30D" type of camera with very minor tweaks. Or will it be a "1dm2n to 1dm3" type of move? If the 40D has the "rule of thirds" grid, 3" LiveView LCD, and a useable ISO Auto range of 100-3200, then I'm saving myself $2500 CAD. Otherwise it's the 1dm3!!

I wonder how long it's going to take Canon to announce the 40D and it's specs. Hmmm....
Interesting. I don't think there are too many people in the same category - 1st time DSLRbuyers who want/need pro feature set. Sure there are plenty of people that want the best toy - but most people that need advanced feature sets aren't still using digicams. As for replacing a DSLR every 3 years - keep in mind, some folks do that because they want a new toy but for areas like mine, the camera gets a lot of mileage. My 20D is 2 years old and has about 50,000 clicks on it. Which is what the shutter life is rated at - plus my pace has picked up in the last year. So, 40,000 clicks a year is not unreasonable (thus the expected shutter life of 300,000 for the mk III is also a very nice feature).

As for the 40D - your post illustrates the challenge Canon faces: live preview and rule-of-thirds grid are not important features at all to me. In fact if you look all over various boards and read the posts you'll find that it's very difficult to gain consensus on what the 'critical' features are for the 40D. It is somewhat easier with the mk III as it is a camera marketed to sports shooters and photojournalists primarily. So, some very specific segments - while a 40D must be a jack-of-all-trades and serve a much larger audience. I am confident there are brainwashed masses already thinking - the 40d must now EXCEED 10mp to set the bar higher. And to them, another 10mp camera will be a failure. Others will insist it must have in-body IS or Canon will not be able to compete with Pentax / Sony. Some will say it needs to be weather sealed while others could care less. Just assume for the sake of argument we consider only potential users that really understand their needs and not just people jumping into the fray (which I believe Canon will try to satisfy with the 400D):

What is important to people that want to do studio work is not the same as what is important to people that do sports work and not necessarily as what people who do event work and not the same as people who do landscape work require. All these different genres of photographer use mid level cameras and all have their own ideas about what areas are important to advance in. It's impossible for Canon to satisfy all of them. And it's impossible anymore now that there is so much competition for a single mid-level camera to 'be the best' - there are areas where it will be the best - but not possible for it to have the best feature set for all types of photography.

So, it's fairly certain a large number of potential 40d buyers will be dissatisfied with whatever Canon provides.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:32 AM   #55

...minor comment on the 20D...I thought the shutter life was 100k. I read it from Bob Atkin's site. I tried asking Canon directly, but they said they didn't publish thiss spec on their site, and would not tell me whether it's 50 or 100.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:36 AM   #56

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
...minor comment on the 20D...I thought the shutter life was 100k. I read it from Bob Atkin's site. I tried asking Canon directly, but they said they didn't publish thiss spec on their site, and would not tell me whether it's 50 or 100.
I'm really hoping you're right
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:52 PM   #57

I asked Bob where he got the spec from, and he said from someone within Canon, but he didn't name names.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:12 PM   #58

Hello JohnG,

Good point. It's so very true that Canon does have to cater to a wider demographic with the upcoming 40D than with the 1dm3. It just comes down to what is truly important to you in a camera? What kind of shooting you primarily do now and might do in the future.

Actually, I think it was a fluke that Canon did decide to include a "rule of thirds" grid in the 1dm3 (something I've wanted in a DSLR). And the 3" LiveView feature...which I also wanted to see in a DSLR...surprised to see that appear first on one of Canon's Pro DSLR cameras...but welcomed. And as I said I hope to see these two features in the 40D. Small touches that may be insignificant to some but are worthwhile to me in addition to the many other more noteworthy features.

For me, I don't truly NEED the "pro features", but I think they are good to have. Whether you can make use of them now or grow into them later. Whether you're an enthusiastic hobbyist like me or some one that needs a 1dm3 to make a living with.

The 1dm3 just happens to be the first DSLR to have many of the features I've been hoping to see. Some features being more important than others. And some that might seem trivial. It's like Canon heard me and custom built me a DSLR. I don't know if you've ever come across a camera like that yet.We'll all just have to hope it doesn't disappoint us when tested.

Still, there is the 40D....and if it hasa few of the features I'venoticed in the 1dm3 I'll get the 40D...if not...then it's the 1dm3!! I guess we'll just have to wait on the news. Though at this point I doubt Canon will be making any more new DSLR announcements. As I'd assume Canon would have wanted to introduce the 40D with the 1dm3 at the upcoming PMA show.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:39 AM   #59
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
There are many "disappointed" folks out there on the internet, but their chief complaint seems to be a lack of megapixels...
I don't need more megapixel either and my hardisks tend to fill-up too fast!
The MrkIII is definetly a big improvement - but it leaves the door open for Nikon...

Let's not forget than the D2x was announced in 2004, a long time in this digital age, and I can only bet that theses folks are not sitting on their hands during all this time: At 12Mp today this old 1.5x crop Sony CMOS sensor still outresolves the (MrkIII @ 1.3x)!
The D2x already had multiple parallel processing paths ASICs and I'm sure they are just waiting in the wing... upclocking their CPU, add more buffering, and make those programmable parameters available to the UI - Their trump card is still what improvement from the 12Mp sensor...

A 40D with a 10Mp will be a disappointment IMO because the Sony's CMOS used in most dSLR was already there... done that - and they can only improve from here (i.e. cost reduced their 12Mp in the D2x)!
I just hope theses extra 2-bits in this MrkIII's A/D conversion show up in some real benefits
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:01 AM   #60

I attended the Canon UK Spring Launch press event at The Bridge, SE1 in central London earlier this week and was told there would be no further announcements before or during PMA.
Mark Goldstein is offline   Reply With Quote