Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 11, 2003, 1:10 AM   #1

Default 10D Room Shot Advice

My first post

I'm an art director (graphics) and a knowledgeable film/digital photographer. We just purchased the 10D and couldn't be happier with it. Only have one lens, a Quantaray 28-200 f3.something. It ain't as smooth as a Canon lens but it takes excellent shots.

I had worked with professional photographers before and would watch them shoot mostly medium format color negs (some chromes) of interiors of special events (the decorated room with 100 tables BEFORE people messed it up, and to capture cool stage lighting). Many of these shots utilized a cable release, long exposures and often painting the scene with a strobe. I know the 10D has a bulb setting, I just haven't used it yet.

I need to raise my skills up so I can reliably take shots like those with my new baby for use in print and web and was looking for some techniques and/or a good source of info such as a book or video.

Thanks.

Alex
Alex Campuzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2003, 4:05 AM   #2

Default Re: 10D Room Shot Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Campuzano
I know the 10D has a bulb setting, I just haven't used it yet.
I also haven't used it yet .... but I think you need a remote to use it.

TC80N3
or
RN80N3
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:25 AM   #3
NHL

I've not tried it yet, but may be remote capture with a USB cable though a laptop could be handy as well if you want to save on the remote cord, or don't have access to one in the mean time... Plus you can see the results of your experiments right away! 8)

The other way is to set the camera on the built-in timer and let the camera do the shooting with AE without having to touch it while it's doing the long exposure... :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:04 AM   #4

Default Re: Room Shots

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know about the remote and the remote software both of which are great solutions.

I guess I'm looking more for the best settings on the camera itself. There are so many options like white balance, temperature, aperature and exposure times. What about shooting in RAW format? FYI I have a 1GB CF card, so I can cram a ton of large files in there.

That sort of thing.

Thanks.

Alex
Alex Campuzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 9:03 AM   #5

If you're doing commercial shooting, I'd use raw, because your time is money. Yes, you'll spend more time editing the picture, but in theory you won't be holding up an entire room retaking pictures as often (if you missed it the first time around.)

You'll obviously want a good tripod.

That lens might not be wide enough. You might consider this one:

Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-193 Auto Focus Zoom Lens for Canon EOS

The problem with it is the f3.5, but the 19 will be fairly wide after that 1.6x crop factor. I've read good things about its distortion (little) and chromatic aboration (good, but also probably less of a problem because you'll be indoors.)

If you do go this route, make sure its the newer version. The older one (same specs, listed as a Tokina lens) is actually made by Quantaray and isn't nearly as good as the newer really-Tokina made version.

Some people also like:
Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:21 AM   #6

Default Re: Room Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Campuzano
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know about the remote and the remote software both of which are great solutions.

I guess I'm looking more for the best settings on the camera itself. There are so many options like white balance, temperature, aperature and exposure times. What about shooting in RAW format? FYI I have a 1GB CF card, so I can cram a ton of large files in there.

That sort of thing.

Thanks.

Alex
This sort of thing don't come over by tips and instructions. You have to actually experience yourself. Taking picture using manual mode is one of the most enjoyable thing to do, but sometimes it's also painful. The more you learn about photography, the worst you feel but you will have some rewarding moments with your results. I suggest you check out some books relate to the above mentioned subjects. Go shoot some pictures, post them in here, share with us and we will share with you our thoughts, may be we can all learn together through the process.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
If you do go this route, make sure its the newer version. The older one (same specs, listed as a Tokina lens) is actually made by Quantaray and isn't nearly as good as the newer really-Tokina made version.

Eric
Actually, it's the other way arround, Tokina made lens for Quantaray (the 19-35mm) with little different specs than the one they put their name on, Quantaray doesn't manufacture any lens (same as Vivitar), they contract others to make lense for them. In the past, most of their lenses were made by Sigma.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:32 AM   #8

I don't have the experience to argue with you, I can only refer you to where I read it. I agree that many times Tokina, Quantaray, and others don't make their lenses, and they switch vendors between lenses (which is one reason one len can be good and another bad from the same middle-tier lens vendor. The good one is actually made by a different company than the bad one, neither of which is the company selling it!)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5210657

Look down a couple posts in the thread.

Either way, the end result is that you have to watch out which Tokina you get. If you get the "good version" you will be happy, if not.. it will be bad in many ways. The trouble is that they didn't change it in such a way that you can tell on the web which version is it. There isn't a "mark II" or anything in the name.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:55 AM   #9
NHL

Quote:
Quantaray doesn't manufacture any lens (same as Vivitar), they contract others to make lense for them.
May be I'm getting old, and Vivitar may have dropped their ball now, but they did make their name and the best "Series 1" zooms at one time or another! Hey but that's just history...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote