Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1

This is my first time posting in this area so I do appreciate any advice.

I am thinking of purchasing a Canon Rebel Digital Camera. I currently do not have a digital SLR but was wondering if a Digital Rebel Camera can accomodate older lenses from a Yashica SLR camera? I do not know if new digital cameras require news lenses or not? If anybody can help me out, thanks!!!

I currently have a Panasonic FZ30 and luv it but was just looking into other options!

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2

The only lenses that the Rebel will take are lenses with the EOS (FD) lens mount.
So I don't believe they will take any lenses form a Yashica SLR camera.

And Canon is rather tight about the design of their lens mount (even Sigma, who sells lenses for their cameras, had to reverse engineer the mount protocols) I don't believe there is even a viable adapter for Nikon lenses so I wouldn't expect one for other brands.

Sorry.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:35 AM   #3
NHL

Eric, the FD is Canon's mechanical mount... Only the EF electronic mount will fit the EOS series
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:25 AM   #4

thanks for the information. I beleive that I will have to start from scatch with the digital SLR and lenses.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:04 PM   #5

There are adapters that will allow use of Contax/Yashica bayonet or M42 screw lenses (depending on how old your Yashica is) on EOS bodies but you lose diaphragm automation (and there never was autofocus). I do not recommend this as a regular feature but it will allow use of any lens you have that is really worth the effort and not easily matched in Canon. I use the adapter (usually about $20 on eBay) with my 100mm Yashica macro lens for stationary objects. It does well with flowers and less well with bees. The meter works in Av or M modes. Loss of autofocus is minor for many uses but I really miss auto diaphragm control and would love to replace this old lens with a Canon model.

Sample with CY EOS adapted 100mm Yashica macro:
http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/image/67925205
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:41 AM   #6

thanks for the detailed information. I was at a Photography Show in Toronto yesterday and asked the Yashica guy the question and he said the same thing. I think for now I will just try and master the Panasonic FZ30 I have and when I am tired of that, then I will upgrade. That was a neat lizard photo but I see what you mean by loss of detail. thanks so much again..