Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:32 PM   #11

For really nice wide angle shots, try shooting panoramas.

My favorite panorama software is at www.photostitch.net. It's a freeby and works great. Using your kit lens (or any other you own) just aim your camera and fire off a series of shots. The software connects the exposures together in any order (the software is smart enough to figure out the order)., producing a connected .JPG file you can edit with your existing software. The software does horizontal/vertical stitching resulting in great "wide angle" shots.

Try this before you buy a new lens.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:27 PM   #12

Thanks Wildman... I'm familiar with photostitch. But I rarely do panoramas. The few I've done have been in Photoshop. There's not much you can't do in the Adobe CS2 suite.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 2:57 AM   #13

FaciaBrut,

I can also recommend photostitching as a handy option for panoramas. I've never done this with a house, but I do know that sometimes "straight lines" can be difficult to photostitch together (to do with vanishing points and so on)... usually I've found photo stitching working best with landscapes.

Still let us know how you go. How is the Sigma 28-200mm serving you?

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:33 AM   #14

You know, i have the 17-85 IS and am very pleased with the results it is a very good walk around lens, here is a couple samples on how the IS works they were both shot at full tele, and shutter speed was at 0.8.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:06 PM   #15

IS is not very good at full f length... maybe 2 -3 stops,*I see that with my camera and this is out of focus as well... or am I missing the point
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:21 PM   #16

i had the 17-85 IS. its a pretty good lens. even at 85 the is worked fine. I am guessing may be u have a bad copy. The images were sharp. At 17 there were some softness issues but if u take most of the 17- rrange lens at 17mm its pretty difficult for the lens to deliver.

I am talking about shots around 1/15- 1/30 of a second. below that its about how stable you are no matter whether u have IS or NOT

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:27 PM   #17

OOOOH, my mistake....Sorry* I was coonfusing the pics* from Hercules above my post an not yours
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:15 PM   #18

LOL... they are certainly not MY pics as I haven't even received my camera yet!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:54 PM   #19

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i had the 17-85 IS. its a pretty good lens. even at 85 the is worked fine. I am guessing may be u have a bad copy. The images were sharp. At 17 there were some softness issues but if u take most of the 17- rrange lens at 17mm its pretty difficult for the lens to deliver.

I am talking about shots around 1/15- 1/30 of a second. below that its about how stable you are no matter whether u have IS or NOT

Vj
No i don't have a bad copy, that picture was shot way below 3 stops basically i just wanted to see how below i could go without to much blur, by the way you been to Graceland, that's one place i will be headed when i take a trip to the states.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 5:08 PM   #20

Graceland is a fun "touristy" place, but if you are going to visit Tennessee, the place to see is Nashville, also known as "Music City", the home of country music.