Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:14 AM   #81

JimC wrote:
Quote:
But, if the questions are asked and answered in the forums, it benefits other members, too, especially if users search for threads related to what they want to know (and there's no guarantee that an IRC solution would get you answers any faster, even if it became more popular).

They can be fun. I spend some time in some of the Linux distros' IRC channels from time to time, where discussion may stray from what web sites are comfortable allowing in forums (especially given the wide range of legal issues that come up with some of the codecs used for audio and video, depending on what country a Linux dstro maintainer is in) I just don't see that type of solution being quite as useful for this type of site.
Hiya JimC,

I agree. There definitely are benefits to forums. But with an IRC# we can usually get immediate replies. Carrying out a conversation. Why not have the forum AND an IRC#? Maybe you can talk to Steve and the other moderators. Doesn't take much to setup a chat room.

Any how that's all I have to say on this topic. I think maybe we should carry on this topic in PMs?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:17 PM   #82
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
How has the 1DM3 improved on the readout? Is it mentioned in the white paper? Haven't had a chance to go through that yet.
The new battery is a BIG improvement over the MrkII's. The old battery was NiMh which makes the 1D (already heavier than a D2X) heavier still... The old 1D charger was also massive with two cables sticking out!

It was mentioned in the white paper that the MrkIII display has 6 segments with 1% numerical accuracy and a count of shutter remaining
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:42 PM   #83
Administrator

I've always liked the Sony InfoLithium System because of it's way of showing time remaing on a battery, even though the batteries were usually more expensive.

It's my understanding that combination of smarts in the battery and smarts in the camera is used to get it.

I've had a Sony DSC-F505 and P10 with it, and even though I didn't like some of the other stuff about them, the battery time remaining was neat.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:47 PM   #84

I just hope they haven't made the battery too complex - I really like the idea of 3rd party batteries for half the OEM cost. And, let's face it - $120 for a batttery is just silly. I've used 3rd party batteries on my 20d for a year and a half and while they seem to drain quicker in cold weather than my OEM battey they were like 1/3 the cost and had longer battery life. So, in the end - i guess I'd rather be able to buy an inexpensive third party battery than spend $120 on a 2nd or 3rd battery made by canon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:43 PM   #85

Improving the battery is a great thing, I fully agree.
One thing I find interesting with the "N" is that I get.... around 1000 pictures, probably more. I get so many pictures on one battery that I don't even notice. I just shoot until it's dead and then use the backup. I know that a few weekends ago I was shooting eagles in around 20 degrees temp and the battery lasted for over 600 (and it still going.)

So the current battery is heavy and big and expensive... but it isn't "Bad". It just could be better - incorporate more modern tech.

The battery meter could certainly be better - but the reality is that I ignore it. I shoot until I see it blinking ("about to die") and then if I'm busy I keep shooting and if not I swap it with my backup.

Where I've had trouble is with my non-OEM (a Duracel, I believe) backup. It has started to not lock in place as well as the Canon. Once I turned the camera to portate and the camera died. Turned out the battery slid out slightly and disconnected. Cost me a red-tail takeoff.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:31 PM   #86

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Improving the battery is a great thing, I fully agree.
One thing I find interesting with the "N" is that I get.... around 1000 pictures, probably more. I get so many pictures on one battery that I don't even notice. I just shoot until it's dead and then use the backup. I know that a few weekends ago I was shooting eagles in around 20 degrees temp and the battery lasted for over 600 (and it still going.)

So the current battery is heavy and big and expensive... but it isn't "Bad". It just could be better - incorporate more modern tech.

The battery meter could certainly be better - but the reality is that I ignore it. I shoot until I see it blinking ("about to die") and then if I'm busy I keep shooting and if not I swap it with my backup.

Where I've had trouble is with my non-OEM (a Duracel, I believe) backup. It has started to not lock in place as well as the Canon. Once I turned the camera to portate and the camera died. Turned out the battery slid out slightly and disconnected. Cost me a red-tail takeoff.

