Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:56 PM   #1

Hi:

I'm currently using a Panasonic/Lumix DMC-FZ20 to do hobbyist sports photography, mostly for the local high school (football, soccer, field hockey, etc). I'm not a professional but I usually get some decent pictures that I share with the players and parents. The FZ20 is adequate during a sunny day but the picture quality degrades at low light situations when itscloudyor during night games under stadium lighting.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Canon 5D SLRfrom a professional photographer who is upgrading his personal cameras. He mostly does weddings and modeling gigs so the camera is in very good condition. I could never afford to buy a new 5D but he's offering me a good price for his used model.

My question to all of you is, has anyone used the 5D for sports or action photography and, if so, what have beenyour experiences? He's including the stock lens but I'm assuming that I'll have to upgrade to a decent zoom model, probably 300mm or up. Any feedback is appreciated.

CotaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:47 PM   #2

I should point out first that the lens is going to be the most deciding factor when it comes the low light. Of course you want a camera capable of high ISO to assist in getting your shutter speed up while keeping noise low. Any of the Canon DSLR will do that. The 5D however only does 3fps continuous so its not a good choice. You would be much better off with a 20D or 30D that will do 5fps.

If you printing mostly 8x10 or below, I would go so far as to suggest a used Canon 1D. Its only 4mp but is superior to the prosumers when it comes to focusing and continuous shoot (8fps). You can usually pick one of these up for $1000. The drawbacks on this one is that even though the noise levels are not terrible, they are not nearly as good as the 20D, 30D or new pro bodies like the 1D Mark II. Another drawback is since its 4mp you shots need to be framed because you will be limited on how much cropping you can do before the quality falls off.

The lens is going to be your next hurdle. You should be looking at the 70-200 f2.8 A 300 f4 L IS will do excellent with good light but when you start losing light you will wish you had a 2.8 lens. Sigma also makes some 2.8 lenses.

Maybe more than you wanted to know or maybe you already knew... but there it is. Unless your friend is cutting you an outstanding deal, I'm guessing you will easily pick up a 20D, 30D or 1D and a 70-200 2.8 L lens for that same price or less and end up with a much better sports setup.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:55 PM   #3

honestly, the 5fps/8fps shudnt be the deciding factor. I understand the FPS may be useful for many in sports. But honestly i think one can get great pictures even without the higher FPS>

5D is honestly one of the greatest camera. If ur getting a good deal, and u can afford it u shud get it.

Regarding lens cost, its going to be the same even in case of 20D or 30D. But the 1.6x factor may play in to ur hands for sports since u wil need a long tele for most sports.

So if its feasible go for it

U wont regret.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:16 PM   #4

You might also want to do a search on the 5D concerning dust. I'm not that familiar with the problem but its my understanding their is an issue that is not present on the other prosumer bodies. Something to consider if your using it for outdoor sports.

As the other person pointed out.. no doubt one can get a good picture with just one shot. The higher fps is about getting as many shots between point A and B, increasing the number of great shots you get or the chance of getting a great shot. Since you say you are a hobbyist then it may not matter but if you are at all serious or plan on getting more serious than it should be a deciding factor.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:31 PM   #5

The 5D is a fantastic camera but you will need really good lenses for sport. To get the same 'zoom' as on your FZ20 you will need a 400mm+ lens, and a lens that long that is fast enough for sport is going to cost you several thousand dollars.
The 30D or Rebel are better for sports if you are on a budget because the crop factor makes the lenses longer. A 70-200f2.8 on the 30D has a similar field of view to a 300f2.8 on a 5D but is WAY cheaper.
With sport photography you either have the shutter speed to get the shot or you don't. Nearly good enough is no better than nowhere near good enough. For this reason you will not do much better with a dslr than with your P&S unless you also have a long and fast lens.
Before you buy the camera do some window shopping for lenses that are 300-400mm and f4 or faster. If you can't afford one then there is little point in getting the 5D (for the sport at least - it's still a truly great camera).
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:45 AM   #6

Yours is exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for and I greatly appreciate your time in responding to my post. I've learned that reading professional reviews is one thing but personal experience from the people that use the equipment is usually the most valuable. Thanks again.
CotaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:27 AM   #7

You shouldn't buy the 5D, you should have him call me so I can buy it!
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:06 PM   #8

urbanaries...unless the used 5D is way less than $2k, might as well wait 'til Oct. 15 to get a brand new one. Canon will be offering a $300 rebate on it...and if you buy a lens from the select list, Canon doubles the rebate value to $600, plus they also double the value on the rebate of the lens you're gonna get!

Example:
5D from B&H at $2750: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&Submit=Go

85mm f1.8 from B&H at $340: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

$2750 + $340 - $600 - $40 = $2450.

Sell the 85mm if you don't want it.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:02 PM   #9

Quote:
$2750 + $340 - $600 - $40 = $2450.

Alpineman! you're killing me 'softly' with this kind of math/logic.

"Don't bring us into temptation, but delivery us the 5D instead..."

Remembered the Commandment!

:lol:
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote