Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:49 PM   #1

Opinion
Took it back within 48 hours.

Liked the large clear screen and at last (over my EOS 20d) can see the ISO setting. Intuitive menus and the screen displays a short explanation of each symbol - never even opened the manual.

Aftre dust problems on the sensor on my 20d, was looking for the dust protection features in 400d.

ProblemsAwful image quality (using good quality 17-85 IS lens from canon), poor metering as underexposed, odd fuzzy look to images (aggressive NR?) and at ISO 400 dark water reflections looked more like a watercolour effect than a good image. On pressing shutter, mirror noise cheap & nasty.

Did I simply have a "wrong 'un" or is the dash to 10MPixel at the expense of image quality. Images not a patch on my 20d.

Very disappointed.

Dave Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:20 PM   #2

I have been noticing that my 400D is also producing darker than expected images. My Powershot Pro1 had better exposure control than the 400D. I also noticed that with the Canon 18-85mm IS lens, the image is noticably softer too.
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:30 AM   #3

I am having the same trouble with my XTi that I have been using for a week. I called the Canon support and they said that it was normal and to just set the exposure compensation up 2\3rds or so. The flash is also weak on this camera.Ibought this one for the improved focusng over the XT that I had,which the XTi has improved focsing and menus,but the exposure is really worisome. I wonder if the 30D exposes the same as the XTi?
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:14 AM   #4

I don't know what the issue is with your XTi, but one main reason I decided to get one is a real estate broker working for the same company as I do uses an XTi to photograph his listings. The photos he sends me have been very impressive... nicely detailed and sharp, both outdoor and indoor shots.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5
RJR

Kanji wrote:
Quote:
I am having the same trouble with my XTi that I have been using for a week. I called the Canon support and they said that it was normal and to just set the exposure compensation up 23rds or so. The flash is also weak on this camera.Ibought this one for the improved focusng over the XT that I had,which the XTi has improved focsing and menus,but the exposure is really worisome. I wonder if the 30D exposes the same as the XTi?

I just went from theMinolta 7D that I almost always had good luck with exposure and acurate built in flash results to the Canon 30D.

Initially I was very disappointed with the flash results and exposure on the Canon but after playing around with the metering modes and switching from the default "Evaluative Metering" to "Spot Metering" Ifound I had much improved and consistant exposure and flash results. The evaluative metering seems to work well outdoors but not very well indoors. It sounds like the XTi and the 30D have a similar setup.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:06 PM   #6

I am also having major issues with the XTi. I can take five shots within a minute of the same subject and one shot will be darker than the others. I also noticed that all pictures taken with my Canon 420EX flash comes out WAY too dark, the subject would be barely illuminated. I was told the flash is compatible with the camera but i have found it to be otherwise. i am using the Canon 17-85mm IS lens shooting either at full auto or programmed mode. i have also talked to Canon support and they said to reset the camera to its default settings and try again. Compared to my previous camera, the PwerShot Pro1, the XTi is a major disappointment. I never had any exposure issues or worries with the Pro1. I know the flash is fine because using it on the Pro1 again results in normal exposures.

This was shot at full auto with the built-in flash popping up but did not fire, go figure.
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:13 PM   #7

here is another shot.... This was with the Canon 420EX flash on full auto
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:15 PM   #8

and another... shot with the camera in programmed mode. Mind you a number ofshots come out fine, but about 20% comes out dark like this did. This was taken on a sunny afternoon.
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:20 PM   #9

This shows you how bright the day was. It was taken about a minute before the above shot...... again, programmed mode with the evaluative metering.
Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:02 AM   #10
NHL

I can see problem with the 1st two shots:
1. The camera can't tell the differences between the hightlight and shadow areas unless it is set on a narrower spot - On average the bright backgrounds and the dark foreground combined to a neutral value which meets the camera metering
2. Again that bright white projector screen looks too bright for the camera which think it's neutral grey(and exposed for it) instead and darkened the whole scene!

The 3rd image is perfectly normal, but here you're running againts the limited dynamic range of all digital cameras
(i.e. you'll be getting the same effect on sunny outdoor wedding with bright bride and dark groom)

IMO there's nothing wrong with this camera - try the FEL button (Flash Exposure Lock) on a more neutral part of the subjects. :idea:
-> Most cameras are set to expose on neutral grey only... and try to understand how the evaluative metering work (it's not as smart as your brain)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote