Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:25 PM   #1

Has any one heard any news on the upcoming Mark III/DIGIC III DSLR cameras? Isn't it about time for Canon to update their 1D series cameras along with the rest with the new DIGIC III chip? I was surprised to see Canon release the XTi without the DIGIC III chip. Bad timing? Canon released 4 P&S cameras with DIGIC III...

I'm interested to see what changes Canon will make to the 1D Mark II-N. Perhaps bump the MP to 12.8? Shrug. Make it a FF camera?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:37 PM   #2

Canon has said some time ago that they want to merge the 1D & 1Ds line into one camera.

That would be easy to do technically, if they were willing to charge a lot of money for it. The parts are all in existance now. If you cropped of 30% of the current 1Ds MkII you get a higher resolution image than the 1D MkII N (It just would have the higher frame rate, AF speed and some other things... but they could solve that.)

I just don't think they can do it at a reasonable price point. The 1Ds family of cameras is really expensive! I own an "N", but I wouldn't have purchased on if it was the price of the latest 1Ds family camera. No way.

The 1D MkII N is too new, I don't think they'll upgrade that one for awhile.

I expect they will improve or replace the 1Ds MkII's replacement next. I wouldn't be surprised if they go somewhere between 18 & 24MP. But that is starting to get so big that it makes backup and manipulation difficult. There really is a point where the image doesn't need to be bigger (I'd take less noise and 16MP than the same noise and 18 or 20MP.)

I don't expect them to merge the two Pro body lines just yet.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:37 PM   #3

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Canon has said some time ago that they want to merge the 1D & 1Ds line into one camera.

That would be easy to do technically, if they were willing to charge a lot of money for it. The parts are all in existance now. If you cropped of 30% of the current 1Ds MkII you get a higher resolution image than the 1D MkII N (It just would have the higher frame rate, AF speed and some other things... but they could solve that.)

I just don't think they can do it at a reasonable price point. The 1Ds family of cameras is really expensive! I own an "N", but I wouldn't have purchased on if it was the price of the latest 1Ds family camera. No way.

The 1D MkII N is too new, I don't think they'll upgrade that one for awhile.

I expect they will improve or replace the 1Ds MkII's replacement next. I wouldn't be surprised if they go somewhere between 18 & 24MP. But that is starting to get so big that it makes backup and manipulation difficult. There really is a point where the image doesn't need to be bigger (I'd take less noise and 16MP than the same noise and 18 or 20MP.)

I don't expect them to merge the two Pro body lines just yet.

Eric
Hello Eric,

I did read about that after I posted this thread. That Canon is thinking of merging the 1Ds & 1D cameras. Which I don't think is a good idea either. As you said, the resulting camera would be too expensive. Maybe costing more than the current 1Ds? Even if you are a "professional". At that point, as a professional, wouldn't you be opting for medium format cameras any how?

Plus, it would kill a good portion of their semi-pro market. People looking to setup from maybe a 30D to the N. People wanting a camera that can give them 8.5 FPS, better weather sealing...etc. Sports photographers come to mind. Or hobbiists like me who also like to shoot sporting events or just photography where there is a bit of movement (e.g. dance, multicultural festivals...etc.).

For some reason I didn't think the N camera was that new. Shrug. When in fact I think it came out around the same time as the 5D correct? So if Canon will replace the N camera I suppose we'd have to wait till the same time next year?

Well, we'll just have to wait till PMA 2007 to see what Canon is planning next with their DSLR cameras. Hope there's some good news to be had. It's now Canon's turn to bring a landmark DSLR to market. I think this year it was Nikon with their D200.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:28 PM   #4

The N was so minor an upgrade to the 1D MKII, I don't consider it a "new" body (although technically you are right it isn't *that* old.) Lets see what Steve's DSLR list says:
12/11/2002 - 1Ds
01/31/2005 - 1Ds MkII
12/27/2001 - 1D
04/25/2004 - 1D MkII
10/30/2005 - 1D MkII N

11/13/2005 - 5D

So while the "N" is newer, I think it was only a stopgap. Just a wild guess (with no facts behind it) but I wonder if they knew the 1D MkIII would be late so they did the minor upgrade to not look too old. Who knows? But by the 1D MkII being almost a year older than the 1Ds MkII, I think the 1D family will gain a new body first. I hope not, I haven't had the N for very long (6 months or so) but that is what I would expect.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:48 AM   #5

Hey eric,

Thanks for the info. In any event, being as the N camera isn't even 1 year old, and judging by the time it took Canon to deliver the N to market from the 1D Mark II...it looks like you're safe for another year. As I doubt they would debut the "Mark III-N at the 2007 PMA show.

A new 1D model? Interesting guess. Placed between the N and the 1Ds? I figure Can has the pro market covered already with the 1Ds and the N. Shrug.

We'll definitely find out next year though. Either at the PMA show or as part of Fall releases at Photokina. I can wait.

Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:46 PM   #6
NHL

DarkDTSHD

Why wait the SD14 is quite interesting... right now!

It sounds from one of the post that it's quite easy to change an EOS's EF mount to a Sigma quite easily too
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:38 PM   #7

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD

Why wait the SD14 is quite interesting... right now!

It sounds from one of the post that it's quite easy to change an EOS's EF mount to a Sigma quite easily too
Hiya NHL,

Yes, I noticed that SD14. Saw the video clip demoing it at the Photokina show on another website. And they did show you how easy it is to quickly change the ISO and WB without taking your eye off the viewfinder. Cute LCD graphics.

But this camera, to me, is a mixed bag. It's a 14MP camera. Joy. Bragging rights!! (kidding). I do like the direct access to changing the ISO/WB (forget what the other 2 options were....ISO/WB was the north/south positions). But on the other hand it has includes some entry-level features like a 5-point AF, shutter speeds of 30-1/4000, continuous shooting of up to 7 consecutive shots...Impressive!! NOT. Yet they want to charge as much as the cost of a Nikon D200. Which is easily the superior camera IMHO.

Curious, are all Sigma cameras made in Japan? I believe their lens/filters are.

Tell you what. YOU get the SD14 and tell me how much you like it. I'll just hang on to my shorts and wait for PMA 2007 to see what Canon may or may not include in the 40D.

Time for dinner. Have a good week!

PART 2 (October 5th):

Hello NHL,

Just read the review on the XTi at www.dcresources.com. Noticed on a picture of the back you could see that Canon has4 cursor buttons allowing you to set the ISO/WB/AF mode/meteringmode.Actually, they had this on the XT too. Why it's not on the 30D I don't know. Any how, with the XT you had to press the set button to make the setting stick. And according to the review you have to look on the LCD screen. Didn't mention if you could see the changes through the viewfinder a la Nikon D200. And IMHO only Nikon has got this right so far.

I'm not sure with the Sigma SD14 but I'm guessing it's like the Canon XT/XTi in that the cursor buttons just function as short-cut keys and that you still have to take your eye off the viewfinder, look at the LCD screen, to make sure you made the change. Which sort of defeats the purpose. :?

As I said, I'd love to seeCanon add this to the 40D. And implement it properly. As Nikon has. Allow 40D users to be looking through the viewfinder and make the changes to the ISO/WB/AF/metering. Without having to press a SET button.

Are you listening Canon!!!??? :idea: