Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:13 PM   #1

Default Canon software with D10

I received my 10 D last week and have been unable to install the solution disk that came with it. I get the following error message:
1607: Unable to install Installshield Scripting Runtime.

I called Canon and they blamed Windows XP. I called my computer co - Dell. They told me to let the computer detect the software from the camera. I did this and the drivers were installed, but none of the other programs from the CD were installed. Does anyone have the same problem, or know of a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:32 AM   #2

Don't know anything about this problem, but have you checked the latest updates for XP ? There might be a solution for you. Try search om Microsoft website for "Runtime files".
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 3:46 PM   #3

I have XP Pro. I keep my system very up to date with respect to OS patches.

I got my 10D a few weeks ago. I didn't install any of the software for awhile because I didn't need it. I used a CF reader to get the pictures, and irfanview to edit.

When I finally did get around to plugging in the camera to the USB port, it detected it just fine. I believe the instructions specifically said that XP doesn't need the drives on the disk to see the camera. This is how it worked out for me. I didn't have to put in either the XP cd or the 10D cd.

When I wanted to set the date/time and owner on the camera, I did have to load the software from the CD. The autorun worked fine and I was able to install them without trouble. I don't remember what (if any) setting I needed to choose.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 5:58 PM   #4

I don't think you miss anything of not install the CD from the camera box. When the 10D came to me, the only 3 things I took out from the box is the camera itself and the battery pack BP-511 and the charger, everything else stay in the box, there is a CD "Adobe photoshop element 2.0" and I don't even pay attention enough to know it's a full or strip off version. I use the CF card reader via USB and my photoshop version 7.0. Until now, I'm not sure what comes with the camera if you ask me...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 7:13 PM   #5

The elements is the full version, for what its worth.

I really only installed the software because:
1) I don't have a raw converter (not that I've used raw yet, but I plan to.)
2) I wanted to set the date/time and owner of the camera. I didn't know how to do it without the software.

And I found the extra benefit that their software seems a bit faster at rendering thumbnail pictures in a directory than irfanview. I haven't seen if elements does it fast or not. I don't really like their software, thought. The interface doesn't mesh with how I expect things to work.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 4:12 AM   #6

Looks, as if I would not be the only one, which uses IrfanView and says: let CANON soft where it is ... :P
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 6:18 AM   #7
NHL

Well I haven't installed the software either, but eventually everyone will have to if they want to access the sophisticated RemoteCapture function... It looks like you can control everything from that laptop including aperture/shutter speeds or metering! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW it says WIA driver for XP/ME and TWAIN driver for all other OS. MAC is another path...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Well I haven't installed the software either, but eventually everyone will have to if they want to access the sophisticated RemoteCapture function... It looks like you can control everything from that laptop including aperture/shutter speeds or metering! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is one of the great option if you're in the business of setting a booth in the mall, taking picture of folks(mostly children) with Santa at Chirstmas time...

Right now, I'm not going to mess with it, phtoshop 7.0 has enough functions for me to use at this time.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote