Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1

I have a 10D and I am ready to upgrade. I am interested in the Rebel XTi but I am afraid the 40D might be released any day. Any ideas?What do you think a 40D might cost? Will it have a lot more features than the 30D? Will it come out before the holidays? I know this is pure conjecture, but I am one of these people who hate to spend large amounts of money only to find a better deal comes out the day after you bought your new camera.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:10 AM   #2

I hear you on the waiting thing.

While there are some here who will say get the 30D and start taking pictures I say wait untilPhotokina, which is supposed to be on the 26th, to see what develops. Everyone is scrambling to reach ten megapixels to stay in the race so it may well develop that Canon has something in the making; not necessarily a complete upgrade to the 30D (after all it's only been since March that the 30D was introduced) but something to keep customers attracted to it: a bell here and a whistle there.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:07 PM   #3

well if your going to wait for the 40d, maybe you should go ahead and wait for the 50d or maybe even the 60d. There is always going to be a new model on the horizon. It makes no difference which one you get, it will be replaced by a new model in just a few short months. I have the 20D and was not at all tempted by the 30D, as it was just not what I would concider an upgrade, but just a new and improved model of the same camera. I have no idea when or what the 40D will have to offer, but my idea of an upgrade would be moving up to the 5D, 1Dn, or 1DS Mark II. I would much rather be out taking pictures than waiting for the next new camera to come out.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:18 PM   #4

Terry,

If it helps you any - the press day for Photokina is over and no new announcements were made by Canon. If they follow their past behavior, a new camera would not be announced until the February time frame. Which would seem to coincide with statements they made several months back indicating new innovations in spring of next year (wish I still had a link to that article).

So, in general, August/September and Feb/Mar are the timeframes Canon tends to announce their new cameras. And a given CanonDSLR body typically sticks around for 12-18 months.

Bottom line - as Caboose said, there's always another camera around the corner. While waiting a week or two to find out if a new camera is coming is OK, we're now past the point Canon is likely to introduce a new model so either wait and worry for another 6 months or buy a camera now and spend the next 6 months shooting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:24 PM   #5
NHL

I tend to agree with JohnG (and Caboose) - Basically there's no news on Canon's front:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/photokina2006_index.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:08 PM   #6

And I will agree now that there isn't any reference to what the initial poster had in mind with his comments. I saw no evidence of a new 40D nor anything else. So now a 40D isn't in the equation for him. I'm sure he sees this too and will act accordingly. Besides, waiting for the 60D is much too long. Context.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:19 PM   #7

Thanks for all the comments. They were very helpful. Since there is nothing on the horizon I am placing an order.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:15 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I was in a similar situation, however I was looking to move from a Konica Minolta 5D to something Canon. This was a big step as I have spent a lot on lenses for KM including a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 so I knew it would not be a cheap move. After seeing nothing has been released at Photokina I went and bought my nice new 30D, vertical grip, Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 1.4x TC, Canon 580 Speedlight, Canon remote shutter release and........ nope that is about it..... phew that was a quick way to blow a few thousand,but it is going to be worth it. I need to have the higher continuous shoot speed and faster AF and the main reason is I plan to get my hands on the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 which you can't get for the KM/Sony mount.

stylAm I pleased with everything, well I will let you know after the weekend when I have shot my first field hockey match of the season but everything looks good so far?!

Terry, I hope you enjoy it as much as I hope to.

Mark http://www.photographysmith.co.uk

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:30 AM   #9
NHL

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I plan to get my hands on the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 which you can't get for the KM/Sony mount.
You'll love this lens...

It's really flexible - with a 2x it'll become a 600mm f/5.6 in a jiffy:

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:45 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I just need to sell some more photos first and then will be able to think about getting it.

I am just taking my 30D back to the shop as it is back focusing for some reason but they have a new one in so will switch it out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote