Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:44 PM   #1

Hi everyone - this is my first post. I am kind of a newbie/kind of not, but let's pretend that I am.

I purchased a factory refurbished 20D about 2.5 months ago. The lenses I have for it include a Tamron AF 19-35mm 3.5-4.5, a Canon AF 50mm 1.8, a Tamron AF 70-300mm 4-5.6, as well as my Canon lense that came with my Rebel XII (purchased in 1996) that I don't have with me at the moment. 30-85mm zoom maybe? Anyway...

At first, I thought I had an autofocus problem. I would be happily taking pictures (this was in my "testing the camera" phase) and suddenly it wouldn't take anymore. The round green light (which I think is the autofocus confirmation light) inside the viewfinder would come on, then blink out. Even if I had just taken exactly the same picture a moment before.

After lots of playing around, I think it might actually be an exposure problem. (or maybe both! who knows!) I have tried all my different lenses (in both manual and auto focus), I have used my tripod and hand held the camera, I have used the remote release and the self timer and I have tried all the different modes on the camera, from manual to fully automatic. It mostly seems to happen inside (on camera flash, separate flash or no flash) as opposed to outside. Sometimes, I have tried holding the shutter button down for longer than usual, and sometimes, it has eventually snapped a picture.

What gets me is that I can try taking a handful of shots of exactly the same subject, back to back (ie nothing changing) and twice it will work and twice it won't! I have now missed a number of shots that were important to me because I just couldn't get the camera to snap!

I have reset everything (using the master clear). I have tried a different battery and made sure mine was charged.

I am ready to run over my camera. Does anyone have any ideas? If not, does anyone want to buy a gently used Canon 20D? Thanks in advance.

ewebrat
ewebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:14 PM   #2
NHL

First thing first...

Can you switch the lens (any lens) to manual AF and try if the camera releases everytime?
-> We'll go from there...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:46 PM   #3

No, it still doesn't work consistently. It works more often than it does when it is on AF, but still not every time.

:sad:

The only noticeable difference is that using manual focus seems more likely to fix the problem if I am shooting outdoors.

This part might be my imagination, but... Sometimes, when it seems like nothing I do or change seems to enable me to take ANY picture, I will shut off the camera completely for a minute or two and then, sometimes, I can take almost the same picture that it wouldn't take 5 minutes earlier!

Boy, I sure hope you can understand these crazy descriptions! And now I look at the subject and see that I can't even SPELL Canon! Arrgghhhh!
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:31 AM   #4
spy

I'm going to lean towards blowing out the card slot and insert a new one. Your describing some similar issues I had with my first 20D. I had a faulty card and once I replaced it, it worked just fine.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:57 AM   #5

EWE....
Just a thought....
You mentioned the focusing "green" light coming on and then blinking and then turning off....Might be a bad sensor...I know if the camera can't find focus it wont shoot...
This is not your case but I shoot weddings and have had a problem with the camera finding focus in a dark situation...Correct me if I am wrong but the camera sends out a infra red signal to bounce back and determine the focus range...That could be going bad or being blocked some how....Just a thought...

One other thing to try if you haven't yet...Check the lens contacts on your camera...Make sure they are clean and not recessed where the lens contacts dont make good contact..
:roll:
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:50 AM   #6

You guys are great. I will try all of these suggestions today and let you know what happens.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.:-) Wish me luck!
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:35 PM   #7

Well, it looks like maybe I need that sensor looked at. I put a brand new card in and tried that. I cleaned the lens contacts on the camera body and on the lenses. It just doesn't want to cooperate. If anyone else has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I will take it in to the camera shop next week.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:14 PM   #8

try a hardcore reset.

mine does that once every thousand or so shots and i take it happens and i take out the battery and the backup battery and then it works fine.

give it a shot
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:15 PM   #9

Ewe....
Sounds like you have done everything I would have tried before sending it to Canon...
The 20D has been a awsome camera for me so getting it fixed for yourself will be well worth it...Good luck...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote