Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:56 AM   #1

Can somebody give some inputs on Camera insurance. I tried searching through the forum but coudnt exactly do an isolated search.

Sorry if this is a repeated question. But it would be great if someone can point to Camera insurance and the kind of coverage one can get.

Thanks

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:59 PM   #2

most insurance companies will do a rider or supliment to your homeowners or renters policy for specific items such as camera equipment. If you do work for hire, or bring people into your home for photo sessions or get paid in any way for your photography work, that type of insurance will probably not cover you. You would need to get what is called an inland marine policy, or buisness policy. This type of policy would also include some liability insurance among other things. The supliment to your homeowners policy is usually pretty cheap, less than $100 per year. The buisness policy is more expensive, my runs about $450 per year for minimum income.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:25 PM   #3

What Caboose said about a business policy is true.

What I would caution you about, is the rider route. Be very specific when you talk to your insurance agent about what is covered and what isn't with using your homeowners policy.

Does a deductible apply?

Does a claim possibly affect your rates or could you be dropped (like you can for making a claim on your homeowner's policy)?

I know State Farm offers Personal Articles policies for things like camera gear and jewelry. You have to identify and provide proof of purchase for every item covered on the policy. There is no deductible, it covers loss or breakage for any reason, anywhere (unlike some home owners policies) and doesn't affect your homeowner's insurance.

I say it is absolutely essential. About 18 months ago I had over $2000 in camera gear destroyed - I had an insurance policy so I had new gear within about 2 weeks.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:42 PM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
What I would caution you about, is the rider route. Be very specific when you talk to your insurance agent about what is covered and what isn't with using your homeowners policy.

Does a deductible apply?

Does a claim possibly affect your rates or could you be dropped (like you can for making a claim on your homeowner's policy)?
This is very true also, before I switched to the buisness policy. I provided them a list of all my equipment, with serial numbers, and receipts, and made sure I have replacement costcoverage.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:49 AM   #5

I also have state farm's personal article policy. It is very cheap, I pay $60 for $4k-$5k of stuff. Worth it, IMHO.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote