Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:47 PM   #1

The difference between extra lens in the Kits:

"Twin lens kit A"
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 telephoto zoom lens

"Twin Lens Kit"
EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 telephoto zoom lens

Which lens is better? I don't quite understand teh difference between them...

Before anyone tells me to google -- I've tried.. but i'm still lost...

any help appreciated

thanks!
brokeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2006, 3:04 PM   #2

Hi Brokeng,

And welcome to the forums.

I have seen both lenses and briefly held and used both (in a shop).

There is not much difference in quality between these lenses (both in terms of optics and build quality). Obviously the 75-300mm has a bit of a "wider" angle than the 90-300mm lens.

You should note that BOTH lenses have 2 (or more) versions. The "normal" version as well as the USM version. The USM version is faster (and quieter) focussing and when compared in price is a bit more money than the "normal" version.

And as far as I know the 75-300mm lens ALSO has an IS version (one of Canon's first IS (image stabilized) lenses. That helps to avoid shake / blur (especially at long focus lengths in darker light). But I don't think that would be packaged as a "kit" lens. Use higher ISO to help have a faster shutter speed to avoid / minimize blur.

These lenses are average quality telezoom lenses. Not the very cheapest, but most telezoom lenses are higher quality. STill you can have lots of fun using them and if you know how to use a camera well and use a lens within it's limits you can produce good to very good results from any of these lenses.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:59 PM   #3

Thanks so much Paul, you answered my question.

I was just a bit confused because I couldn't find the "Twin Lens Kit" they have in the shop on the Canon website -- they only have A & B. I guess I must've gotten an older package.

...now back to all those lens tutorials...

thanks again
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:49 AM   #4

Glad I was able to be helpful to you.

Hope all goes well with your purchase (and those lens tutorials!!).

By the way, which lens tutorials are you using?

All the best.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:59 AM   #5

Hi Paul,

I'm using the following tutorials:

http://photo.net/making-photographs/lens

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...era-lenses.htm

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_focal_length.html

Just tutes that a google search turned out... Some of the ones I found are rather technical.

Can I ask another question? On my old camera, an ordinary point and shoot non-slr, i had an optical zoom of 3x. How do I know what that value is for a particular lens? say the 90-300mm lens...

cheers,

brokeng
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:06 AM   #6

brokeng wrote:
Quote:
Can I ask another question? On my old camera, an ordinary point and shoot non-slr, i had an optical zoom of 3x. How do I know what that value is for a particular lens? say the 90-300mm lens...

cheers,

brokeng
the '3x' you see/hear is not a very helpful number. It is a ratio of the longest focal length to the shortest focal length available on the given camera. Now, most digicams start off in the 28-36mm range so the '3x' or '4x' isn't too horribly misleading. But in the realm of SLR lenses, a 200-400mm is 2x (400/200) and a 50-150mm lens is 3x (150/50). So the term is completely misleading and useless.

For your example, a 90-300mm lens would be 3.3x

If you look at the specs for any digicam you should find in addition to the '3x' statement a statement for what the equivelent focal length really is: e.g. 28mm-84mm or 36mm-108mm (both of which are 3x lenses)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote