Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:54 AM   #1

I've owned a 20D for 18 months and use it a lot for shooting high-school sports events -- football and volleyball this time of year. For the past several weeks, each time I use my camera -- several times a week -- I'll be shooting along on AF, using a Tamron 55-200 f4-5.6 lens, and after a dozen or so shots, the camera just shuts down. The top-of-camera info screen is blank, the shutter button won't fire, but the camera's on-off switch is still in the "on" position.*Turning the power switch off and then on again does nothing. The only thing I've found so far that sort of seems to work is to switch the position of the two batteries in the power battery grip compartment that is screwed into the bottom of my camera. Then, after awhile -- maybe 40 more shots -- the same problem happens again. At that point, I have to insert two fresh batteries and keep my fingers crossed that the shutdown doesn't occur before the end of the game or match. Yesterday at a 7th grade football game -- 1 1/2 hours -- this problem occurred three times. This shut-down problem also occurs at any shutter speed and with or without flash, as I shoot games and other events both indoors and outside.I am using standard Canon-labeled/manufactured rechargeable batteries (BP511-A). When I get home and put them in the charger, each takes less than 15 minutes to recharge, and usually one of each pair (I have 5 of these batteries) is not discharged at all and shows a steady red light on the charger after 1 or 2 minutes.I've also tried switching the focus choice from AF to manual -- no improvement -- and also switched among "one-shot, " "AI Focus" and "AI Servo" modes with no improvement, either.Because I'm shooting sports, I prefer to use the "AI Focus" mode.If anyone has any idea what the source of the problem may be or what I could try next, I'd really appreciate your input. The high-school sports season for volleyball and football still has three weeks to run here in Ohio, and I hate to give up my primary camera to the repair shop before that. Actually, I'd like to avoid the repair shop altogether, but I am not sure at this point whether than is possible!Any thoughts or suggestions?Thanks million!
Bishop75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2

Most people I've read aboutwith this problemultimately wind up sendingthe camerain for repair.

However, I would do two things first to test the camera. Loose the grip ... put a known good battery into the camera itself and see if that fixes things. Also, how old are your batteries and how many shots have you taken with them? Batteries go bad, although I've only had to replacetwo in two years (both bp511a'sreportedfull charge, but did not have or hold full charges).

In the grip, a bad battery can pull downa good battery very fast ... at least that's been my experience.

So, personally, I'd borrow or buy a new, known good battery, charge it, and put it directly into the camera without the grip. If the problem persists, I am sure Canon will advise repairing it.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:55 AM   #3

I think it's a problem with your batteries. I have both generic and Canon brand BP-511A batteries. I also have generic and Canon brand battery chargers. All my batteries take longer than 15 minutes to recharge on either charger when the batteries are fully discharged. I agree...take the grip out of the equation and use 1 battery at a time to better isolate the problem. BTW, does your grip have gold or silver contacts?
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:44 AM   #4

Boy, I hope it's a problem with batteries. I'll try taking off the battery grip and shooting a long series or a game with just one inserted in the camera body itself.My battery grip -- BG-E2 -- has an array of 11 gold prongs.By the way, the battery indicator on the display at the top of the camera body always shows a full charge.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5

BE absolutely SURE the battery you choose is GOOD ... as I implied earlier, it may be a battery problem or a grip problem (or both). If you have a known good battery, use it in the camera itself and see what happens. I suspect you have a couple of bad batteries among the 5 you have ... at least let's hope that is the problem; otherwise I'm afraid it will be the repair center.

On Edit: As toyour display showing a full charge or your charger indicating a full charge. Over the years I have had many battery indicators show full charge when the battery simply could not hack it. Granted, that was more common with NiCad cells ... but like I mentioned previously, I had a couple of Canon batteries go down (as well as some Infolithium cells from Sony for their cameras).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:04 PM   #6

I'm with hgernhardtjr. I think the problem is with the grip. If the problem happens when you have a good batter installed in the camera itself, without the grip, well then you may have a camera problem. I would try it with all ofyour batteries though, just in case one of them was bad.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:40 PM   #7

Thanks, guys. I'll try working without the grip and see what happens. Truly appreciate the advice!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:02 PM   #8

Sell it and buy a Nikon. I've used Nikons for over 25 years and they have never needed a repair.

My collegues use Nikon, Canon, Leica and the odd Pentax. The Nikons are most durable and reliable.
Billie Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:18 PM   #9

Billie Bob wrote:
Quote:
Sell it and buy a Nikon. I've used Nikons for over 25 years and they have never needed a repair.

My collegues use Nikon, Canon, Leica and the odd Pentax. The Nikons are most durable and reliable.
funny, I bought my first Canon in 1971 and have never needed a repair. Guess it just boils down to which one you like. I don't think there is too much difference in reliability in the major brands, but they all will put out a lemon once in a while too.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:47 AM   #10

Thanks, everyone for your helpful replies -- except for the one about getting rid of my Canons and going with Nikon. I switched from Nikon to Canon in 1977 and have never looked back ... Turns out there's a recall on the BG-E2 battery grip for Canon cameras. I have to box up the grip and send it in. They'll either fix it or replace it, depending upon what the bench test shows;Again, thanks for the help!*