Eric
Canon's have never had problems with their power supplies. As a matter a fact, in the many test reports I've read, Canon DSLRs have usually come very close to the quoted shots per charge by Canon. It's the Nikon's that fall short big time. So while we could always use more power everytime they introduce a new camera it's not an issue for Canon DSLRs IMHO.

It will be interesting to see how well the 1DM3's battery does in real world testing. Will it still deliver anything near Canon's claimed 2200 shots per charge? And what about the 40D? Will we see much of a gain in "shots per charge"? Time will tell.

Now if only Canon would hurry up and leak some information on the specs (yes I know I said it already). :-)
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:46 AM   #87

im really hoping that canon comes out with a true "WOW" camera. something that makes both canon and nikon users stop on a dime. personally i would take the canon a little futher out of the consumer market (nix the print button and scene modes) and go for some more creative controls as seen in the 5D's color controls and the D200's multiple exposure feature and weather/dust sealing.

i remember when i got my 20D it wasn't too hard of a decision for me at the time to choose it over the D100. I think that if i were in the same situation today and even with the rumored specs that are on the internet, i would be choosing the D200.

I still love my 20D, and it is still my primary camera. i want to upgrade to a newer camera and still use the 20D as a backup/secondary camera. (wide angle on one body and tele on another)

IMO i would prefer a stunning 40D later in the year over a "20D mkII N" at PMA. (a stunning 40D at PMA would rock my socks though :?)
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:09 AM   #88

lemondster wrote:
Quote:
im really hoping that canon comes out with a true "WOW" camera. something that makes both canon and nikon users stop on a dime. personally i would take the canon a little futher out of the consumer market (nix the print button and scene modes) and go for some more creative controls as seen in the 5D's color controls and the D200's multiple exposure feature and weather/dust sealing.

i remember when i got my 20D it wasn't too hard of a decision for me at the time to choose it over the D100. I think that if i were in the same situation today and even with the rumored specs that are on the internet, i would be choosing the D200.

I still love my 20D, and it is still my primary camera. i want to upgrade to a newer camera and still use the 20D as a backup/secondary camera. (wide angle on one body and tele on another)

IMO i would prefer a stunning 40D later in the year over a "20D mkII N" at PMA. (a stunning 40D at PMA would rock my socks though :?)
I'm with you on that. I too am VERY interested in seeing what Canon does with the 40D. And being as the D200 has been on the market for almost a year and a half that should have given Canon more than enough time to come out with a "D200 beater". Or at least something dramatically better than the 30D. Though, coming out with something better than the D200 is not an easy task. Just as it won't be easy for Nikon to come out with a DSLR that betters the 1DM3. Good luck to both companies!!

But if Canon drops the ball with the 40D (which I'd doubt being that there are new technologies in the 1DM3 that could be implemented in the 40D...like the 3" LiveView screen, useable ISO range of 100-3200, rule of thirds grid, dust removal, 1 DIGIC III chip) and only gives us a camera with minor upgrades (e.g. 10MP, dust removal, DIGIC III chip) I'm getting the D200 (or the D200s...assuming it's on the market later this year).

Unfortunately we'll just have to keep waiting for news. :sad: So far not a peep regarding either the 40D nor D200s.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:38 AM   #89
NHL

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I had the same problem with non-OEM on the 1D, but all it took was to remove the 2 screws from the old Canon battery (which now only lasted about 120 shots/charge)... swapped the latched end and voila the 3rd party works better that the used OEM!

-> Everyone should try to handle the D2X - It feels so well in your hand compact and lot lighter than the 1 series... I hope the MrkIII can achieve this sort of handling :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:29 PM   #90

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:

But if Canon drops the ball with the 40D (which I'd doubt being that there are new technologies in the 1DM3 that could be implemented in the 40D...like the 3" LiveView screen,

DarkDTSHD,

I'd like you to meet the Canon boss Fujio Mitarai, you can see that he doesn't have enough with Nikon, now he's trying to mess around with Sony. We have Canon DSLR vs Nikon DSLR, we'll soon have CanonTVvs Sony TV.

The Canon boss is on the offensive, good luck to him. :-)

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/02/news...ce=yahoo_quote

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote