Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:33 AM   #71

I'm not looking for debate here, just a comment.
The D200's battery life is that bad? I'm shocked. Truly. The D100's battery life was stunningly good in its day. I'm really very surprised. My dad just got a D200, so I'll ask him what he gets. And he uses the 18-200 VR, which should use more power.

I absolutley want Nikon to come out with something stunning. Even if I won't get it (I've got too much sunk into Canon to jump ship right now. And I'm happy with Canon too!) Competition helps everyone, so I want more of it!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:55 AM   #72
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
It's just the D200's battery life that leaves a lot to be desired at approximately 340 shots per charge (CIPA).

You could always buy the optional battery pack if you don't want to carry a spare battery and need to take more shots before you get a break to swap the battery.

Without this option, Steve got about 500 shots with the D200 using an 18-200mm VR lens (with lots of chimping).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...d200_pg11.html

Quote:
The D200 is powered by Nikon's EN-EL3e 7.4-volt, 1500mAh Li-ion battery. The camera manages its battery with intelligence, displaying the battery's state of charge, number of images captured (Pic meter) and charge life from within the setup menu. A fully-charged EN-EL3e yielded about 500 images during our testing, including use of the lens Vibration Reduction in normal mode and a lot of LCD use exploring the menu system and reviewing images.

]

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:10 PM   #73

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I'm not looking for debate here, just a comment.
The D200's battery life is that bad? I'm shocked. Truly. The D100's battery life was stunningly good in its day. I'm really very surprised. My dad just got a D200, so I'll ask him what he gets. And he uses the 18-200 VR, which should use more power.

I absolutley want Nikon to come out with something stunning. Even if I won't get it (I've got too much sunk into Canon to jump ship right now. And I'm happy with Canon too!) Competition helps everyone, so I want more of it!

Eric
Hey Eric & JimC,

I was just going by a test report from http://www.image-resource.com (hope I don't get sent to the dungeons mentioning another website...heh). They listed a CIPA score of 340 shots per charge. On the other hand Ken Rockwell claims he got 700 shots per charge. And he admits to frequently checking his shots on the LCD and playing with the menus. So go figure. And Steve 500. Who's right? :-)

I'm guessing the "true" number is some where between 340-700. Which is still too low IMHO. In most test reports the 30D is rated for over 900 shots per charge. And Canon's are noted for being good at managing power. A big plus in my book. Makes me eager to find out what kind of battery life we can expect from the 40D. In real world conditions.

Why doesn't some one create a "real world test"? Lets say take the camera and shoot without flash till the battery totally drains. Call it the "sunny day test". :-) Then again using flash only till the battery drains. Outdoors and indoors. But not in a lab.

And, Eric, please do ask your father. I'd love to find out. How many shots he got per charge.

One guy I talked to last year claimed he got a little over 2000 shots with the battery grip and two proprietary batteries. Was he telling the truth? Then I saw a YouTube clip where some D200 owner showed a shots per charge reading of over 2100 shots and he claims the batter was only half used. Hmmmm...

In any case, Nikon does need to do something about their battery power useage and availability in the upcoming D200s. As we agree...competition between the companies can only benefit us all in one way or another.

Now if only Canon would introduce their 40D and Nikon their D200s at the PMA show.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:23 PM   #74

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Now if only Canon would introduce their 40D and Nikon their D200s at the PMA show.
I'd be surprised if either happens but especially the D200s. If you're expecting a D200s to compete with the 1d Mk III that isn't going to happen. That's what their D2X is for. The D200 was only announced in Nov 2005 and I believe wasn't available until Jan 2006. I seriously doubt Nikon is going to replace it so soon - their product life cycle tends to be around 2 years. Of course it's all speculation, but if anything they would replace the D50 - it's long in the tooth and I think there's still too much of a gap between the D40 and d80 to just keep those 2 cameras.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:25 PM   #75
Administrator

Yea.. you never know about these things.

There are a lot of variables (how hard the stabilzation system needs to work, how much hunting for focus, etc.).

I shoot mostly with a little KM Maxxum 5D now, and I got over 600 images on a single charge over the weekend, and I *still* don't have a low battery indication (and I was doing a *lot* of chimping). I have AS (in camera Anti-Shake) turned on, too.

Yet, Steve only got about 400 shots on a charge with this camera model.

It's got a > 1 year old battery in it, too. I think it's starting to last longer as it ages. LOL

It may be related to the lenses I was using on it, too (where the focus mechanism may not need to move as much as some other lenses). I used a Minolta 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8 on it for most shots, and it's still going strong after more than 600 shots on the charge (and I was even using Continuous Autofocus for most of them).

Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:17 PM   #76

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I'd be surprised if either happens but especially the D200s. If you're expecting a D200s to compete with the 1d Mk III that isn't going to happen. That's what their D2X is for. The D200 was only announced in Nov 2005 and I believe wasn't available until Jan 2006. I seriously doubt Nikon is going to replace it so soon - their product life cycle tends to be around 2 years. Of course it's all speculation, but if anything they would replace the D50 - it's long in the tooth and I think there's still too much of a gap between the D40 and d80 to just keep those 2 cameras.

Hey JohnG,

No I wasn't expecting the upcoming Nikon D200s to compete with the 1DM3. Though, I was hoping we would see it this year. In a few months. Along with the Canon 40D of course. But definitely an answer from Nikon to the 1DM3 in some shape or form. And, I don't think Nikon's flagship should be the one to do battle with the 1DM3. I think Nikon has always had a hole in that segment. The "sports photographer market". Nikon needs some new blood now IMHO. A pro DSLR that will make a bigger splash than the 1DM3. Good luck Nikon!!

But, in general, I think Nikon has always been unsure which market their hi-end DSLRs were and are to target. The D2Hs. Clearly one of their "pro" cameras. Yet only offers 8fps @ 4.1MP. Bahhh!! Thats what any of us needs, professional sports photographer or enthusiastic hobbyist, a mildly expensive fast low resolution camera. With less resolution than most entry-level compact cameras. What were they thinking??

Then there's the D2Xs. Nikon's king of the hill. At12.8MP @ 5 fps/6.8MP @ 8 fps does it compete against the 16MP 1DSM2 for commercial work? Were they hoping it would compete against Canon's previous speed-demon 1DM2N in the sports arena? Customizable features aside.

At least Canon's approach is much more sound. A camera aptly targeted towards a specific market. No confusion. The 5D for people looking for the cleanest images at a "fair" price. The 1DM3, currently the fastest (and dare I say most technologicaly advanced) DSLR on the market, for the sports photographer (or hobbyist). And the 1DsM2 for the commerical photographer where MP do matter.

And, 2 years between models for Nikon?? I haven't been following Nikon's production cycles but that does seem a little long. But if that's right then I guess we won't see the D200s till close to Xmas time. Or at least it won't be announced till then. I too do recall they didn't have the D200 in stores till the start of 2006.

If that's how it's going to play out again and Canon is smart by introducing the 40D this year they might get a jump on that segment of the DSLR market. Realizing the D200 is considered a "semi-pro" or "pro" camera. But any one who is in the market for a 30D or 40D will surely also be looking at a D200/D200s. I am. As only a few hundred dollars separates them. So I'd lump them together.

It would be nice if Canon would tempt us with some "leaked information" about the specs of the 40D. :-)

Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:51 AM   #77
NHL

IMO a D3x would compete with the 1D MrkIII quite well... :-)
Then cost reduced the 12.8Mp from the D2x into a new D400 to compete with the next D40 - That'll be interesting!

BTW I always thought the Nikon has the better battery system than Canon's:
"Running out of power on the D200 is harder than ever, since in addition to its remarkable capacity of up to 1800 shots per charge, the D200 also features an intelligent power management Fuel Gauge feature that constantly monitors the battery's precise remaining power in 1% increments. It also displays the total number of shots taken on each charge as well as overall life of the battery, so photographers can easily tell when to replace a battery." - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/d200.html

Only now does the Canon introduces this battery gauge on the MrkIII ... Their older battery on the D100 outlasted both the 10D and 20D by two (I checked this with my friends) packs!!!
-> The variation in the # of shots might have to do a lot with the lenses: older Nikkor lenses uses the camera's internal motor drive which is quite efficient - Some Nikon lenses now have AF-s ( like the USM) and VR (like IS) which could all reduce the number of shots as a lot more juice from the battery now flow toward the lenses instead of the camera... (for more shots)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:40 AM   #78

Come on NHL - don't you like an indicator that says full for 95% of the shots, half for the last 20 and then runs out? I a6gree, Canon's battery indicatorsin the 20d and 300d (only canon dslrs ive owned) are pretty bad.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:58 AM   #79

I'd still give the nod to Canon for better battery life. As the "1800 shots per charge" number is Nikon's own lab test numbers and not the numbers every one else seems to be getting. Though, as far as battery level readouts, I suppose that honor goes to Nikon and their "fuel gauge".

How has the 1DM3 improved on the readout? Is it mentioned in the white paper? Haven't had a chance to go through that yet.

On a side note...I think Steve should setup an IRC room for us to go to. I'm surprised there isn't one already. How great would it be to be able to talk shop asking questions and getting replies immediately. Instead of having to post and wait in a forum.

Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:04 AM   #80
Administrator

But, if the questions are asked and answered in the forums, it benefits other members, too, especially if users search for threads related to what they want to know (and there's no guarantee that an IRC solution would get you answers any faster, even if it became more popular).

They can be fun. I spend some time in some of the Linux distros' IRC channels from time to time, where discussion may stray from what web sites are comfortable allowing in forums (especially given the wide range of legal issues that come up with some of the codecs used for audio and video, depending on what country a Linux dstro maintainer is in) I just don't see that type of solution being quite as useful for this type of site.