Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:32 PM   #1

I am an amateur photographer in the process of buying a Canon 30D and had originally packaged it with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens packaged with all the trimmings. After talking to the sales agent for some time, however, he pushed me towards the *NEW* Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF SLD Autofocus Lens. I can find product reviews for older models of Sigma lenses with the same specs and quite frankly they didn't rate well, although, considering the price that this lens is put at I feel that it must be significantly better? The original Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 Lens goes for just a few hundred while this *New* version is apparently worth $1,399 according to their site.

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=8916&start=1

Basically, what I would like to know is if anyone has used this newer version of this Sigma lens and if they feel that it lives up to the hype that the sales guy was putting forth, or if I should revert back to my original feelings and get the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens or perhaps the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Autofocus Lens, even though either of these cost less according to the same site?

One other thing, you might want to know the way I intend to use this equiptment before you go recommending lenses for me. I spend a lot of time in Kenya and intend to eventually settle there permanently. I would be using this camera and lens mostly in a walk around style, or from trucks if on safari. I also participate in a lot of ecological projects there and do foot based exploration of the bush as well. It can be dusty there, which is why I was insisting on L's in the first place, so I need to know that the build quality of the lenses are good, and not just the optical quality. So I need to be sure that even if the optics of this Sigma are superb... can it survive when subjected to my potential conditions? Not that I'll intentionally abuse my lenses of course, but I have to think about all the posibilities.

Thanks in advance,

Erick
berickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:34 PM   #2
NHL

berickf wrote:
Quote:
The original Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 Lens goes for just a few hundred while this *New* version is apparently worth $1,399 according to their site.

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=8916&start=1
Haha... Stay away frome theses guys :-) :-) :-) !!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:40 PM   #3

Yeah,

I'm thinking that I should just tell them to send me the lens I originally wanted... can't go wrong with L lenses.
berickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:44 AM   #4

NHL is right, you want to be very careful with this outfit.
See http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews78950.html for some horrible reviews.

Check yourself by googling "express camera reviews".
Good luck
Albertdebruijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

before making a purchase at any store on the internet make sure you check them out at

http://www.resellerratings.com

and this is what they have to say about express camera:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1805.html

stay away from these scammers.

first you see the price you feel: :lol::-) :?

after they scam you they :blah:

then you initially feel :?

then

then you will call them again and again :P to get you merchandise or $ back

which will make you go :? because you need to call claims

so take advice from those who have been scammed once by :evil:

dont let it happen to you.

photov :G.
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:15 PM   #6

sometimes it happes that only bad ratings are enetered and it appears some stores have horrible ratings

for example 47st.Photo in reseller ratings as around 2.89 as store ratings. But i have bought stuffs from them. I bought the sigma 12-24 from them last august. The transaction was smooth

I called them to place the order and they had a good price. Unlike 500 dollors down the normal price:blah:they had a decent price. I was going on a vacation and wanted that lens immidiately.

They never hassled me to buy extra stuffs. They asked once, but when u said no they proceeded witht he order. they even did one day shipping for around 25 dollors and i got the lens the next day. A brand new sigma warrantied 12-24.

I would recomment 47st.photo.

I am just trying to say sometimes these ratings can be misleading. The same shop has a life time ratings for 9 but last six months ratings for 2.89.

The main reason i find is when everything goes well like mine, i never bothered to update any ratings in their site. So the positive ratings are never entered ever.

Just an experince with one such stores. The ratings do reflect the stores problems. But as i said there are few stores which are really good

Another one is Letstalk.com. they have horrible reviuew and ratings. But i have had good experience. All my friends bought fones from this site only. They are very professional.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:35 PM   #7

all the comments about the seller aside (i tend to concur, avoid "no-name" online retailers, especially those located in Brooklyn!), i think if you can afford "L" lenses, you won't go wrong. they're top of the heap for quality and optics. but they are pricey, and it's debatable whether or not the build quality or durability is any better than the top lenses from Sigma or Tamron.

if you're looking at a Sigma lens, get one from the "EX" series. that's their top of the line lens. otherwise, i'd stick with the "L" lenses from Canon. for a short zoom, i can also recommend the Tamron SP AF 24-135 f 3.5-5.6. it's a solid, well built lens, and ona 30Dit yieldsthe samefocal range of 38-215mm as the Sigma, which is an ideal zoom range for a "walkabout" lens. plus, with its wider zoom range, you won't need to change lenses as often as with a 24-70, and in a dusty environment, that's a plus. it also offers a usable macro function, focusing to 10" (~25cm) at 135mm. i use it on my own 30D with excellent results. the cost is quite reasonable - i got mine for about $400 US from Norman Camera in Minnesota, and can also personally attest to their excellent customer service - unlike some of the other online sellers who only want to rob you blind and often don't deliver what you ordered, or try to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't want or need.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote