Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:39 AM   #61

Mark Goldstein wrote:
Quote:
I attended the Canon UK Spring Launch press event at The Bridge, SE1 in central London earlier this week and was told there would be no further announcements before or during PMA.
Thanks Mark. I didn't think Canon would make any more announcements. Being as they already announced their compact digicams, new L-series lens, flagship flash, wireless adapter and the star of their show the 1dm3.

So, it looks like for those interested in the 40D just will have no choice but to wait till Photokina in the Fall. For any definitive news and the debut. Hopefully Canon will in the coming months wet our appetites by dropping bits of information (e.g. possible tech/features to be included).

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:58 PM   #62

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Mark. I didn't think Canon would make any more announcements. Being as they already announced their compact digicams, new L-series lens, flagship flash, wireless adapter and the star of their show the 1dm3.

So, it looks like for those interested in the 40D just will have no choice but to wait till Photokina in the Fall. For any definitive news and the debut. Hopefully Canon will in the coming months wet our appetites by dropping bits of information (e.g. possible tech/features to be included).

isn't photokina every other year 2002 2004 2006 2008?

i'm not sure of other camera shows, but i would think that for something as anticipated as the 40D they would debut it ata show ranther than a eventless mid-august launch

lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:46 PM   #63

lemondster wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:

isn't photokina every other year 2002 2004 2006 2008?

i'm not sure of other camera shows, but i would think that for something as anticipated as the 40D they would debut it ata show ranther than a eventless mid-august launch
Hello lemondster,

You're right. Photokina is every other year. I stand corrected. But the PMA show is annual.

And being that there was already a Photokina 2006...Then it just makes sense that the next Photokina show won't roll around till Fall 2008.I would have thought 2007 would be the year Canon would have wanted to introduce the 40D. If they are following the "new model every 18-months cycle". If they don't I'd be surprised.If we do still get the 40D this year Canonwill need to suddenly decide to springit on ussome time this year. Out of the blue. Out of no where. As there are no more major photography shows after the PMA.

Or, could Canon still introduce the 40D during the PMA show? Shrugs.

I'm just a little surprised Canon didn't announce the 40D the same day they announced the 1DM3. Go figure.

Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:44 PM   #64

PMA March 8-11, I hope they announce the 40D to bring down the price of the 30D!
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:01 AM   #65

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
PMA March 8-11, I hope they announce the 40D to bring down the price of the 30D!
I'm with you there pagerboy. Though I'm leaning more towards the 40D. Though, if the price is right on the 30D... :-)
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:59 PM   #66

Canon has fired the first shot, now it's waiting for Nikon to fire back maybe with a new pro dslr or anew mid level D200s which is overdue for an upgrade, then Canon will retaliate with the 40D.

All eyes are on the 40D, more affordable than the 1DMkIII.

The battlefield is on the 40D vs D200(xyz). I bet on the 40D. :-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:51 PM   #67

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
Canon has fired the first shot, now it's waiting for Nikon to fire back maybe with a new pro dslr or anew mid level D200s which is overdue for an upgrade, then Canon will retaliate with the 40D.

All eyes are on the 40D, more affordable than the 1DMarkIII.

The battlefield is on the 40D vs D200(xyz). I bet on the 40D. :-)
I say "let the battle begin!!". Better for people like me. Who are in the market for a new DSLR. And I really would love to see what Nikon does to answer. Tough to deliver a camera better than the 1DM3. If Nikon is also going to announce a PRO DSLR.

On the other hand, if we're going to see Nikon fire back with a D200s, Concentrating their efforts on a "semi-pro" (some would argue the D200 is a PRO DSLR) DSLR I'd be all for that too. And, at the same time, I'm sure Canon is pretty much ready to debut their 40D. But, I think the onus is on Canon to step up in delivering a landmark DSLR a lot more people can actually afford in the 40D (the 1DM3 is obviously not one at $3999.99 USD or $5399.99 CAD). As I think Canon let the ball roll into Nikon's court when they gave us just a very superficial upgrade from the 20D to bring us the 30D.

Not a bad camera. A fairly decent camera. But not one that made any kind of statement. As the sucessor to the 20D. Nikon made a HUGE splash with the D200. A gem of a DSLR with practically no flaws. Benchmark design (e.g. ergonomics). And terrific performance in most areas. It's just the D200's battery life that leaves a lot to be desired at approximately 340 shots per charge (CIPA). That's pathetic. Especially on a DSLR. Compared to the 30D's 900 plus shots per charge. Canon has always been better in this respect.

But, the thing is, after the PMA show there will be no major photography shows this year. So Canon and Nikon will have to suddenly spring their DSLRs on us out of the blue. I wonder how long it's going to take them. Wil we have to wait till October? I hope not. I was hoping they would have debuted their 40D or D200s at the PMA show.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:53 PM   #68

I expect Nikon to launch their new DSLR(s) with more MP than Canon's if they want to stay above water. Canon has the edge over Nikon in electronic circuitry, focus speed, they make their own sensor, any modification can be done in-house, Japan.

The Canon MkIII is up there patroling the sky, next the 40D surface to air missiles pointing upward, let see if Nikon dare to violateCanon'sno fly zone.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:30 PM   #69

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
I expect Nikon to launch their new DSLR(s) with more MP than Canon's if they want to stay above water. Canon has the edge over Nikon in electronic circuitry, focus speed, they make their own sensor, any modification can be done in-house, Japan.

The Canon MkIII is up there patroling the sky, next the 40D surface to air missiles pointing upward, let see if Nikon dare to violateCanon'sno fly zone.
I see some one's been watching his Top Gun dvd a lot lately. :-)

More MP? Shouldn't be too hard being that the 1DM3 only has 10. All Nikon would have to do is to give Nikonians a D200s with 12.8 MP and battery life of more than Canon 30D's 900 shots per charge. As well as also include the same useable ISO range of 100-3200 of the 1DM3. As that has been one of Nikon's weaknesses. Clean pictures shot at high ISO speeds. Among other things...

Any how, the PMA show hasn't begun yet. So if we're lucky we just might hear from both the Canon and Nikon camps again before the show is over. Failing that we'll hear something from them when they get around to it sometimes this year.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:41 AM   #70

You know, if you want to wait for the 40D, you may as well wait a few years and pick up the 60D because I hear it will have increased resolution, it will be three times faster than the current 30D, it will be powered by 2 Hydrogen and 1 Oxygen atom and it will cost 4 dollars less than the 30D.

I know, thats a smart a**ed thing to say but the truth is with technology something is already around the corner no matter what you want (camera, computer, VHS player, etc). I bought my first DSLR, Digital Rebel, a few years ago and just about 3 months after that, out came the Rebel XT. Sure I was upset but my Rebel did the job and I was very pleased with it. I say get the camera you want now and start enjoying it and don't worry about what is next in the chute, we can't keep up with Canon's R&D budget.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote