Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1

I just saw an add for an adapter to mount a Canon FD lens to a EF digital mount. I'm wondering if anybody has used one, and are they a good item. It seems like a great way to get good lenses at a reasonable price. Need advice please.
fingo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:17 PM   #2

I was thinking the same thing as I found that I had a couple of FD lenses stashed away but after reading several websites addressing the issue, I concluded it would be a waste of money and effort. Just do some searching with Google and I think you'll agree with me.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:47 PM   #3

Thanks FasciaBrut, the idea was a good one at least.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:43 AM   #4

Yeah, I'm new to this Canon forum, but I suspect this subject has been beat to death in older posts. Basically, what I found was that there were two types of adapters... one was simply hardware with no glass elements and one with glass. Both seem to be available used on eBay. The problems were mainly the inability to focus to infinity, having to focus manually, and having to focus with the aperture wide open, then manually closing it down to the desired f stop before shooting.

I think most people concluded that the only justification for using an adapter is if you have an extremely large full professional level FD lens. But if you're using smaller consumer quality FD mount glass, it's just not worth the hassle.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:44 PM   #5

I agree. Thanks again.

Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:14 PM   #6

And don't forget you have to be shooting something that allows you to take so much time.

Many subjects won't allow that (moving kids, setting sun) and just change too quickly.
If you were in a more controlled environment it might work.

And yes, this question does come up every now and then. I wouldn't call it "Beaten to death", but we take it out and flog it every now and then.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote